How To Purge A New Propane Tank

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Illini Warrior, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

Here's the Right Way to Purge a Propane Tank - Survival Sullivan

Purging a brand new tank is the only way to ensure your tank remains free of impurities that can impede function or cause the tank to degrade and fail. Neither outcome is good, and either can be dangerous!

Luckily, purging is easily done with the right tools and knowledge of the procedure. We will tell you about both in this article.

mechstdr, natshare, Alanaana and 3 others like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I use a 2 stage vacuum pump to evacuate the air, then once it starts filling with liquid the propane fill guy opens the vent. I figure that gets all the air out.

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Same here , as above .
    Sloth

mechstdr and SB21 like this.
  4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Soon it'll be a moot point. Propane will be illegal because of global warming.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

This purging stuff is mostly nonsense.
    When the tank is filled, the vent is opened and much of the air in the tank bleeds out and that which doesn’t will vent the first time the tank is used. With a full tank, the liquid propane will occupy the bottom 80% of the tank and the gaseous propane is heavier than air and will tend to settle on top of the liquid with the air above so it exits first when the valve is opened.
    I’ve cut open old #20 propane tanks for various projects and they generally are fairly pristine inside.

4x4 likes this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Done the same as @Airtime
    I have inspected many older tanks (inside)
    THEY ARE IN BETTER SHAPE THAN the rust outside
    Sloth

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7