Geomagnetic storms and the grid in North America

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Sep 29, 2019.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

Pretty decent video that looks at the grid, impacts from Geomagnetic storms and what steps and equipment operators have in place to protect the grid.

I think its worth a few minutes of your time to review.

Seepalaces, Zimmy and duane like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yep I put it on S0 today as soon as I realized at work I was having more motor and drive problems than usual and just as I expected, level 1 geomagnetic storm.

Seepalaces likes this.
  3. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Ercot has mandated a lot of transmission line grounding for CMEs.

I'll let someone smarter than me explain live line grounding and Vars and whatnot.

Seepalaces likes this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

In 1998/99 I was writing the technical and operations manual for the Alaska United system (Alaska United - Wikipedia)

Once we lit it up and started testing - we saw some pretty significant voltage swings on the DC supply cable. Kinda cool to see planetary processes in action - other than crappy propagation on 20M.

Senior management started freaking out - not techs or engineers, so understandable. The HAARP system was still active at the time and I was able to show the SM that a geomagnetic storm was in progress.

I was happy to have one so early - this allowed me to capture data points and rewrite the alarm setting table set.

Still working today....

Ganado, arleigh, Zimmy and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7