FCC wants INPUT, on Lifetime Ham Radio Licenses.....

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Feb 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

FCC SEEKS COMMENTS ON LIFETIME LICENSES, 80/75 METER CHANGES

If you have thoughts on the ARRL's petition for the FCC to make changes to 80 and 75 meters, now is the time to share them. Or if you want to weigh in a proposal that the FCC issue lifetime amateur radio licenses, take care of that now too.

On the bands, the ARRL has asked the commission to fix what it calls a shortfall in available spectrum for RTTY and data, following the bands' reapportionment by the FCC a decade ago. The ARRL would like to see the boundary shifted between the 75 meter phone/image subband and the 80 meter RTTY/data subband - a proposal that the league's Board of Directors adopted as policy in July of last year. The ARRL would like the phone/image subband to extend from 3650 kHz to 4000 kHz and the RTTY/data subband to extend from 3500 kHz to 3650 kHz. The ARRL would also like 3600 kHz to 3650 kHz made available for General and Advanced Class licensees - as it had been before 2006.

The FCC is also considering a request made last year for lifetime licenses to replace the 10-year term. In his petition, Mark F. Krotz, N7MK, of Mesa, Arizona, pointed out that the General Radiotelephone Operator License sets a precedent because it is already valid for a lifetime.

Using the FCC’s Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS), select RM11759 for the 80 and 75 meter issue, and RM11760 for the lifetime license issue. Let your voice be heard.

2. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I'm new. What would be the argument against it?

3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Thanks for the heads up BT.
    I hold the General Radiotelephone Operator License as well as General class HAM License. Since it's free to renew the HAM license, it's just costing the FCC to renew them every ten years. Seems to make sense for HAM to be lifetime.
    Still need to get a rig and up and running on HF. Lots of irons in the fire right now, including a possible permanent move to the BOL in the next year or two. Depends on a ship coming in. Any humble abode built there will include a small manageable HAM shack.

BTPost, melbo and kellory like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

None... and it costs the commission MORE to process these than they get, because they do NOT charge for HaThe precedent is already set, by the Commission's change of the Commercial Licensing going to Lifetime Licenses, a number of years ago.... All the Commercial RadioTelephone and RadioTelegraph Licenses are Lifetime Permits.....

5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Done.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Corporations and their policies...
    The peasants must be licensed.
    I suppose a lifetime license is better if it doesn't come with additional conditions and fees.
    It's like comparing a psychotic killer to a deranged murderer --either way you're dead if you are the unlucky party involved.

I choose to opt-out of the rat race. I support the underground republic. ;)

Homer Simpson likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. Tully Mars
  3. sdr
  4. Southbound
  5. SB21
  6. Bandit99
  7. sdr
  8. Bandit99
  9. DKR
  10. BTPost
  11. DKR