How To Revitalise Sad Store Bought Spring Onions

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Nov 2, 2021.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I like to use spring onions in my cooking.. they are very versatile, adding colour and flavour to a variety of dishes.

[​IMG]
    but occasionally a bunch of them would be forgotten, hidden at the back of the refrigerator behind other produce, and by the time they are discovered, they sometimes look withered and papery with the roots looking very brittle...My mother taught me a trick to resurrect them, so they weren't wasted in the trash bin.

Her solution was to simply plant them in a pot filled with potting mix, and give the plants a watering. The spring onions will reshoot, and will continue to grow...just pick them as required. I have had a bunch of spring onions growing in a pot for a couple of years...they grow to be somewhat similar to a leek and are a bit more fibrous and less delicate in texture, but taste is good....they are my go to resource if I have run out of onions and i need one for a recipe. they work as a decent substitute.

5 Amazing Benefits Of Spring Onions We Bet You Don't Know

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    SB21, Gator 45/70, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I regrow my green onions. I usually get 2-4 regrow before I throw them out. I noticed they get very pale, could be because they are not organic or I am clipping/using them too fast.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

My grandma used to have'em sitting on the window sills in a glass of water .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

That will last a little while, for a few extra days or so, but the shoots will rot if left immersed for an extended period of time. Planting in a free draining soil / potting mix will extend the life much longer, if they are not likely to be cooked immediately. I let some of the spring onions go to seed and propagate them for another crop.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7