Florida, Okeechobee Police Chief suspends 2nd rights!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ura-Ki, Sep 30, 2024.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Need to bring this to your attention, especially with such a highly contentious elections in the near future! This has happened in the past, most notably after Katrina, and it has continued to happen in other states since then! KNOW your rights, and be prepared, Knowledge is power!

This was passed into law, signed by then POTUS George Bush Jr!
    Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242
    Subsection below.
    Senate Amendment 4615 (the Vitter Amendment) to Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2007 (H.R. 5441), to prohibit the confiscation of a firearm during an emergency or major disaster if the possession of such firearm is not prohibited under Federal or State law.

3M-TA3 and Zimmy like this.
  2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Wow

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

So, a little more info has come to ligThis seems more like a State of Florida problem then a City of Okeechobee Police Chief problem. It appears the city proclamation was just a cut & paste of the Florida Statute 870.044.. which reads.

Florida Statutes Title XLVI. Crimes § 870.044. Automatic emergency measures
    Current as of January 01, 2023 | Updated by FindLaw Staff
    Whenever the public official declares that a state of emergency exists, pursuant to s. 870.043, the following acts shall be prohibited during the period of said emergency throughout the jurisdiction:
    (1) The sale of, or offer to sell, with or without consideration, any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.
    (2) The intentional display, after the emergency is declared, by or in any store or shop of any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.
    (3) The intentional possession in a public place of a firearm by any person, except a duly authorized law enforcement official or person in military service acting in the official performance of her or his duty.
    Nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed to authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of firearms that are lawfully possessed, unless a person is engaged in a criminal act.

Interestingly, the last sentence was removed from the public notice image posted above. I'd be looking for the individual who removed that portion. Would have prevented a lot of outrage.ht, not that it helps any, BUT, it does explain how the city and police chief did what they did!

SO, some schmuck decided to remove a part of State Statute for reasons unknown, which created a YUGE dustup and ended up getting canceled as soon as ether the Chief or someone else in power discovered or was informed by someone in power that said emergency declaration was in fact,..........ILLEGAL!

Some jackwad needs to loose their job over this, and the state needs to look a lot more closely at how it handles Emergency actions!

Brokor and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. Steverino

Steverino #LEAVETHEGOP

Career over....

Zimmy and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Zimmy

Sounds like an asshole police chief found an underling scapegoat to me.

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Eff'em! What defect do they have that they make it a point to disarm law abiding citizens every time they need their arms for the defense of themselves and their loved ones. Eff'em again if they think they can keep me from arming family and even neighbors if needed.

Does your state prohibit the jack boots from confiscating your guns when they should be providing assistance and protection from unlawful activity?
    40 States and the Federal Government prohibit the Seizure of Guns During Emergencies
    [​IMG]

Know the law where you live to be certain - useful search string "can [yourstate] confiscate your guns during an emergency":
    ORS 401.198
    Seizure of firearms during emergency

(1)
    As used in this section, “unit of government” means any department or agency of the federal government and any public body as defined by ORS 174.109 (“Public body” defined).
    (2)
    Notwithstanding ORS 401.165 (Declaration of state of emergency) to 401.236 (Rules), a unit of government may not seize a firearm from an individual who lawfully possesses the firearm during a state of emergency declared under ORS 401.165 (Declaration of state of emergency).
    (3)
    If a unit of government seizes a firearm from an individual during a state of emergency in violation of this section, the individual may recover from the unit of government that seized the firearm all costs incurred in the recovery of the firearm, including attorney fees, court costs and any other costs incurred in the recovery of the firearm. [Formerly 401.039]

Brokor and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

BTW DeSantis and co have already spanked the Police Chief and straightened him the eff out:

x.com

Zimmy, Brokor and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

what should be of MAJOR concern for those local residents - including the town officials - is this PD chief's mindset >>>

first chance he gets he goes all Hitler & Stalin - HE declares an emergency - HE does it obviously for the one & only intent to bash on the 2A Rights - should be concern what he and his buddy posse members would do next if the "emergency" intensifies in his mind .....

anybody know whether he actually deputized a bunch of his buddies? - authorized them to be the only gun carriers? >>> that's a cherry on top

Zimmy, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Everything .Gov loves emergency powers. Thankfully, we have enough good people standing in the way.

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

In my mind, it is not enough. I mean, "(3) The intentional possession in a public place of a firearm by any person, except a duly authorized law enforcement official or person in military service acting in the official performance of her or his duty." basically states that you cannot have a firearm outside of your home which I see as a direct violation of the 2nd Amendment and my God given rights to self-defense. So, what happens if I go check on a neighbor or go to the store to see if they have any bottled water left? Their law needs to be changed.

I'll be looking up my own state's law (Idaho) and writing my own representative to amend it if necessary.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and Brokor like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They ain't taking shit.
    How many bodies they willing to throw at this non-existent problem?

Zimmy, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Zimmy

This.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  1. duane
  2. Bandit99
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. hitchcock4
  5. BTPost
  6. Brokor
    Uploaded by: Brokor, Dec 26, 2017, 0 comments, in album: Law