Hunting ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman1111, Sep 21, 2021.

1. oldman1111

oldman1111 Monkey

What are the deer hunters going to do for ammo this season? Walmart has no ammo,nobody in my small little town has any rifle ammo. There is some 12 ga ammo to be had but costly .I gave one of my best friend a box of .30-30 because he did not plan ahead.Tell me what you think. The local pawn shop has guns to sell but no ammo. The deer are going to really like this season.Night before last there were 7 deer in my yard and last night the hogs rutted up my yard. I have plenty of ammo but not able to hunt unless I shoot them from my front porch.
    [flag]

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It's hit and miss around here! You can find it but better grab a few boxes to check your rifle if you don't know how this ammo shoots through it, there is no selection, you get one or two choices and that's if your lucky!

I roll my own specific to each rifle, so, I'm golden!

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

And this is before the Biden games or SHTF. If you don't have physical hold of an object, ammo, gas, food, the list is endless, it may or may not be available in the future and may cost some crazy price. Haven't been able to find the border between being sure you continue the good life and prepping. The number of people with 30 30 rifles who would have done well to have the original Lee loader, a pound of powder, a couple hundred bullets and a couple hundred primers is endless.In my mind a total of perhaps 10% of the firearms in the USA are suitable for defense. No ammo, no skill in using them, concentrated in "collections" that well may be taken by the government when Karen calls the cops, in calibers and and firearms designs that look great but have little practical use.

STANGF150, Gator 45/70, GOG and 2 others like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Better look into reloading,, but then you've got to find the supplies. I think the commies have figured they're not going to get our guns ,, but they're going to try and stop our ammo flow .

GOG, duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Haven’t needed to buy factory in years :)

Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  6. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

During the Obummer years I collected brass from the Forest Service Range and reloaded it-- 270, 30-06. 30-30, 308, mainly and some odd calibers have it stored in ammo cans. Ammo for hunting more than a life time supply and will pass it down to my boys

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  7. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Same here. Thousands of primers, hundred pounds of power, and I-don't-know how many bullets......and that's after I run out of the factory loads. The time to stock up was 10-15 years ago. My Rockchucker press ain't fast, but what are you gonna do on rainy days anyway ?

STANGF150, johnbb, Yard Dart and 5 others like this.
  8. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

My Rockchucker isn’t fast, but neither am I!

johnbb, Ura-Ki, duane and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

When I was a boy (a long time ago) people used to hunt deer with 22 LR rifles; but those guys could shoot, and they aimed mostly for the head and heart; AND they knew how to track. Nowadays there's always black powder firearms, and bow and arrow as well. If I were starving I'd use any of the snares and/or drags that I also learned how to build when I was young.

10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Bow season opens here in a week and a half.

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I started to roll my own after Remington decided not to make their annual run for my rig back in 2018. I had an order in for 19 months before it finally became available and i grabbed a case of 200 rounds. That'll last a life time with reloading.

Ura-Ki, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

There is a lot of advantages to a bow. Powerful quiet and usually get to reuse the arrow.

13. duane

duane Monkey+++

If starving, a snare is the only way to go, no noise, reusable, "hunts" 24 hours a day. Not only for deer but all other animals. Same way fishing, bank lines, fish traps, trot lines, spearing, if you are hungry, they will feed you. Grand dad caught birds eating his tomatoes with a snare made from a horse hair, taken from a bracelet he wore, and threw them in the pot. Caught prairie chickens, pheasants, etc, with a fish hook, metal leader, and softened corn. Course at the time he was living in Dakota on a homestead in a sod house and needed all the help he could get. His mother was Lakota and his cousins and elders had taught him how to survive.
    Bows, crossbows, snares, spears, rabbit sticks, etc are very much under rated, a look at Bishops videos on primitive weapons is free and is likely a better investment than any book you could buy.

For guns, I like non gas operated ones as the lead cast bullets and gas system don't always cooperate..The old cartridges often were first loaded in black powder, that can be made, lead is around and can be melted into bullets, so all you really need to store is the primers. With the cartridge fired in the same rifle, neck resized, annealed as needed, trimmed to length, and with the low pressures of black powder, you can shoot one case many times. Haven't tried it with black powder, but with reduced target loads, it is at least 10 to 15 times.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

…..yep loading rifle on the Rockchucker that was my 14th birthday present !! Still does the job nicely. In my two main hunting rifles (.308 and .300win) I am shooting projectiles I stocked up on when I ran a shop (I finished there in 1990!). The AR2208 (you call it Varget) I am using is dated 1987.

in fairness for handgun rounds I have a progressive press as I use more of them in a sitting.

Ura-Ki, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

T-Fred is still on his quest for Nephilim ammo, Almost has it all put together ?

Ura-Ki and duane like this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Well if it will kill them Nephilim, then it will handle anything!
    If you can find ANY hunting ammo...buy it right then! We are getting some hunting ammo in where I work, but it is GONE as soon as they put it on the shelf! Don't wait until closer to hunting season, and don't waste a box of ammo zeroing in your rifle!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I load my own centerfires.
    If I see any on the shelves I'm not buying it at these ridiculous prices.
    I'll pay high prices for fresh, premium, 22lr ammo.

CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

We went through this ammo shortage during the O years. It came back to pretty much normal during Trump. You snooze you loose. Situational awareness needs to be on your list.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I only keep 1 bullet around,Just me and the wife + we buy 1/2 cow every year.

chelloveck likes this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't forget Holy Black!
    I still do quite a lot of muzzle loading, it's actually more efficient, and just as effective, and unlike the panic buying, powder and shot/projectiles and lead are still plentiful, perfect for molding your own custom bullets!
    I run both Percussion and Flint Lock, and have enough of both to last a few life times! The other main bonus is being able to make your own powder and harvest lead, both are quite readily available around the western states if you know what to look for and where! Don't forget, several modern smokeless cartridges can be loaded with black powder and cast lead bullets, and that can get you through difficult times, or make for a nifty downloaded cartridge when absolute power isn't needed, just remember to clean your rifle/pistol after shooting Holy Black, things can rust pretty quickly!

Performance is quite good, and depending on your set up, can actually exceed smokeless/cartridge performances in hunting applications! Don't forget, the old Black Powder Revolvers are also quite relevant today, and with such pistols as the Ruger Old Army, or Colt replicas of the 2nd model army (Dragoon) stopping power is exceptional!

For fighting, I wouldn't advise getting into a fight if it can be avoided, but if you keep calm, keep your wits about you, and only shoot when you have the advantages, you can do well! Remember, the more folks that can shoot back at you, the worse your chances, so take care, keep both eyes open, and your powder dry!

CraftyMofo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7