Here Is My Proposal to STOP Mass Shootings.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Antero, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Antero

Antero Monkey

Shooting fish in a bucket wouldn't be so easy they could shoot back.

Obviously taking guns away isn't going to work. It will only hurt the law-abiding citizens. Stricter background checks sound great but the law takes advantage of the situation. I am sure there are many examples but here is one. In Massachusetts If you have a dui or the police have ever been called on a domestic violence call. Where you may not even be the one being violent there goes your gun rights. When firearms were not even involved.

Where are most of the mass shootings? Where ccw or open carry are not allowed! Gun Free environments! You don’t see these guys trying to shoot up police stations. They would be blown to pieces in a matter of seconds.

Most people who are against guns are uneducated, and have not ever shot one. They only know what they hear on the evil news that makes money by blowing everything out of proportion and making the shooters feel famous by mentioning their name.

Okay here is what I think should happen to educate the masses.

First there should be a gun safety course taught to high school seniors. They can start with a classroom setting where they learn about firearm safety, and the laws. When they have successfully passed that then they can have the opportunity to go to a range and actually fire a real gun.

Upon completing the course the state will run a background check and give them there first ccw permit free. Maybe a gun company would step up and give them a coupon for a discounted pistol.

How will we pay for this you may ask. With over 40 million guns sold in 2020 and gun&ammo sales not slowing down Pittman-Robertson should have plenty of funding for this.

Ps. If I see a gun with a circle and slash by the front door I do my best not to give them business, and you should do the same. I feel that businesses should give a discount to ppl who carry for helping to protect their employees and customers.

enloopious, Gator 45/70 and arleigh like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Why wait that long? Start earlier, say like sophomore year OR the first year unrestricted hunting licenses can be issued. Get the class certified as meeting the hunting license requirements.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If your saying Gun Safety should be taught in HighSchool, your about 15 years. to late... Responsible Gun owning Parents should be teaching basic Gun handling, and shooting Safety, at maximum of age 8 years... This is old enough for children to know basic Right from Wrong, and they are big enough to handle small caliber youth rifles and pistols under direct supervision of Parents... I also advocate Hunter Safety Course completion at age 12, with Parents approval, AND participation... In my family, going back 4 or 5 generations, this has been the policy for Weapons Responsibility.. By High School, a young Adult, if interested in the Shooting Sports, should be well on their way to qualifying for any Competitive Shooting that interests them, or hunting what ever Game they desire.. All my children were raised this way, and they have taught All the Grandchildren by the same Rules and procedures.. My oldest Daughter will be picking up her 21st Birthday Present, tomorrow... All my children were given the small Caliber Rifle, that they chose from the catalog, on their 12th Birthday, and the Ammunition for it, when they passed the Hunter Safety Course... On their 21st Birthday they could chose the Handgun they desired, from the catalog, and that was their Right of Passage into Majority.. My oldest, left her Pistol, at our home when, she left for marriage, and now 25 years latter, she is picking it up... A S&W Model 29 8” Barrel... We call it the “Dirty Harry” Gun, and she was “Dead Bang” accurate with it out to 75 Yds, before... She passed her rifle, a Browning .22LR semi-auto to her younger sister, on her 12th Birthday, because the younger daughter loved to go chase PorkyPines, with it, around our home in Bush Alaska... Kept the Dog/Porky interactions to a minimum...

msscarlet, UncleMorgan, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

My daddy began teaching me at age six with a Ruger .22 single action revolver.
    Wasn't all that long ago - oh wait! It's been over 60 years

5. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I taught elementary school not too long ago. Kids are not what we used to be. My last 3rd grade I had maybe 3 kids that could've handled the responsibility of a firearm. I would dare say a lot of adults are no different. Twice now I've been told that people wouldn't have gotten in the truck with me if they'd known there were evil guns inside. Adults. Grown ups. Big people. And those were only the ones that found out.

The times they are a changin'.

6. Antero

Antero Monkey

I agree with you all! That is how I was raised, but there are so many non gun homes around these days who is going to teach kids that are interested? Many of these parents don’t know about guns or gun safety and never had an opportunity to learn themselves. You can't teach something you don't know.

I hunt a lot and meet so many adults that are interested in guns and hunting, but have no clue about either. They want to learn, but don’t know where to start.

All I am saying is that these teens should have the opportunity to think for themselves and if the opportunity was offered right there in school It would benefit the greater good of this country.

7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

The snarky in me wants to know why you don't teach them. The door is open.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Antero

Antero Monkey

Yea you could have hunter safety as a freshman and ccw as a senior?

Thanks for the snarky remarks but I would rather hear your solutions to the problem.

Well of course I teach any one who is willing to learn. I am taking a guy elk hunting this year that has never been hunting.
    The point being how many more are out there that need that opportunity.
    You all seam to be okay with just letting our gun rights go, and not letting the next generation have the memories of teaching their kids the same way we learned.

UncleMorgan, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Dannyboy53

Dannyboy53 Monkey

Whatever happen to teaching firearms safety & handling in High School. We had classes when I was in school in the l960s

UncleMorgan, Antero, Dont and 4 others like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I will gladly teach anyone, who asks, about the Basics of FireArms and Handling Safety, PERIOD... I have a Strict Rule, however, that I will NOT teach Family, advanced Marksmanship Skills, but leave that to the Professional Instructors in those areas... The reason is, I have found that it is counter-productive to do so, because of the Personal Baggage that goes along with those relationships, when trying to impart those specific Skillsets...

11. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I think you identified the problem as ignorance, probably due to lack of exposure. One solution, you identified it, is education. Your school board is the place to start for YOUR solution. More to the point of my remark was to round up the ignorant (as vs. untrainable) parents and adults, expose them to reality, that is in your purview if you want to take a lead. Your local gun club just might be interested in following YOUR lead. Mine does and so I have in the past. This differs little in substance from what you suggest. Other solutions? None exist until the ignorance is cured.

It's worth the observation that you've asked a question. Whether the answers you get carry water or leak a lot depends 100% on someone stepping up and taking the lead, and be ready to absorb the slings and arrows of outrage thrown by the objectors. If you don't have a cast iron hide, you may need a standard bearer to get out in front and draw fire, of which there will be plenty in some jurisdictions. I don't have that problem, we ignore the schools entirely and do classes at the range. Never a shortage of trainees of all ages, in fact our certified instructors have to take a break now and then for their families. (Or at least they did before this damn virus.)

Make no mistake, the solution is going to have to come from the bottom up. Letters to editors, elected representatives of whatever stripe, you can even find a soap box downtown and take the opportunity to address a crowd at (say) a July 4th celebration. make some signs and get your car in the holiday parades. The top down approach will be dominated by the prevailing liberal attitudes and scared sheep that are dragged around by emotions, not reason. But you KNOW that, I hope.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Antero, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The democrats and liberals won't allow it.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Lesser magistrates will.

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

My daddy started me at six. I had my own .22 and squirrel hunted by myself at eight. Between nine and ten I had my own .22 revolver to shoot on weekends after the work was done on the farm. I’m now seventy eight and to the best of my knowledge I have never shot no one nor robbed a bank. I was taught to obey the laws and that policemen were to be obeyed. So at the age of seventy eight I have never been arrested for anything. At eighteen my daddy had his buddy the parish sheriff put me in jail for a long weekend just to show me what breaking the law would feel like. I did not like it one bit
    [flag]

Dunerunner, Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Some schools here teach hunters safety courses, Niece took it when she was 12 Shooting a target with a 20 gauge on school grounds, She's 26 now and hates 20 gauges, lol

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Started when I was 8, got my first .22 once I proved I could be safe and knew the rules! Got my first "Real" rifle at the age of 12 when I was of age to actually hunt, and not just sit in camp with the non hunters doing dishes and other wimmins work! LOL
    Took my first dear with the first shot of my hunting rifle the first hunt I went on, and I was hooked, at the age of 14, I took my first Elk and never looked back! By 18, I had taken one of just about every game species in North America, including a very large and pissed off Grizzly at damn near bad breath distance, and boy did his breath stink! I bought my first pistol at the age of 16, there was no hard and fast rule in our family about the age one was ready to own a hand gun, and like the store owner that sold it to me, all figured if I was man enough to walk in there by my onesome, I was man enough to own one! Walked out with a brand new shiny blued Colt 1911 SXE with nice surplus leather holster and a couple boxes of ammo, there was no paperwork, just a sales receipt, a hand shake, and a warning not to hurt my self! Been carrying that Colt these last 36 years and never once have had it shoot someone! Been a "Super Collector" for quite a while now, and have no plans to ever stop, and certainly never turn any of them over while i'm still breathin and still spittin! My collection of antique Colt Rifles alone is now up to 11, and I still find more of them I want, and don't get me started in on the 1895 Winchesters, I keep runnin into more of them that end up following me home! I make my own Holy Black, I cast my own boolits, and knap my own flints, Hell, I have even built my own front stuffers from scratch using found materials. I have taught new shooters the last 36+ years, and have taught folks who have never even seen a real gun in their life, and all have become avid gun owners and shooters! I have also taught many young and not so young folks to hunt ( and Fish) and I got to be with my Grand Dad as he went on the last hunt he ever went on, and together, we took a monster Swamp Donkey and had it fully dressed and cooling by the time the rest of the group showed up to see who got what! I have hunted all over, including Alaska, and Africa, I have taken more game animals then I can count or ever even remember, and I have no intention of ever stopping!

17. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good man with a gun and the willingness to address.
    That, having been said, opens a whole box of worms. You can loose. You can win and be taken out by a well-intentioned SWAT team. You may George Floyd, doesn't matter if he was killing white folks, black lives matter. Violence can only be answered with extreme violence.

18. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

We learned to shoot in Los Angeles when I was 6. My grandfather made a point to take all of the grand kids out shooting.

I started teaching my daughter to shoot when she was 5.

I seem to remember reading an article recently saying that they are trying to eliminate the boyscouts.
    Bye-Bye Boy Scouts | The American Conservative

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2021
    UncleMorgan likes this.
  19. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Antero,, you have some good points, and so does everyone else. I started my gun obsession around the age of 7-8 ,, was taught by my Dad , grandparents and uncles. Used to see rifles in gun racks at school. Never heard of a car beak in either.
    As some stated ,, high school is a late time to start with weapons training and discipline. 3rd grade sounds about right ,, 3rd grade, you don't have to let them handle them,, just start teaching the safety, and dangers of mishandling.
    But I'm all for some training in schools ,, but taking into account,, the liberalism that's already infected our school system, from 1st grade thru college ,, and you already being around that crowd of liberal teachers , staff and the whole school system ,,, top to bottom,,, how easy do you think it would be to get some firearms training authorized and enacted into our schools curriculum ???

enloopious and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I'm in the gunshine state. And it would still be pretty much impossible for a school based program to get off the ground. They suspended one student who had a nerf gun behind him visible during a remote zoom lesson.

enloopious and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7