Gold Is About To Take Center Stage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fl4848, May 8, 2022.

1. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

enloopious likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

IMO gold has been a total letdown.
    We have 19teens pandemic, 1920s social division, maybe a 1930s stockmarket crash, the larges military incursion since the 1940s, 1950s nuclear threat, 1960s social unrest, 1970s inflation, 1980s economy, possibly a 1990s housing bubble forming, possibly a 2000s tech implosion looming.
    And gold be like "cool story bro, needs more dragons and shit".
    Show you what I'm investing in.

Ura-Ki, Bandit99 and enloopious like this.
  3. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

To me gold is a long term investment to be kept in a safe. Maybe you don't see a return in your lifetime but it will go up. I wouldn't cash it out for anything especially right now. There are so many shenanigans going on that it has to end. Paper gold? Yeah you are never getting that money or gold. Have fun with your paper.

The Constitution says that gold and silver are the ONLY valid forms of money in America. And why not? That is what sovereigns use so it makes sense. Why are we not using it now? Technically it has been suspended until such a time as when we will bring it back. So you need to ask yourself, is it ever coming back as money?

Your answer is that some people use it now as money. Some very large countries are talking about backing their currency w gold. It will be back and probably soon but how do we know it wont happen all over again?

The working theory is that our governments will create central bank digital currencies and back those with gold in an attempt to get everyone out of Bitcoin and paper dollars. They have taken something like 119k bitcoins and are flooding the market with them to drive those prices down. Now savvy investors will realize this is a trick and buy up BTC at the reduced rates and profit in the near future. Fools will say BTC is going to crash into nothing. Turn off the light switch and its gone, or something equally as foolish. Do you seriously think that 2 countries would be using it for currency and 6 more considering it if you could just turn it off?

You can take your BTC anywhere in the world and keep it secure by memorizing your password. Try that with gold. I wouldn't feel safe having some gold or even fiat in my car when stopped by police. From what I hear cops are robbing people in certain areas and taking all their cash.

Feds Seize $3.6 Billion In Stolen Bitcoin, Arrest Couple Five Years After Massive Crypto Exchange Hack
    How Pa. state troopers seize big money from drivers, many of whom are never charged | Spotlight PA
    This African country just adopted bitcoin as an official currency

Here's what happened when El Salvador took a leadership role in BTC and central Africa followed:

Wildbilly and fl4848 like this.
  4. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Yes, gold isn't fool proof. I agree. One problem with gold is that the POWERS THAT BE don't like it. Why? Because it limits their ability to print money. That's why they took us off the gold standard in the first place. They wanted unlimited spending power, which they now have had for 40 years. They have no plans on going back to a gold standard. They want everyone on a digital, central-bank-owned BITCOIN type technology, so they can track everyone's spending, cut off spending if your social credit score gets too low, wipe out everyone's savings in one fell swoop and spy on every purchase that you make. This is what they're aiming for. Gold is just a bump in the road for them. An annoyance.

After they take advantage of their manufactured crisis, they will force the sheeple onto their gov't bitcoin system. You will have no choice. When everyone is comfortable on this new system, the demand for gold will probably plummet. They will say, "Isn't that cute. You have pretty yellow metal. Good luck with that. It would make a good paper weight."

That's one direction I see this thing heading. However, gold could also be used for blackmarket trading. In Communism, there is always a black market. People will buy toothbrushes and toilet paper with gov't BITCOIN. But will they buy drugs with gov't BITCOIN? Probably not. Will they buy sex slaves with gov't BITCOIN, probably not. The blackmarket will emerge quickly, and they'll need a form of "cash/dollars" to purchase illicit things. (Think anonymous transactions... That's what the dollar is used for currently.) Gold could fill this gap. Depending on how things go with privacy coins, like Monero, privacy coins could also fill this gap. It would depend how easy it is to convert Monero into gov't BITCOIN. They would no doubt put up obstacles to folks doing that.

My assessment is that gold is not PERFECT. But there are a lot of strong arguments to be made for it in the 21st Orwellian century. Folks who are not in the upper echelons of the elite do not know which way this thing is headed. We can only speculate. The CEO of your company probably knows exactly what's coming down the pike, but they're not going to associate with riff-raff like you. GE, Johnson&Johnson, Amazon <- these CEOs know what is coming. They have to, because most of their capital is in US dollars. They're not going to get caught with their pants down when the dollar goes to 0. They have a plan for transferring wealth. It's only middle class america who will be left in the dark, with 0 dollars in their bank accounts due to run-away inflation.

That's my take on it.

