Gen Colin Powell dead at 84 - yes, COVID

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Oct 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

"Fully vaxxed"

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell died on Monday at the age of 84 due to complications from Covid. The family said the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff had been fully vaccinated and was receiving treatment at Walter Reed National Medical Center.

“General Colin L. Powell, former U.S. Secretary of State and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, passed away this morning due to complications from Covid 19. He was fully vaccinated. We want to thank the medical staff at Walter Reed National Medical Center for their caring treatment,” the Powell family said in a statement posted to Facebook.

well, Bye!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Can we elect a dead guy as President? His corpse would do a better job than that POS we got.

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The JAB really works! Hell he was 84,RIP Cap !

SB21 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

One of the last Great Generals of my Generation… A REAL Combat General with all the Ribbons to prove it… Not like the traitors who now occupy those Offices, now…. RIP Sir, and condolences to your family…

Brokor, Ganado, Cruisin Sloth and 4 others like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Love him or hate him, he was our nations top general at a time when such was needed, and if nothing else, he held Storming Norman in check, no telling what would have happened if anyone else had been in charge then! Where things went south was when the good general retired and entered politics, and lost all respect in doing so, becoming that which we all ( including the general himself ) hated! None the less, I fear he was one of the last American hero generals, a true leader at just the right time in history!

6. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Had respect for him was a General but lost all respect when he aligned himself with Odumbo. Just the same RIP

Idahoser, TnAndy, Yard Dart and 5 others like this.
  7. oldman1111

oldman1111 Monkey

Rest in peace,General
    [flag][flag][flag][flag][flag][flag]

Cruisin Sloth and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'm reading that the blood cancer he was fighting may have contributed somewhat to his demise. That said, R.I.P., Sir. I would have voted for you had you run for President against Clinton.

9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

With the exception of General George Washington, few military men make successful politicians. Alas General Colin Powell was like so many others in history...although he might have made a good/great Sec. of Defense. RIP!

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  10. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

Rest well Sir, Thank you for your service.

First he served our country for many years and has my respect for that. I work in a level one trauma Center. I work closely with nurses because even if the patient has covid I still have to go in and fix stuff he is the typical person lost to covid he was 84 and had other serious medical issues . About any upper respiratory issue would have put them over the edge

3cyl, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Yes, Colin Powell was "fully vaxxed", but it must be understood that just as folk who have had Covid19 as a result of natural exposure, may at a later time become re-infected, occasionally, folk who have been 'fully vaxxed' will experience a breakthrough infection. Priming the immune system, either by natural infection, or by vaccination, provides immune response efficacy which does diminish over time to a greater or a lesser extent depending on a range of variables. The survivability of folk with Covid19,becomes more fraught when there are a comorbidity, or a combination of a number of comorbidities.

Although vaccination is an important component against the impact of Covid19, it ought not be considered a stand alone method of mitigation, but complementary to other means of mitigation such as social distancing, testing, self isolation, quarantine, personal hygiene(aka hand washing etc), sanatising frequently touched surfaces, and wearing PPE as appropriate to the risk of exposure.

As to the man, and the arc of his career as a military leader, and as a very senior US Whitehouse administration official, he could have been used as inspiration for a Shakespearian character, created by Bill the Bard for one of his 'historical' plays.. I think that Powell was a supremely competent person, whose integrity and reputation suffered some damage when he advocated, against his best gut inclinations, in favour of his Commander in Chief's desire to invade Iraq, and Afghanistan under the rubric of the 'War Against Terror'. I also believe that Powell, as a GOP centrist, redeemed himself somewhat by choosing not to march lockstep with the GOP's conga-line dance towards the partisan tribal far right and TRump.

Colin Powell was a soaring star until he got trapped

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    stg58 likes this.
  12. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

He was 84 with a host of other serious conditions. It could have easily been the flu or some other minor thing that pushed him over the edge.

13. chelloveck

I guess at that age, and with those comorbidities, dyspepsia could have pushed him over the edge, but I'd have to provide convincing evidence that it actually was the case that dyspepsia did him in. I understand the skepticism of some about 'official' reports for the stated cause of death, as far as attributions of Covid19 is concerned...and in the final analysis, it matters little what evidence is provided to validate such reports, there will be those who will be unconvinced and will simply hold with their speculative notions, regardless of the quality and quantity of the evidence provided.

stg58 likes this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I did not get my combat jump star because of Powell.
    He went to the dictator in Haiti and said we were coming for his ass..... Cuba confirmed we had planes back to N.C. inbound... dang dictator rolled over and quite. We air landed a couple of days later and took over peacefully.
    R.I.P.

chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Personally knowing people who had covid marked on their death certificate as the cause even thought they died WITH covid and not OF covid, I must admit I am a bit skeptical.

3cyl, Idahoser, TnAndy and 3 others like this.
  16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We are all going to die of Covid. That way the hopitals, insurance companies get paid extra for their services due to the extra special circumstances from the government (tax payer mandatory contributions)

Yep, get in a car crash, it was the covid.
    fall off a ladder putting up the xmas lights ... it was covid.
    Having a shoot out with the vax ninjas .. it was covid.
    malnourishment due to not being allowed to shop at your local grocery store because you were unjabbed .. it was covid.

Brokor, 3cyl, Idahoser and 4 others like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Bottom line:
    The vaccine is shit.

crowdaddy likes this.
  18. chelloveck

I have no reason to doubt that what you say is true of the instances of death attribution in your personal experience; I don't think that you are acting in bad faith in making that observation, however, in hypothesis testing, there is a good reason why researchers tend to rely on population studies with sample sizes sufficient to draw statistically significant conclusions, rather than relying on anecdotal evidence of samples which may be biased.

stg58 likes this.
  19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Our internet troll..."sleuth" has spoken..it must be so.....

20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7