Failure to launch - again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Jun 2, 2024.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Boing Boing's Starliner failed to launch once more.

How many years is this thing late and how many Billions over budget

Maybe they could subcontract with X for the launch - if they can fit it into their busy launch schedule....

Beltway Bandits are now the laughingstock...only the taxpayers are not laughing...

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70, Meat and 2 others like this.
  2. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Part of this is the loss of so many good quality contractors in this country, many of whom made the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo launches spectacular successes. Over the years, though, many of them have been absorbed by bigger companies, like Boeing, who didn't necessarily inherit the spirit of adventure and good engineering that the companies they bought once had. And, I'm sure, the other problem is that NASA has made this new capsule one helluva engineering headache, with all sorts of bells and whistles. While forgetting the cardinal rule of engineering: KISS.

Zimmy and Meat like this.
  3. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Discount Diversity hiring practices aren't helping, either.

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Just remember all of the postponed launches during the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs. Don't get me started on the Space Shuttle and all of those launch delays. There is always a gremlin or two in the works...somewhere...just waiting.

mysterymet and chelloveck like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I bet they still managed to lose a fair amount of luggage

Zimmy likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

It's almost like the Starliner was built by communist's subjects whom don't give a crap?

CraftyMofo likes this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

NASA kept redesigning the wheel, every few years they would scrap the plans and begin again. The Starliner/ULA system is so overpriced that they will only be able to launch the few that they have completed or are under construction, and then they will be forced to go with the SpaceX systems, which are much cheaper.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7