gear sleeping bags

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Tango3, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I wouldn' want to grab my pack and head for the hills without a decent synthetic sleeping bag(I sleep cold);Problem:my4lb fill"cold weatherbag" fills the my swiss army field pack stuff bagged or unstuffed( it'sa pretty cheap bag).Do you carry a sleeping bag in your bob outfit?Do you do without and eat alot and add lots of clothes/fire; What do use? beginning to think I don't eat enough fats before evening ... maybe a menu change to stoke the internal fires.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I have several weights of bags down to -50 degs for all kinds of stays.

3. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Have the old military ecw down bag and the new modular sleep system.

When I mobilize two years ago, my platoon had a inproptu contest to see how small we could compress the new mss bags. the winer actualy had his compressed to the size of a basketball. I can compress the down bag pretty good, but comes out real lumpy.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Guess I'm gonna look into a wiggys! its time to reorient the bobgear, had our first wet,overcast 50 degree day.Cold and damp sux...

5. troubleticket

troubleticket Monkey+++

Wigg's gear is AAA+
    Try the leggings, mucluks and the insulated face mask.
    If the Lord holds the storm back for a little while, I am going
    to get a set of the Bibs and Jacket they wear up on the north slope.
    All Wigg's gear is great, some of the gloves are not made in house, watch out for the sizing.

6. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Do you guys have a link? I'd like to take a look-see...

7. andy

andy Monkey+++

as would i

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have a Down bag by Western Mountaineering that has lasted me over 15 years. 20 degree bag weighs about 1.5 pounds. I bought another WM bag last year for summer and I think it's rated for 30 and weighs about a pound and both stuff down (with a compression stuff sack) to around the size of a grapefruit.

Some out there talk of the horror stories of Down and it getting wet but I've backpacked with this thing for 15 years and have been in some rainforest conditions and never had a problem. You just have to think about dryness priority.

I'll never go back to synthetic. Phishi has some tales about wiggys ... I love Western Mountaineering bags. They cost about $400 to $450 and the first one I bought all those years ago cost about $375

I was once interested in Wiggys but I also used to hang out at the Kifaru forums...

9. Sgt.Barnes

Sgt.Barnes Monkey++

Must of my stuff is by slumberjack and the newer issue mss deal.
    I was never impressed by the wiggies bags,heavy,pricey, owner is weird lol.
    Slumberjack seems to be holding up well after many backpacking trips, but i need to replace it soon with a lighter bag with a higher temp rating.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I'm in the market for a good bag - finding one to fit is the problem - I'm a Great Ape. 6'4" and 350 pounds - big Silverback..... [ROFL]

Probably go for a Big Agnes - they get good reviews. Like to have something that doesn't look like I'm carrying a nylon-wrapped water-cooler jug.
    In moderate weather, I just generally use a twin-size blanket.

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

wow... :)
    Big agnes?
    She an old bag?
    Warm in thewinter/shade in the summertime?
    big girls girls need lovin too!

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7