Is any of this solar stuff worth the money?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, May 1, 2018.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Seepalaces and BenP like this.
  2. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Depends I use one for an out building wire is expensive and I don't need the light all the time with LED technology the bulbs last forever and a battery can run them for a long time they can even be put on a motion sensor so you know if someone is around or in your buildings. a kit with a solar charge controller to keep from burning up or overcharging your batteries your wattage need to charge your battery fast enough to not run out of power for your string of lighting for a few days. I think I have seen a 400 watt wind charger if you have wind it may be a better option as it works night or day.

Seepalaces likes this.
  3. BenP

BenP Monkey+++

Not really, those solar lights might be worth what they are asking.

Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  4. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

thanks

Seepalaces likes this.
  5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Nope, not to me. Overpriced and unknown (to me) manufactures for the most part.

Seepalaces and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was advised not to purchase my solar from Northern Tool. If you are planning on having it for a long time it is best to invest in real solar equipment. But I have thought about buying that stuff from Northern just as a learning tool. I am one who learns by doing so it would be a cheap way to learn about solar power and what it takes.

Seepalaces and T. Riley like this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Their sale prices seem higher than what you can find the same things on the internet for. When Northern dropped "Hydraulics" in favor of "Tool" they upped the prices in my opinion. I have not found anything worth driving the 60 miles to my nearest one in 10 years or so.

Seepalaces likes this.
  8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I've never paid for my solar stuff, not as a finished item. The controllers were kit built. Batteries obtained fro the scrap vaule from golf carts (I got to test and pick)

As for panels...
    [​IMG]
    all over the desert southwest, there are solar-powered billboards. If the panels are damaged (usually shot up) they normally get tossed. The older (not thin film or polycrystalline ) panels are repairable, though with some loss of output.

Don't know what the outfits do these days, but if you have a sign co in your AO, might be worth asking...

Seepalaces and Dunerunner like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The price of solar is what it's worth to you.
    40 years ago I was buying any solar panel I could find even used ones @$100. an amp @12 volts.
    Some things it's worth waiting for but getting into solar and learning what your doing needs all the resources and helpful hints available . I use several oddballs and they all contribute . Had I known then what I know now I would have started sooner even for the fact it cost more to do it then.
    Every sunny day your with out solar your throwing money away .

Thunder5Ranch and Seepalaces like this.
  10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I've got one of those type of lights in my chicken coop with the panel mounted on a roof corner. Works great for gathering eggs and when cleaning out the coop. Got mine off of Amazon.

Seepalaces likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

12. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Tevin has some really great project tutorials on his site that are inexpensive and effective learning tools. Offgridham.com

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

It's all all math , when you know MATH and the number's of this stuff , YOUR being fleeced..
    Math is Electrical & vise ,,

Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

15. BenP

BenP Monkey+++

I bough my panels off ebay for about 50 cents per watt and you can get a real wind mill from Missouri wind and solar for around $600.

Seepalaces likes this.
  16. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Just to echo most of everyone else NOPE you can do better for less.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If it' the same stuff, or like the same stuff they had last time I was at northern it's way over priced cheap junk.

The $370, 165w 12v panel is a rip off. You can get a better panel for around half the price, shipped to you.
    Charge controllers are junk, inverters look like garbage.
    Spend the money on the charge controller and inverter.

18. Cruisin Sloth

B4 you spend , tell us your setup & life style , Don't dream & buy a kill-a-watt meter for YOU to learn !!

Sloth

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7