How long?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman11, Oct 6, 2020.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

How long do you think the price of ammo will be this high? Will there be more advailable or not? If Biden is elected all bets are off and the price might even go higher. If Trump is re-elected the price should come down and be more advailable. I feel sorry for people that are buying their first firearm. Us old timers can blame no one but themselves for being without ammo as they should have known better.l started buying extra ammo thirty years ago and have been putting some extra back as I could. The only problem I have now is grandkids who like to shoot the old mans ammo. But still $1.00+ rd for .45 acp is unreal and no .38 special. The .32 swl ,.32-20,.32 hr mag,.41 mag ,.22 hornet and .45colt are still able to be found.
    [flag]

2. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

History tells us no matter who is elected you will never pay what we paid for ammo again. My wife and I I are plinking with BB's and pellets. Thus said, I will pay through the nose for some 300 blk sub right now.

3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I'm looking for cheap 8mm Mauser at this point.
    Don't judge me.

oldawg, GOG, Oddcaliber and 10 others like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

The Grandkids need to be taught how to reload:D

3cyl, GOG, Alf60 and 5 others like this.
  5. Tully Mars

Not at all DW. It's still out there but sadly the price is going up like everything else. If you look hard there are still some deals to be had. I scored a bunch of Yugo this summer for a decent price, and it was even belted.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

If some one would remake the .30 carbine for about $400.

Maybe Ruger could do them for $500?

7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Demand is high and production is pretty much static. Ammo is no different than food in that it as a consumable and there will always be demand for more....... The firearms have to eat you know :)

I started buying some air rifles about 10 years back and have not been disappointed with them over all. The .22-.32 Cals are great little squirrel and rabbit plinkers and the .50 cal that Mrs. T5R will never stop reminding that it was expensive......... Will drop a deer and it is easy to cast the ammo for all the airgun caliburs. No brass, powder or primers requires :)

Mountainman, Dont, Lancer and 5 others like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Supply and demand?

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Eventually the market will saturate assuming we don't degenerate into CW2. The election results won't change things so much as it did the last time. The last time sales were driven by those on the right who were fearful of the expected Clinton win, and when it didn't happen sales slowed and prices fell dramatically.

This time around if Trump wins the big change is that the left discovered firearms, so no matter who wins the side that doesn't like the outcome will continue to buy so saturation will take longer. Give it time, and many will sell off when they no longer feel as fearful. In that case you MAY see a temporary dip in price.

If demand continues a long time post election, then manufacturers will increase production and eventually prices will come down, but never again to the levels of a few years ago. That will be mostly due to the massive inflation that's coming because of the TRILLIONS of USD created out of thin air due to the stimulus packages this year.

10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

And that was prior to 2020 a major factor and will be even more amplified going forward. trillions were being added without the covid crap, Covid just made it go at warp speed because most of the Country prepares for nothing and the Government solution to every problems is PRINT MORE MONEY! CREATE MORE DEBT!! AND MORE REGULATIONS!!! Proactive VS Reactive, those of us that are proactive were fairly well prepared for 2020. The vast majority of folks were not and have found that being a dependent of the Government and its reactive nature works until the milk flowing from the Government teat slows to a trickle. A long time ago there was this fella that wrote a story about a ant and grasshopper............... :) 6 generations from now when they are speaking Chinese in the USA and working 16 hour shifts to pay off the debt we are creating today......... I think they will not remember their ancestors fondly :(

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I roll my own out of 5.56 brass. Cut em off with a harbor freight chop saw, size them and load with whatever bullets I have lying arounf. Built 5000 rounds a while back. They run just fine on rock and roll even out of my very short barrels.

12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Make the grandkids get their own ammo. Heres why . My grandpa would let me go hunting,, squirrels and rabbits , he would give me 2 #6 loads of 410 ,, and 1 slug. And off I went. If I didn't return with food , he knew I was playing around and wasting ammo . When I shot my BB gun ,,, I was made to buy my own BB's ,,, that will teach them trigger discipline.

3cyl, Mountainman, techsar and 3 others like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

The only rim fire ammo I can find locally are 17 win super mag which I don't have, 17HMR and 22 shorts.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  14. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I give it 18 months. Maybe less. I've been.through so many cycles of this roller-coaster that it's hard to remember.

@madmax nailed the inflation. I hear talk at the range about great deals on battle packs of surplus ammo. I thought they were talking $200 a case, but they're paying $200 a battle pack. ($1000 a case)

SKS and 91/30s going for $300, but I still think they ought to be $50 and $35.

Probably never see twenty-five cent boxes of .22 again, but then I'm not making $80 a week now either.

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  15. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I settled on .22 LR as a standard for our hand guns and .223/5.56 for rifles some time ago due to the availability of ammo and got rid of most of my other guns. If we want to target practice it is usually .223 or .22 LR.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Last week I scored a 100 round WWB 45acp at Academy for $42.50. That's with tax. Can't find 9mm,38/357 still but I loaded up on them before all this crap went down.

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  17. Tully Mars

I went ahead and bought the trim/sizer die for my Dillon trimmer. Put a dent in my pocketbook but it works well. I've been using .303 British cast lead boolits with a gas check for some of my sub sonic loads. Recently started using PC on them as well. I will say the PC is pretty cool. I haven't got wild with the colors but it allows you to run much softer lead at near jacketed velocities.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I was going to get a surplus K98 in 8mm Mauser several years ago, but realized that I would have to spend several hundred dollars to buy ammo for it. Also, 8mm was never easy to find or cheap to begin with.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

The Mr picked it up for $49 long before I met him. It's the only thing we don't have much ammo for.

20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I was looking at K98s that were in the $200-300 price range, some were WW2 surplus from Russia, some came from Israel, and some were post-war Yugoslavian manufacture. I'm glad that I looked into the price and availability of ammo before I bought one though, as the ammo would have easily cost much more than the gun. It's a good idea to have a few boxes of odd-ball ammo on hand, 8mm and .303 Brit come to mind, but I wouldn't want to own a weapon in that caliber...actually I would like to have one, but I'm not going to buy one, and no one is gonna give me one and even if they did I'd have to buy ammo for it. It's a vicious circle!

Gator 45/70 and ditch witch like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7