Faraday bag.

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Tjb61, Apr 11, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Tjb61

Tjb61 Monkey

Did a search but could not find a post on Faraday bags. Looking for a quality one preferably made in America.

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 and Brokor like this.
  3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

follow the pros - the military don't have a use for them - they know the enhanced EMP nukes will be hunting them down deep into the bunkers - a static bag is a joke against that kind of weapon .....

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I put my electronics into Faraday bags,...and then put everything into a Faraday cage!

Tempstar and Tjb61 like this.
  5. Tjb61

Tjb61 Monkey

6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Be advised, a Faraday bag only attenuates the pulse. A metal, ungrounded enclosure is the only safe bet here.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Mission Darkness Faraday Bags
    It's better than nothing, but only if you use the highest quality bags which have been tested. I use them and it's because they are inexpensive insurance. A Faraday cage is ideal, but if you use the bags in conjunction with the cage, that's also fine even if arguably not required. The thing is, these bags are really initially designed to keep signals from escaping, (to prevent a mobile device from communicating with cell towers). I wouldn't fully trust every bag against a very strong EMP, and some of them do offer some protection...but I don't think the studies have been done to confirm the efficacy of these less expensive and quality "Faraday" bags. Even these Mission Darkness bags will "help protect" your device, but they will not absolutely EMP-proof your items inside.

8. Tjb61

Tjb61 Monkey

I understand how the Faraday cage works in the case that there's an EMP attack. All I want is a faraday bag for the key fobs and cell phones that keep them from being tracked. Somewhat piece of mind if you will.

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Maybe.... two bags, one inside the other, with an aluminum foil bag between them? DIY to whatever size you need.

Tjb61 likes this.
  10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Are those antistatic (?) bags delicate electronics are shipped in good for anything?

They are kinda opaque and silvery.

11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

They are a carbon infused mylar but are useless for the purposes of this discussion. They are designed to be conductive enough to keep the pins and protrusions of the circuit board at equal voltage to reduce static build up while in storage or during transport or handling.

Zimmy and CraftyMofo like this.
  12. A close friend travels a lot for work and his employer gave him a GODARK bag for his phone and laptop. It stops any call, email or notification when in the bag. As a simple test, I put an AM/FM radio in the bag, and it worked. Not sure why but assuming different frequencies.
    Any thoughts or ideas as to why it would stop the cell signal but not radio?

13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Commercial radio likely uses much stronger broadcast signal strength than a cell tower.

gii shi kan dug and Zimmy like this.
  14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

The bag is attenuating the outgoing cell signal enough that the tower isn't receiving the "here I am" handshake from the phone, thus the call can't be delivered.

Zimmy and gii shi kan dug like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7