Ionizing Radiation Registry Health Exam for Veterans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Sep 28, 2019.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yes I am on this list, HK.

VA’s Ionizing Radiation Registry health exam alerts Veterans to possible long-term health problems that may be related to ionizing radiation exposure during their military service. The registry data helps VA understand and respond to these health problems more effectively.

Contact your local VA Environmental Health Coordinator about getting an Ionizing Radiation Registry health exam.

About the Ionizing Radiation Registry health exam
    This comprehensive health exam includes an exposure and medical history, laboratory tests, and a physical exam. A VA health professional will discuss the results face-to-face with the Veteran and in a follow-up letter.

[​IMG]
    Important points about registry health exams:

• Free to eligible Veterans and no co-payment
    • Not a disability compensation exam or required for other VA benefits
    • Enrollment in VA’s health care system not necessary
    • Based on Veterans’ recollection of service, not on their military records
    • Will not confirm ionizing radiation exposure
    • Veterans can receive additional registry exams, if new problems develop
    • Veterans' family members are not eligible for registry exam
    Eligibility for Ionizing Radiation Registry health exam
    Veterans who meet any of the following criteria are eligible:

• On-site participation in a test involving the atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device, whether or not the testing nation was the United States
    • Participation in the occupation of Hiroshima or Nagasaki from August 6, 1945 through July 1, 1946
    • Internment as a prisoner of war in Japan during World War II
    • Receipt of nasopharyngeal (NP)—nose and throat—radium irradiation treatments while in the active military, naval, or air service
    • Involved in the following "radiation-risk activities":
      • Service at Department of Energy gaseous diffusion plants at Paducah, KY, Portsmouth, OH, or the K25 area at Oak Ridge, TN, for at least 250 days before February 1, 1992 under certain conditions
      • Proximity to "Longshot," "Milrow," or "Cannikin" underground nuclear tests at Amchitka Island, AK, before January 1, 1974

2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Theoretically, the service retains records of radiation exposure for all those that were exposed occupationally in service. For example, reactor plant operators on subs and surface ships, and weaps folks that worked around boom-boom gadgets. Also for what it's worth, a number of those health records have been lost or accidentally destroyed as in the Navy records warehouse fire a number of years ago.

mysterymet likes this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Heard the "Fire" deal thing a 100 times. Never found it to be absolutely true as I ordered and recovered a set of microfiche that had survived the fire, a set stuck together and survived the fire.

In five years of ordering using form SF 180 we have always received the needed intel.
    Military Personnel Records, SF-180

I will say I think a lot of Lazy A$$ folks failed to read SF 180 and just got lazier and Hollered FIRE instead of trying all the avenues.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7