Fermenting Sauerkraut For Health and Preservation

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by 3M-TA3, Jan 10, 2023.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Fermented kraut as opposed to pickled is chock full of healthy probiotics and an excellent way to preserve without refrigeration. Cabbage itself is an outstanding vegetable full of protein and fiber and belongs in every prepper's garden.

Alanaana, duane, Kamp Krap and 2 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I tried this once and added too much salt to the brine. I bought a one gallon fermenting jar and need to do it right this time!

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

I like fermented better because it stinks better and makes more potent gas emissions :)

3M-TA3, duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

My 90 year old uncle has made Kraut for more years than I can count, I'm not a big eater of it but the wife loves it.

Kamp Krap, duane and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thank you for sharing! I was just looking for a good sauerkraut recipe.

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Another take, similar yet different. The kraut in the first post was by someone who was rediscovering home made fermented kraut. In this one the host is making kraut the way her family has for generations.

The first time I was exposed to fermented kraut was on a Reuben I had on a business trip to Pennsylvania. I was amazed by how it differed from the pickled kraut I was used to. I like both (hated it as a kid) and keep both. Sometimes I want the tang and sometimes I want smooth.

Dunerunner likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7