Finding Some Purpose to Live and Die For

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by chelloveck, Jul 23, 2021.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Finding a purpose to live for when encountering a survival situation, is a powerful multiplier in the quest for personal and group survival...it is no less powerful when encountering general life situations that are challenging to one's sense of security and peace of mind...

Viktor Frankl's book "Man's Search for Meaning" is available for downloading as an e-book from the resources section of Survival Monkey, I highly recommend it.

Book Man's Search For Meaning - Viktor Frankl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and stg58 like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

We can argue on the reasons for life, how we handle it, why it goes on, but in the end it all depends on a few things. While I agree with the poster, it also takes a farmer to use those resources to grow enough food to have enough extra that we have the means to create the modern world.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/50/6a/a3506a3a6315beaba1311e382379248f.jpg

And the fact that someone or something created this great world we live in. 50 or so years ago I knew a Mennonite missionary who was working on farming in Africa. I asked him why as a missionary he was in agricultural development, he said he did so because he was a missionary. He had a 2,000 calorie a day view of the world, if a man doesn't have enough to eat, he will say what ever he has to and do what he has to do to eat and feed his family. If he has a full stomach, confidence that he will continue to have one, that his children will do better in life than he has, then he will think about abstract concepts like religion, the reason he exists, and the way he is governed.

While Chell and I may have a differing views on who or what created this whole world we live on, someone or something has given us all the blessing of having the time and resources to enjoy life and to communicate and talk about our views of life. Beats sitting in the dark up in a tree wondering if you will live thru the night, find enough food to live tomorrow and not be eaten by a bigger predator, and that you can find another tree tomorrow night.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Bandit99, SB21 and CraftyMofo like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I derive meaning from my relationship with God.
    By Him, I am given direction I would not have otherwise to make a difference in the lives of others working from His perspective, not mine.
    I see this life as a training ground for something eternal, so live or die I win either way. It is kind of like the movie Die Hard
    or Lethal Weapon, you can not intimidate someone with nothing to lose. It is easy to say if you have nothing but having quite a bit makes the desire to leave it difficult, to say the least. Never the less, returning home I almost expect it to all be vanished and I have nothing. I have had events where coming home saw my place vandalized, so it is not without experience I see this realm of reality.
    I have tons of stuff now days but I am not attached to it. These things are mere tools for this life.
    For now my pleasure is being a friend to others and doing what I can to make life better for them. If it comes down to it even my preps may be shared with others as well, as God leads.

duane and mysterymet like this.
  4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Projects are the reason for living.

No project, you're just in neutral...... :D

Yard Dart, duane, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

This topic is too deep for me today...I'll pass but I will say I think 'Frankl' is talking a load of tripe...enough said.

duane likes this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Viktor was a master of doublespeak, of answering questions with questions, purporting to contain answers to the original question. Logotherapy has become, in my mind, a fad. YMMV, as always.

BTPost likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7