Freedom or Liberty

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by RightHand, Sep 8, 2014.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If I am truly free than there is no one with the power or authority to offer me liberty

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not privileges versus rights, Freedom versus Liberty - a horse of a different color

Sapper John and Seacowboys like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Read what was quoted in depth. It IS Rights vs. Liberty.
    Hobbes argues that to form any kind of basic society, man must give up most of his natural rights (his liberty) to that end. All else would end in chaos.

tulianr likes this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The limitations often found in defining freedom cannot be applied to liberty, for it is incorruptible; either you have liberty or you have tyranny.

“Liberty is always freedom from the government.” — Ludwig von Mises in Liberty and Property (1954)
    “Freedom is indivisible. As soon as one starts to restrict it, one enters upon a decline on which it is difficult to stop.” — Ludwig von Mises in Human Action (1949)

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

7. RightHand

We are, by nature, meant to live in freedom and it is the job of our government to protect my right to liberty

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

Sapper John, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I love these brainy quotes:

How true this is.....

I think that is what we are living in now. I do not think that most people even think of liberty other then it is a word that we speak when reciting the pledge. As time has moved along in our young country we see that liberty, true liberty is not so anymore. I believe the quote above because I do not think we will ever truly get our liberty back.

RightHand, Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7