Hawaii Bans Adults 18-20 from Buying or Possessing Ammo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Jul 17, 2024.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Oral Arguments for En Banc Review of Young v. Hawaii on 24 September, 2020

The Hawaii legislature has passed a bill that forbids adults aged 18-20 from purchasing or possessing ammunition. It also forbids anyone from transferring ammunition to people under the age of 21. Violation of the Bill would be punishable as a misdemeanor.

On May 2, 2024, the Hawaii Legislature sent Bill SB2845 to Democratic Governor Josh Green for his signature. Governor Green (D). Governor Green has signed several state laws restricting firearms ownership and carry in Hawaii. Governor Green (D) is expected to sign SB2845 into law. Hawaii government is effectively defying the Supreme Court ruling in Bruen. From captol.hawaii.gov:

SECTION 2.

Chapter 134, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

§134 – Sale of ammunition to a person under the age of twenty-one; prohibition; penalty.

(a) No person shall intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly sell, offer to sell, distribute, or otherwise transfer ammunition for any firearm to any person who is under the age of twenty-one; provided that it shall not be a violation of this section to sell, offer to sell, distribute, or otherwise transfer ammunition to a person who:

(1) Meets the criteria to possess a firearm under section 134-5; and

(2) Is actively engaged in hunting or target shooting or going to or from the place of hunting or target shooting.

Bill SB2845 goes on to explain how people who sell or transfer ammunition will be required by law to check government-issued identification to ensure that the person receiving the ammunition is 21 years old or older.

As shown above, people who are under the age of 21 but who have a hunting license are allowed to have ammunition transferred to them while hunting or going to or from the actual place they will be hunting. Additionally, people under the age of 21 who are target shooting or going to or from target shooting are allowed to have ammunition transferred to them. In both cases, people under the age of 21 are required to be accompanied by an adult, as shown in §134-5. State officials and employees of the State or Federal governments are exempted if their duties require them to be armed.
    Persons under the age of 21 are forbidden from possessing or controlling any ammunition, with the above-mentioned exemptions.

This correspondent did not find any legal definition of “ammunition” in the Hawaii statutes.

People who have attained the age of eighteen are no longer “minors” under Hawaii law. Therefore, it appears anyone the age of 18 or greater satisfies the requirement that an “adult” be present while hunting or target shooting.

This poorly thought-out law is almost certain to be challenged in federal court. There are already challenges to the ban on the purchase of handguns by adults who are less than 21 years old. No historical laws forbid the purchase of firearms by persons who are 18 years old or older, while there have been historical federal laws requiring the ownership of firearms by persons 18 years or older.
    Bans on the purchase, control, or possession of ammunition or arms by persons under the age of 21 are almost certain to be struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional infringements on the rights protected by the Second Amendment

thought on this... have they finally succeeded in dumbing down our younger generations through the indoctrination and miseducation enough that they felt they needed this???

Has this already been struck down by the courts?

natshare, Hanzo and Alanaana like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I couldn't buy ammo when I was 15 so I loaded my own.

What they'll do is make one little change and say "this ammo and gun prohibition on 18 to 20 year olds is completely different from the semiauto gun buying prohibition on 18 to 20yr olds that was struck down by the supreme court, they're nothing alike".

Brokor, Hanzo, Bandit99 and 1 other person like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The CA 18-20 semi-auto ownership ban was just overruled by SCOTUS, so it won't be long before this is overruled as well. It's just like flies - no matter how many you swat they just keep making more.

I wonder how these politicians would deal with me reloading ammo at the ripe old age of 12. Oh, the horror...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When I was 16 I was able to obtain a colt python started loading ammo for that too.

Hanzo, Bandit99 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. whynot#2

whynot#2 Monkey+

Vote, get drafted, held responsible for your self.... sounds like being 18 makes you an adult. A poorly written civil rights violation in my humble opinion.

whynot

gii shi kan dug, Dunerunner and Hanzo like this.
  6. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I was drafted at 18 given a M-16 and plenty of ammo, never killed an American citizen

gii shi kan dug and Hanzo like this.
  7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

perhaps the problem is the miseducation that has entered or system since then??? they think younger folks are just too dumb???

Hanzo likes this.
  8. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Nah, they don’t think the you ger people are dumb, they think we are dumb. If we go along with this, next it would be age 25. Then 30.

Brokor and Hanzo like this.
  9. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Another reason to vote with one's feet. Make Hawaii a liberal paradise.

When it all collapses, land will be cheap and traffic not nearly so bad.

Hanzo and CraftyMofo like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Frankly, I think it is simply a whitewash. Do you really think that they didn't know that the California law which tried the same type of thing would be killed by SCOTUS. I think it is just some liberal politicians, making liberal noise, wasting taxpayer money.

The fact that 18-year can vote, join the military without parental consent and are considered adult leads me to think that this law will also end up in the trash bin...however, there are some states that still carry a 21-year drinking age, which I never could understand how this could pass a legal test, probably because it never was tested by anyone, so...maybe?

Anyway, I see this as nothing more than liberals doing liberal BS politics on the taxpayer dime, but it does force the conservatives to react to it and get it reversed. My greatest fear is taxation on ammo... A luxury tax on ammo like that of cigarettes and alcohol scares me because even the conservative politicians wouldn't be able to stop themselves from drinking from a new revenue source.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
    Brokor, Hanzo and CraftyMofo like this.
  11. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

armory soldier arrested for handing out ammo to 19 year old marine in Hawaii :)

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

25 to buy guns and ammo has already been proposed.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  13. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

IMHO this type of thing will never stop until all such politicians are voted OUT of office...

but then you have the J D Vance type females voting... so???

cats carry a parasite that can cause terrible mental issues and can result in suicide...

Toxoplasmosis in Cats

14. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

This state has some annoying practices. I've heard that if you don't register your firearms every year they will show up and take them from you. They also make it very challenging to apply and the wait time for the in person application process right now is around 2 months.
    They also have very frequent DUI roadblocks here. I've never lived in a state that does them so frequently.
    On another note, I've reached this point in my life without ever getting a single speeding ticket. I got a parking ticket once at my university campus because I forgot to display my parking permit.

Zimmy likes this.
  15. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Yep, all it's going to take is a challenge in federal court, and this foolishly written law is toast!

Alanaana likes this.
  16. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

The people are that dumb. They just are. There's no other way these politicians keep getting voted in.

Zimmy and OldDude49 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7