Got SISU?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, May 5, 2017.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

This article has a lot of lessons to be learned and digested. Many tactics and operational ideas can be gleaned from the Finn's defense/offense... which if you are taking notes, may assist you in your survival at some point.

Got Sisu? Essential Guerrilla Tactics from the Finnish Winter War | The Art of Manliness

What did you find to be the most interesting item, lesson learned or technique that they employed..... in context with your survival preparedness?

duane, arleigh, GOG and 6 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

There were many tactics that fit my plan... One was stealth and surprise. Concealing ones self in the terrain you know your way around in would be of great advantage. Another was marksmanship. These two combined would benefit me and mine in defense and food gathering. Add to that a smokeless stove and the package of survival is complete.

The tactic of dividing the enemy force, taking it in small bites, was also interesting.

Overall, a good read..

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Concealment is tough when you have to take IR into account. Excellent article!

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Of all the "winter training" I have had through out the years, some of the very best came from the Finns! Lessons I have taken to heart and used many times, some even in daily life! Great reading, and a great reminder of things I have forgotten some what!

5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Military history is fascinating stuff, full of lessons. Great article.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    SB21, sec_monkey, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Fantastic article and extremely well written! Unfortunately, this was what brought the Finns in on the side of the Nazis which has tainted them...for those that are ignorant of history.

EDIT: Just to be clear... I don't blame Finland for joining with Hitler's Germany. In fact, it was the lesser of two evils, a necessary evil but they had no choice. The point is they, unlike other countries, joined out of a valid grievance and not out of ideology. Too many people, west and east, fail to realize that WW2 in Europe was started by two antagonists on the same side, both being as evil as each other. The Soviet Union just happened to survive due to 'realpolitik'...even though it shouldn't have.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Yard Dart, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Had the Germans not murdered the jews, America would probably not have even gotten involved.

8. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

You have to remember history. When we declared war on Japan after Pearl Harbor, Germany declared war on US. So we would have been involved regardless of what was happening to the Jews.

Dunerunner likes this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Matei
  3. OldDude49
  4. Motomom34
  5. DKR
  6. Legion489
  7. survivalmonkey
  8. phorisc
  9. Motomom34
  10. Yard Dart
  11. melbo