How many remember

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by apache235, Dec 3, 2022.

1. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Things like this used to be taught in schools, not any more and we are the worse off for it.

duane, OldDude49, crowdaddy and 4 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

And my favorite

3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

We were taught civics in school. Rememner this?

johnbb, Minuteman, duane and 3 others like this.
  4. Does anyone else remember saying the pledge of allegiance to the flag?
    Does anyone remember if you pissed your teacher off enough, you got sent to the principals office, and got introduced to the Board of Education?
    Do you remember if you pissed your mom off enough to tell your dad when he got home from a hard day's work.... Then he pulled off his belt and made you think twice about how not to piss your mom off that bad that she told him what you did?
    Remember when if you wanted to buy something special for you or your kids, you worked harder and saved enough money to pay for it yourself?
    There are people who make things happen.
    Those who wait for things to happen. And those who say what the hell happened????
    I've always made shit happen. But now I wonder, what the hell happened.

3cyl, johnbb, Minuteman and 11 others like this.
  5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

/\ /\ /\ This is exactly my life experience, except at the very end. I know what happened. I might've had to do a little research to get the details right, but time has proven me right on everything.

Dunerunner likes this.
  6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I think a big part is the inability to smack the shit out of people that deserve it. And the people causing it know we aren't going to knock them on their ass for it. We have become a kinder gentler society that lets the dregs run wild, puking their views in social media while the civilized among us go about our daily lives. We are still at a stage in our evolution that the fear of pain is important for behavior modification. If you don't spank the child, he has no fear of doing wrong.
    I too was raised during the good times, said the Pledge, went to Church, and faced the wrath of the switch (Mom) and the belt (Dad). There were many times the school principal and even a coach or two were happy to administer their own corrective actions.
    I think eventually the decent among us will rise up and say "enough".

duane, CraftyMofo and Altoidfishfins like this.
  7. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

As I recall there were a couple of cities in days of old that pretty much went the way we are today and Someone was annoyed by their decadence and He shortened their longevity by a considerable amount. Perhaps the poles reversing might be our equivalent? Kinda like the combination of the great flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, and Atlantis disappearing. Should be Biblical.

8. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

I can remember sitting in the classroom with the door open. Someone in another class would be in the hallway getting the paddle applied. We all heard it and we all took note, wanting to make sure we were not the next to feel the pain.

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I think we went to the same school!! I believe that people have gotten used to the anonymity provided by the internet and social media. They can call out someone and verbally berate them in front of a huge audience without repercussions. Do that in person and you might find yourself in a bit of trouble. Civility is gone in most large cities. I guess folks have just found it too difficult to be nice.

SB21 likes this.
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

LOL

1970, Catalina HS, Tucson.

The Dean of Boys (Mr. Bell) applied a paddle to an 18YO. This guy rode a horse to school each day, parking the animal out under the football stadium.

When the Dean was done, the kid asked, "You finished?"

When the Dean said yes, the kid KO'd the Dean - knocked him over his desk. Walking out, he told the secretary that the dean was taking a nap - being tired and all.
    The cops showed up around a half hour later when the secretary found out what happened.

Long story short - the Dean demanded the kid be arrested. Cop turned the kid asked hm what happened.
    The replay "He hit me first. It was self-defense."

And that was the end of corporal punishment in the Tucson School district. Haircut and dress code disappeared early that same year. Long hair, beards and chix in jeans. Whatta way to end a senior year.

GOG, Dunerunner, CraftyMofo and 2 others like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The Dean should have been arrested “on the spot” for Assault… I do not care who you are or what your job is, you lay hands on another Adult (18+year old) first, you get charged with Assault… Cop made the Right Call on the Self Defense… Dean should be fired for “Stupid Thinking” and never work with kids again…. My opinion, YMMV…

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7