Hurt less?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Jul 18, 2019.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

that's the latest claim... comes from the brits....

Dropping F-Bomb Increases Pain Tolerance By A Third, Study Finds

LONDON — Can’t help but shout an expletive every time you stub your toe? Don’t feel too bad, you may actually be doing yourself a favor. A new study finds that swearing when injured has a measurable effect on pain tolerance. In fact, dropping the F-bomb specifically when in pain increases tolerance by up to 33%.

The study, led by a group of language and psychology experts in the United Kingdom, explored how effective established, new, and invented swear words can be in increasing pain tolerance and pain threshold.

The research is based on a 2009 study by Dr. Richard Stephens, a senior lecturer in psychology at Keele University, who found that swearing can increase pain tolerance for a short time. The new study investigated whether people could use more appropriate language when injured and get the same effect.

Stephens, along with language expert and author, Dr Emma Byrne, and acclaimed lexicographer Jonathon Green, created two invented swear words, “twizpipe” and “fouch,” for the study.

“After long discussions, we decided Twizpipe and Fouch were the best socially acceptable swear words, as they mimic real swear words quite closely,” Byrne explains in a statement. “Twizpipe mirrors the humorous element of swearing and is fun to say, whereas fouch is harsh-sounding and concise, similar to the existing four-letter swear word.”

more on site...

Dropping F-Bomb Increases Pain Tolerance By A Third, Study Finds

Gator 45/70, Oltymer, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The hospital chaplain administered the last rites to me after I got out of surgery for a ruptured appendix and torn open intestine in 2001. They couldn't believe I had walked into the emergency room. I didn't walk out for two weeks.

If my foul mouth was what almost killed me back then, I'm happy that now I can at least recognize when stuff ought to hurt.

I still curse up a blue streak when I hurt myself, in three languages, but if it helps,
    I'm going for it.

3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Interesting...now I got an excuse. LOL!

4. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

It's an important vent and ritual. Same goes for walking in circles and rubbing dirt on it.

Gator 45/70 and tacmotusn like this.
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

LOL, That MUST be why I have what is described as a very Focking high pain tolerance by Focking Doctors and Physical Focking Therapists.

Gator 45/70, Bandit99 and Zimmy like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Well then, that explain why I refer to politicians as Fing idiots. It hurts to listen to their dribble and scat.

Gator 45/70 and OldDude49 like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Dad taught me to say "Praise The Lord" when I got hurt .
    Praising God really does make a difference.
    Here is the reasoning.
    If you actually had the power to put a curse on things , doing so only made things worse .
    Giving praise to God is probably the most positive thing one can do ,and may draw His attention ,there by possibly making your situation better. One cannot manipulate God but , regarding Him with the praise He deserves, shows respect .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7