From Free-Republic

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Seacowboys, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

This came off a Catholic site:
    The 72-hour Kit: Gotta Rosary for the run?

By Ben Fisher - Jesus Be With Us
    Published February 13th, 2009
    In the event of an emergency, do you have a 72-hour or Bug-out Kit? Gotta Rosary for the run?
    [​IMG]
    A 72-hour kit is a bag, bucket, or box of everything you will need (food, water, medicine, …) to survive 72-hours as you flee a natural disaster, terrorist event, or civil unrest.
    The idea is that you should be able to get where you’re evacuating to within three-days, or that civil authorities (police, national guard, etc.) will have brought the unrest under control.
    There are as many variations on the 72-hour or bug-out kit as there are websites dedicated to readiness. [​IMG] The key for you is to adapt YOUR kit to your needs, budget, and the time you can spend putting it together.
    Big Budget - Little Time to Shop and Assemble

If you’ve got the money and not enough time to shop for a list of things to buy, there are plenty of companies who can supply you ready-made kits. You should add local maps for your area, prescription medications you need, infant formula, pet food (if you’re scatting with your cat or dog), to the ready-made kit. They don’t supply everything and you can’t assume any given company is going to know specifically what you need.
    [​IMG]
    With that in mind, below are several ready-made kits and sites to shop from:

Little Budget - Lots of Time

If you’re on a budget, you may want to assemble your own kit. Wikipedia has a fairly decent emergency kit list which you can buy piece by piece during normal shopping trips to the supermarket, sporting or hardware store:

• Enough food and water to last for seventy two hours. This includes:
      • 4 litres (1 gallon) of water per person per day, for washing, drinking and cooking.
      • Non-perishable food
      • Water purification supplies.
      • Cooking supplies
      • Cutlery and cups/dishes.
      • A first aid kit.
      • A disaster plan including location of emergency centers, rallying points, possible evacuation routes etc.
      • Professional emergency literature explaining what to do in various types of disaster, studied and understood before the actual disaster but kept for reference.
      • Maps and travel information.
      • Standard camping equipment, including sanitation supplies.
      • Clothes and bedding.
      • Enough medicine to last an extended evacuation period if, for example, one’s home were destroyed.
      • Pet, child and elderly care needs.
      • Radio.
      • Lighting (battery or crank operated flashlight, glow sticks).
      • Firearm(s) and appropriate ammunition.
      • Crowbar (offensive weapon, building and vehicle entry, etc.)
      • Cash and change, as electronic banking transactions may not be available during the initial period following an emergency or evacuation.

And finally the Catholic touch!
      • Small travel bible (and reading glasses if you need them). The Word of God can sustain you during a crisis!
      • Small bottle of holy water. Bless your family throughout the evacuation! Small signs of faith are powerful prayers for intercession!
      • Blessed candles if you have them. Again, using a sacramental is a sign of faith in Christ, faith which will hold you up during an emergency. And in this case, light up your world!
      • A Rosary. If you’re stuck in traffic on an evacuation route or find yourself in an unknown place, the power of the Rosary calls loudly to the Blessed Mother and will settle your heart and help give you peace. She will also be watching over you!

You can also explore links to other innovative do-it-yourself 72-hour kits I found on the net:

[​IMG]
      So, what’s the plan?

As important as the kit is that everyone in the family knows where the kit(s) is(are) AND what to do if the family is separated.
      • Where is your rallying point? IE, where are you going to try to regroup at? A friend’s house? A hotel? (Call as you leave because these book quickly!)
      • What is the travel plan to get there? Remember, most primary and secondary highways are likely to be full. Which one will you try first and what’s your alternate? If you live near an airport, are you going to try to get the first flight out to anywhere?
      • Cell phones are likely to be jammed, so your plan should be to try TEXTING one another. Text messages typically go through much faster!
      • Who’s your triangulation point, i.e., who is the friend or neighbor who you all are going to call to let know what your status is. Imagine you can’t get a messages between family member’s cell phones. Plan to try calling a third-party everyone knows about. That person may be able to help coordinate logistics for you.