Gold, silver, land, water, food.... all good things to consider before the collapse.

enloopious, Dunerunner and HK_User like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Silver is easier to move and has other uses.

enloopious, Dunerunner and HK_User like this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup I know a couple of real gold nuts who thought they could retire back in the early 90s.
    Not bad to have but you better have a paid off place and all the other basics like good sleeping bags etc.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    enloopious, Dunerunner and CraftyMofo like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I can appreciate having gold for the time that the dollar falls, and not knowing the fallowing currency, life is so unstable even the fallowing currency may fall right away.
    Diamonds too may be of value but only those that can prove them, are they of any value.

Dunerunner likes this.
  8. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Also, copper, steel, brass, ect are valuable. If you can stockpile them somewhere, they will always have inherent value.

HK_User and Dunerunner like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The problem with gold "when the dollar fails" each ounce may be worth $10,000 or tens of thousands of dollars. How often you spend 10 large in one place at one time?
    Silver could be worth hundreds of dollars per ounce, so similar problem but much more manageable.

HK_User and Dunerunner like this.
  10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

If the dollar fails, we are in total economic collapse. At that point everyone with gold is going to want to sell but nobody will be buying. As has been said about precious metals before, they will reach a level of value based upon the value of the item being traded for (rate of exchange).

As an example, a $60,000 truck might go for 40 one ounce gold pieces. On the other hand a loaf of baked bread might go for one ounce of gold in another exchange. Value will be relative to the circumstances and established by the individual with the commodities, not the buyer.

3M-TA3, HK_User and CraftyMofo like this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Gold and silver are for uncertain times. Not SHTF, Armageddon nor end of the world.
    Gold and silver are just an insurance policy that could help you just before SHTF or after the dust settles and we try to rebuild our systems after a reset.
    During the reset, it will be wasted trying to barter with it. More than likely turn you into a target unless you are dealing with a few dimes worth of constitution silver.

There are times where you could turn a profit as an investment. But you'll probably be better off looking at it as insurance.

12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have been watching gold like a hawk for the last couple of years. Currently, it is going down from about $2000 and is at $1856 today. I watch it for two reasons. First, because I want to pick up some gold coins at a reasonable price, not as an investment, for insurance if it all goes sideways. Second, it is a barometer of the times. When the big players start buying heavy then one knows the game is up.

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I came to the conclusion that during SHTF I wouldn't accept gold since I would wonder if I was buying a mostly tungsten slug, so it doesn't make sense to have it for that purpose. I invested in copper, lead, and brass instead. Even pre SHTF it's more than tripled in value for what I paid and after SHTF will be worth even more.

Dunerunner and CraftyMofo like this.
  14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

There are those assets that you expect to make a profit/return on when you sell them, and those assets that are not for sale at any price...there are even those assets that may cost money to hold. Example: I purchased some 25-year food, and it was a terrible investment, especially if nothing happens in the next 20-25 years. If I need it, then it's a great investment! I wouldn't want to sell it, because I would have to buy more. This is true of my land, tractor and equipment, guns and ammo, water filters, generators, fuel, etc. , and my silver, too! These are investments in a future where things go badly, not for a future where things go well! There are other investments (stocks, bonds, etc.) for the good times.

15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Arguably for a crisis consumables and life necessities are probably more valuable than gold. In 2020 I could probably have gotten rich on toilet paper !!

Gold and other precious metals are a hedge at present or if you live somewhere where you may need to move your “cash value” with you if you are on the wrong side of a revolution. About 20yrs ago you could spot many here who had moved from Hong Kong and a few other Asian nations recently as they were still wearing a good portion of their wealth around their necks. They had still not become comfortable enough to liquidate it to a form they could use. I had an uncle who gave many good investment advice for free (over a great meal) but as he told them, they would not retire on gold.

Understanding it’s place is key. Come a SHTF world I would prefer rice and beans :). If I need to exfil to tropical island the gold is OK but you are still going to get it in the rear when you want to convert it to a spending form.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah problem is no one had tungsten back in the day.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Didn't realize that this particular madness existed beyond the US!I thought Aussies in general had more sense than your typical American.

Thin tungsten rod IMO is more valuable than gold during SHTF. It can be used to convert a standard bullet to armor piercing.

Gator 45/70 and Bandit99 like this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yes! Yes it can!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

But do you remember the gangster nickel? The 1883 "V" nickel didn't have any value printed on it and history tells a story of a low level gangster having hand reeded the edge and gold plating it. It then appeared to be a $5 gold piece.

Bogus silver coins are being traded on eBay and some are sold at coin shows (not by reputable dealers)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

People faking gold has been a problem for as long as gold has been used in commerce.
    Then once archimedes figured out density in relation to how pure gold is it got a lot harder to fake gold. For centuries there was only one thing any where close to the density of gold and that was gold.
    Now we have tungsten, osium, irridium, platinum that are all pretty close to gold.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7