favor to ask......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fl4848, Jan 31, 2023.

1. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I live in the god-forsaken state of Massachusetts.

My favorite whiskey is George Dickel No.8. For the past 3 years, Dickel whiskey has not been in stores anywhere. I have scoured every liquor store across the state. I have bought up every last bottle I could find, but now my supplies have run out.

I have also gone to Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine... No stores have Dickel.

I spoke with a woman at the New Hampshire State Liquor store on the border line, and she said many people ask for George Dickel every day, but there is no supply coming in. She said, literally 15 minutes before I asked her, some other gentlemen had inquired about Dickel.

I also called the Dickel company, but they gave me some run-around and didn't give me a straight answer.

Favor to ask.....

If you live outside of the New England area, could you take a look in your local liquor store and let me know if they have Dickel. I'm curious to know if this is just a New England Dickel shortage, or if it's across the country.

This is what it looks like:
    George Dickel No.8 Brand - Bot.1960s : The Whisky Exchange

Thanks!!!!!

2. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Hi! I really hope that you find what you're looking for. It's frustrating to have a favorite "go to" that either goes out of print or stops being stocked.
    I'm in Hawai'i and searched online for your specific bottle, but couldn't find it. I did find George Dickel Rye Whiskey, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.
    Cheers and happy searching!

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and fl4848 like this.
  3. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Alanaana, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Thanks Alanaana!

Yes, the Rye Whiskey, for some reason, seems to be the product they're pushing more than the traditional No 8. However, I'm actually not able to find any Dickel whiskey in New England. It seems to be wiped off the shelves and they're not getting any more supply. Very confused what's going on.

Dunerunner and Alanaana like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Give this a try: Where to Buy | George Dickel

Will give nearby locations as well as online delivery.
    Here is an online source that has it: George Dickel No. 8 Classic Tennessee Sour Mash Whisky

I'll check locally as I've been rediscovering old fashioned's of late. Sort of had to after I discovered some previously ignored whiskey glassed to be high end Waterford crystal making it a crime to fill them with the rotgut I normally drink. Wyoming, BYW is the bomb...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Dunerunner, Alanaana and fl4848 like this.
  6. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Oh man! I got all excited. I almost thought that craftshack was going to let me buy Dickel online. Low and behold, good-ole Massachusetts won't allow for that. You gotta love blue states. So close!!!

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I used the Find Near Me search. I think it's broken. Doesn't pull anything up.

I'm going to have to start bootlegging this stuff somehow.

Dunerunner likes this.
  8. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

ah-ha!!

I found a place in MA that sells it. These guys do a great review of it:
    George Dickel Tennessee Whisky

Put in an order for $400 bucks worth of handles. Should last me awhile.

natshare, Dunerunner, techsar and 4 others like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

fl4848 and Dunerunner like this.
  10. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Time to leave Taxa2shits

mysterymet, fl4848 and Dunerunner like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I guess I am missing something as I read the article and see nothing that shouts "Wokey" at me. The article praises her " George Dickel Bottled in Bond, a 13-year-old Tennessee whiskey, won both Whiskey of the Year " in 2019 and her support of "Bottled in Bond" (which I never heard of but will certainly be looking for in the near future) plus leading the charge to reduce FET (less tax on anything is always good! :)). So, I assume you have more information than the article or I missed something.

Anyway, glad you found your favorite and got a batch on order. Did you ever find out the actual cause of the shortage? My state, Idaho, still uses State Liquor stores and many times they don't stock or will not stock for some reason (cost, sales, etc.) and then it's almost impossible to get your hands on it. It's not the manager's fault as they simply can't order it as its not on their approved list. For example, there is a special brand of gin I like but certainly doesn't sell as well as some of the others, so they just stopped carrying it. So, in my state, it is the actual Liquor stores that are the problem. I hope we go to selling liquor in grocery stores as it will drive costs down, make more items available and there certainly is no valid reason not to do so in this day and age.

12. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

fl4848, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Had to look in the pantry. My bottle is a 12, not to be confused with 12 year. Going to look for a bottle of GD 8year for my stash!!

14. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Read this article:

How Groundbreaking Distiller Nicole Austin Is Reinventing Tennessee Whiskey

After earning her bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from Manhattan College in Riverdale, N.Y., in 2006, Austin started off her career in environmental engineering. “I thought I was going to be the next Erin Brockovich. That was 100 percent my plan,” says Austin. “I was going to takedown evil polluters and look great in miniskirts while I did it.” It turned out that working on massive waste management infrastructure and scaled engineering projects didn’t afford her much time to find and expose polluters.

She’s excited to be tapping into the creative thinking processes she used when she was distilling craft spirits, and asking, “What completely new and weird different thing can I do here that has nothing to do with George Dickel?”

<--- Why do you want to do something "new" and "weird"? Be thankful you're working at one of the best whiskey distillers in the country. New and weird are not necessary IMHO.

She’s experimenting with a range of fermentation, distillation, and production methods, with not using maple charcoal mellowing, and with using it on different spirits to see what it brings to them. She’s also very interested in exploring what Cascade Hollow might be capable of producing besides Tennessee whiskey.

<--- Maple charcoal mellowing in Dickel's hallmark. Typical left-wing ideology of changing everything. Fixing sh*t that ain't broke. Ruining tradition. Not respecting the shoulders you're standing on.

Would it be wrong to suggest that the branding appears feminine by design?
    I’m not a creative person, but I had a clear concept in my head, and relied on our creative agency to make it work. I told them that this whisky was not about heritage or tradition. I wanted it to be a disruptor. I didn’t want it to look like anything else on the shelf. I was inspired by beer branding. Bright colors, lots of art. I felt this whisky had to be art-driven, eye-catching.

When I first looked at what the agency came up with, my response was, ‘It’s too pink’.” It’s really different. Though at no point did I mention that I wanted the bottle to be attractive to women. But when you think of whisky signifiers, they tend to be masculine. So when you don’t want to look like everything else on the shelf, it stands to reason that you would look feminine by definition.

<----Whisky is not about heritage or tradition???? Ummm. Ya it is!
    <---- I want to be a "disruptor" .... Very left-wing zombie thought process right there.
    <---- She's making pink whisky bottles?? Not to mention, Dickel used to have the best whiskey label, bar none. She scrapped it and slapped on a lower-class label, IMHO.

With that said, I'm probably being too harsh on her. But I really hate when people f*** with the Dickel. It's traditional Tennessee whisky. My opinion... Leave it alone! Know when you've got a good thing, and don't mess with it. Dickel is beyond a good thing. They came up with the perfect tasting whisky. I can't drink anything else. I've been drinking this stuff since college. People used to laugh at me, because everyone considered it the "cheap" whisky. But I didn't care if it was cheap or expensive. It's delicious! I tried all the whiskys, from bargain basement to Black label. Only Dickel will do. George Dickel got it right!

Bandit99 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I think I tried some of the other recipes, but didn't care for them. No 8 is a classic.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Yea, 12 is nothing to shout about!! Liking Wild Turkey Rare Breed, neat.

MarkTwain, Gator 45/70 and fl4848 like this.
  18. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I guess it would be like letting Pete Buttigieg become the CEO of Rolex. Nothing good is going to come of that. The product is too good to be ruined by a wokey zombie. It deserves to be run by someone who has a brain and thinks for him/herself.

I've gotten myself in trouble a couple nights with the Wild Turkey. I won't even get started with the skeletons in the closet with Cuervo.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2023
    snake6264, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Happy to announce that I have picked up a lifetime supply of Dickel!

The guy at the shop is only other true Dickel fan that I have met. We had a long conversation about Dickel.

I'm not sure if anyone has let the cat out of the bag about George Dickel's subtle sense of humor. I guess it's about time that someone did. Take a look at the classic Dickel bottle. Phallic symbol anyone?

I bought a bottle-in-bond. The owner of the shop said you have to buy a certain amount of No. 8 to get a bottle-in-bond. He said no one was interested in it, and it's been sitting on the shelf for 13 years. So I bought a bottle. It' has 20% more alcohol in it. To be honest, I think it's a little too much alcohol. It disturbs the mellow, sweet marshmallow flavor of No. 8 in my opinion.

Long live George Dickel !!!

20. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

After watching this video, I want to try the No. 12. I bought the bottle-in-bond, and I wasn't a huge fan. Has too much alchol content. I'm no expert. This guy seems to think the flavor changes the more air you get in the bottle.

Gator 45/70 and MarkTwain like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7