Practice the plan

You and the family (or yourself and friends) should practice the plan at least ONCE! Taking a weekend to go through the plan and traveling to your rallying point will make everyone familiar with what to do/where to go. THIS IS IMPORTANT as during a real emergency, you may be worried/distracted/upset. Being familiar with your plan will make the entire evacuation go much easier.
      Involve friends and neighbors

[​IMG]
      This is a hard one. I’ve read on many survival sites that it’s often hard to find people who want to be as prepared as you! Yes, many will agree with you, but few will actually join you in preparations.
      But you must try! There is strength in numbers and you never know how each family will be able to help the other!
      Creating a user group on Yahoo Groups may also be one way to keep a group together and on message during preparations.
      Arm yourself

[​IMG]
      This is a topic that is going to trouble some readers, especially on a religious site.
      But the reality of the world is that during an evacuation or emergency, evil people may attempt to harm you or your family, or take your emergency kits, your car or truck, etc.
      As a Catholic, you DO NOT have to give in to this. And as an American Catholic, you HAVE THE RIGHT (and responsibility I believe), to arm yourself.
      You also have a responsibility to:
      • train yourself and/or your family on how to use firearms (take a course),
      • practice, practice, practice!
      • know how to handle and store firearms safely,
      • know the laws of your state or city concerning firearms,
      • know the Church and Biblical contexts that assures you that you can defend yourself.

If you believe Catholicism (or Christianity for that matter) are incompatible with gun ownership and self defense, please read some of the following resources. This should calm your fears:

[​IMG]
      And as one site mentions:
      There are saints for ammunition magazines (Barbara), ammunition workers (Elmo), anti-Communism (Joseph), archers (Sebastian), armies (Maurice), armories (Lawrence), armorers (Barbara, Dunstan, George, Lawrence, and Sebastian), arms dealers (Adrian of Nicomedia), arrowsmiths (Sebastian), artillery gunners (Barbara), battle (Michael the archangel), against battle (Florian), against burglaries (Leonard of Noblac), cavalry (Martin of Tours), Crusaders (Charles the Good, King Louis IX of France), fortifications (Barbara), freedom (Holy Infant Jesus of Prague), hunters (Hubert), hunting (Eustachius, Hubert of Liege), infantry (Martin of Tours), knights (Gengulphus, George, James the Greater, Julian the Hospitaller, Michael the Archangel), military chaplains (John of Capistrano), paratroopers (Michael the Archangel), quartermasters (Martin of Tours), security forces (Michael the Archangel), swordsmiths (Maurice), United States Army Special Forces (Philip Neri), and the Women’s Army Corps a/k/a WACs (Genevieve, Joan of Arc). There are also a large number of saints for the armies or navies of particular nations.
      You can verify these saints here.
      <script type="text/javascript">SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "The 72-hour Kit: Gotta Rosary for the run?", url: "http://www.jesusbewith.us/?p=1731" });</script>ShareThis <hr> <!-- You can start editing here. --> 10 Responses to “The 72-hour Kit: Gotta Rosary for the run?”

