Excited to pick up my side of beef for the freezer tomorrow

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Hanzo, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Not sure if this is the right place. But I'm looking forward to getting the meat!

One of my buddies has a regenerative farm and thankfully, he calls me when he slaughters a cow. Fresh and healthy is the way to go!

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

(y)(y)(y)

I've been thinking of getting a side myself,, possibly splitting the cost with someone else.
    Back in my early days , my grandfather had a farm , and about 60 or so head of cattle. I remember he would have one butchered about every year and he would split the butchering cost with my dad ,, and we'd make the 5 hour trip to see him , and would pack coolers full of 1/2 the meat. I can't remember exactly,, but years later , I asked my Dad how much he spent on that side of beef , and he said it averaged around 300 bucks .
    Don't forget to post pics of your recipes ,,,:D

Hanzo, CraftyMofo and Meat like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We raise Scottish Highland cattle. Once a year we have a steer butchered, with our next one, Lucky, due in September. The wild one, Mr. Meats, is our 2025 candidate. The last one, we recieved 720 lbs of great meat averaging $3.25 per pound cut and wrapped.

This year we had two beautiful heifer calves.
    One just yesterday morning!!
    20240719_090507. 20240719_084941.

Zimmy, Hanzo, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Sounds good, both of you fellas.

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Jerry Fisk

Jerry Fisk Monkey

The only way to fly. I hunt a couple of axis deer each year and get one side of beef each year. No government injections for me.

Zimmy, Hanzo, Bandit99 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

We thought of it as that was my intention, but the wife started working at a major grocery and now she gets some really super deals on meat. We found it cheaper to do this. I got 2 big freezers now completely full of just meat. The nice thing about buying a side of beef is you can have it cut exactly like you want.

Zimmy, Hanzo and SB21 like this.
  7. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

…and having it packed like you want! 1.5 lb ground beef packs is about perfect.

Yard Dart, Hanzo and Bandit99 like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7