Help identify mystery cylinder?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by hot diggity, Sep 8, 2020.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

DC8D4F9D-10B9-472F-98F3-05CD5124EE2F (1).
    It isn't mine, and I can't get much additional information on it. It just makes me curious, and wondered if anybody recognized it.

2. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey+++

Just a WAG, looks like a civil war era artillery shell.
    This looks sort of like the picture below:
    [​IMG]

3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

the hole in the bottom looks like a rust hole - the top looks like there was a hook or eyelet of some kind at one time >>> I'm guessing it was a counterweight

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

1940s bug bomb? Spray the house and go away for a few hours. The spray nozzle is missing, obviously, but the hole in the bottom is where they were filled.

5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

How heavy is it or what is your guess as to the thickness of the metal?

From the left photo it looks like a hole rusted through, the radius of the bottom rim edge and the step size in the wide area in the middle makes this appear to be formed from two stamped sheet metal halves joined in the middle of the object. That about right or not at all?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Tully Mars likes this.
  6. hot diggity

That's about right. Sheet metal stamping.
    The markings would make it within the past 60 years or so, but that too is a guess.

I like the bug bomb theory. I was thinking tear gas canister, but I can find nothing like it. ICC? Interstate Commerce Commission?

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

do you think it was a counter weight for a truck scale? i use to see something like this on the old grain scale weigh houses.

8. hot diggity

I'm trying to squeeze more details out of the owner.

9. hot diggity

About the weight of a full paint can. Top was full of water, bottom shakes like it might be full of sand.

10. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

The hemispheric top and concave bottom makes it look a good bit like a low pressure (<250 psi) disposable compressed gas cylinder. Propane, oxygen, CO2, etc. I’m thinking like a CO2 cylinder for an inflatable life boat or something like that.

The ICC 40 might be a clue and looks like a certifier stamp to the right of it that looks like some of the cert stamps on my welding tanks and scuba tanks.

Have fun
    AT

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  11. hot diggity

ICC (International Chamber of Commerce) is linked to maritime issues. The 40 could be 40 PSI, but is more likely 40 Bar. (580 PSI)

Now I think this solution has potential.

Airtime likes this.
  12. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7