1. <cite>Tony R</cite> says:
        1<small class="commentmetadata">February 14th, 2009 at 1:14 pm </small> We have done this already. I have been planning for @ 10 yrs. and the last things have been enough food for others.
        our supplies: crank radio, NOAAH radio, Tyelnol for high temp and Benydril for alergic reactions, nuts and granola bars because of the energy and they are small to carry (the south pole explorers use nuts for this reason), water purification filter, knives and hatchet, 4 season tent found on overstock.com, family dollar asprin, hydrogen peroxide, bandages, antibiotic ointment, soap, cotton balls, magnifying glass, water proof matches, safety blanket ($1 at Gander mt), duct tape, candy and toys for little ones, prepare as if winter will be the time because its easier to adapt if its summer, wood for our fireplace, Consecrate the home to the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Rosaries and lots of 3rd class relics, Blessed Salt and Holy water, US Army Survival manual I found for a couple of bucks at Barns and Nobel discount table.
        Dont depend on technology to work. Have a place to meet if we are seperated and go from there. Also a set date to act if we are seperated to meet in second place if necessary. example, after 7 days if I’m not at the first place meet at the second if necessary.
        Pratice as well.
        Overreact? possibly but I can take the criticism if I have, I won’t be able to forgive myself if I underestimate.
        P.S. the army manual can be found online….. Lots of batteries and crank emergency light with a solar power attachment with a cell phone charger (remember that the cell phone call can be traced to location)
        God Bless!!!!
        Tony
      2. <cite>Tony R</cite> says:
        2<small class="commentmetadata">February 14th, 2009 at 1:20 pm </small> oops, firearms as well as blankets, alternate routes for meeting points, fix a flat tire repair kit and radiator repair.
        any one else in Michigan preparing?
        God Bless!!!
        Tony
        P.S. we are planning to step out of the way when panic hits. I believe that things will happen quickly. Similar to a fire happening in a theater. Get out when you smell smoke because after someone yells fire, panic will start and people will run over you to save themselves. You don’t want to get caught in the middle of the mess that is in our near future.
      3. <cite>Carey M.</cite> says:
        3<small class="commentmetadata">February 14th, 2009 at 3:09 pm </small> I am glad that others are preparing. Unlike the Depression era, today’s population do not have a moral compass to keep them from taking what they want. Pray that Jesus will help you to see things coming ahead of time. Organize a group of like minded friends to gather with. Safety in numbers. Don’t try to do it on your own.
      4. <cite>mpav</cite> says:
        4<small class="commentmetadata">February 14th, 2009 at 7:27 pm </small> I have the disaster kits since 9/11. Holy candles and water, natch.The guns are a problem, as NY laws make it expensive and difficult to have hand guns. I suppose I should at least get a rifle.
      5. <cite>arlene boden</cite> says:
        5<small class="commentmetadata">February 14th, 2009 at 7:48 pm </small> you mention having a designated place to meet and possibly stay. my question is.. how do we know where to find a designated place? how do we know ahead of time what areas will be safe and which ones we should stay away from? why do we have to leave our homes if we don’t know where the danger will be? i will have a disaster kit ready, just in case. i do believe that the lord God will take care of those who love and trust in him.
      6. <cite>Tony R</cite> says:
        6<small class="commentmetadata">February 14th, 2009 at 11:47 pm </small> http://www.rk19-bielefeld-mitte.de/survival/FM/inhalt.htm
        US army field manual.
        Other things, CDC says that one thing that kills many in 3rd world countries (which is what we will be when the technology fails) is diarrhea. have anti-diarrheal medication along with electrolite replacement if you have little ones.
        We have several travel bags set up if we have to leave. If we can stay at home we should be good for a while.
        Hold the faith. When all is said and done, there will be work to do to help others who are going to be hungry for the Truth in Jesus. Also, they will want to know about Mary and the Catholic Church.
        God Bless!!!
        Tony
      7. <cite>Jayne Susan</cite> says:
        7<small class="commentmetadata">February 14th, 2009 at 11:57 pm </small> I don’t know folks..I went through this with Y2K and I spent way too much!! I’m just gonna pray, hope and try not to worry…there is so much in the Bible about this sort of thing…I think I’m just gonna trust in God…I have ’stuff’ in the basement left over from Y2K so I think we will fare OK….My love and prayers go with us all as the future unfolds for all of us…Blessed Be God Forever!! In His Angels and In His Saints!!!!
      8. <cite>Jehu</cite> says:
        8<small class="commentmetadata">February 15th, 2009 at 8:57 am </small> Any suggestions as to the type of firearms to purchase?
        I think I can get hold of a .22 revolver and my mom has a .25 semi-auto pistol, though, luckily, she lives in a far more outlying area. But both of these seem like they’d require frequent re-loading (and are very small caliber with not a lot of stopping power).
        Any suggestions as to inexpensive additions?
        Also, my wife and I live in the heart of a city in an apartment (we still can’t afford a house). How do we know whether to stay put or head for the hills when the time comes?
        May the Sword of St. Michael hover over us all.
      9. <cite>Freeedom</cite> says:
        9<small class="commentmetadata">February 15th, 2009 at 10:57 am </small> I would also suggest a ham radio. If others of your friends also have such, you can communicate with them even if landlines, cell phones, and the internet (Skype) is down. Landlines and cell phones often go out in times of emergency. Even if your friends don’t have them, you can communicate with others who can provide help such as passing messages outside of the disaster area. The test isn’t too hard, doesn’t require morse code ability, and costs less than $10 and is good for 10 years. But, thanks to McCain, you do have to give your SSN. A capable but modest station can be assembled for about the price of a good handgun, several hundred bucks.
      10. <cite>Kent L.</cite> says:
        10<small class="commentmetadata">February 15th, 2009 at 11:16 am </small> Without a will to live and a place to go, one would be better off to “BUG IN”.
        At least your house would keep you dry and relatively warm. Hopefully you would have auxillary heating and cooking methods as well as plenty of extra WATER. Google “100 items to disappear first in a disaster”.
        Check out “Survival Blog.com”, “Warrifles.com”, EmergencyEssentials.com and the book “When All Hell Breaks Loose” by Cody Lundin.
        All have very good extensive information on preparedness.
        You can take preparedness as little or as far as you want or can afford.
        The time is late with all the potential enemies and scenarios (from without and within) arrayed against you.
        The best thing that YOU can do is to prepare YOUR family for the worst.
        If everyone did that, we would all be in far better shape.
        I for one, refuse to bet the lives of my family that everything is going to be just fine.
        “Don’t be scared, be prepared.” Wish you the best. God help us all.
      Leave a Reply

<form action="http://www.jesusbewith.us/wp-comments-post.php" method="post" id="commentform"> <input name="author" id="author" value="" size="22" tabindex="1" type="text"> <label for="author"><small>Name </small></label>
      <input name="email" id="email" value="" size="22" tabindex="2" type="text"> <label for="email"><small>Mail (will not be published) </small></label>
      <input name="url" id="url" value="" size="22" tabindex="3" type="text"> <label for="url"><small>Website</small></label>
      <!--<small>XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href=&quot;&quot; title=&quot;&quot;> <abbr title=&quot;&quot;> <acronym title=&quot;&quot;> <b> <blockquote cite=&quot;&quot;> <cite> <code> <del datetime=&quot;&quot;> <em> <i> <q cite=&quot;&quot;> <strike> <strong> </small>
      --> <textarea name="comment" id="comment" cols="80" rows="10" tabindex="4"></textarea>
      <input name="submit" id="submit" tabindex="5" value="Submit Comment" type="submit"> <input name="comment_post_ID" value="1731" type="hidden">
      </form> <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I attended parochial schools from K-8th, and a small private school after that....

We lived in Satellite Beach,FL, nd my dad worked at the Cape....and yes, we were there during the Cuban Missile Crisis....

I remember going to the convent with my dad, and him cleaning guns for the Nuns....and how they made us get under our desks, on our knees so we were praying when the Godless Communists came in our classrooms to shoot us...

Fear tactics kept a lot of us in line for a good long time....

We lived in our hallway for a few days, and did not leave to go to any other part of the house, in preparation should anything happen during the "crisis"...A lot of the families were sending their wives and children to their parents homes, out of state...But since Mom was from Charleston, SC, and one of the largest bases on the East Coast, they figured we were just as safe in FL as we would be in Charleston.....

Lived thru some interesting times, and they're not over yet...

Reminds me of a verse from a Buffett song..."Party at the End of the World"

"Now in case you hadn't heard
    Things are getting quite absurd...
    No one really shocks us that's for sure.
    Roadside bombers and tsunamis,
    Oh god How I miss those Commies
    No one really plays fair anymore..."

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7