Estwing - leather grip handle - oil????

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Illini Warrior, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

cleaning up an old Estwing hatchet - varnish is wore off and the leather is dry - see suggestions of using mink oil, mineral oil, neetsfoot oil and warmed combo mix of varnish & oil ....

any suggests?

2. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

For wooden handles I have been using Danish Oil lately. Seems to be working out pretty well. You can get it in natural or colors. It stains, seals, and penetrates.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Go with the Mink Oil.

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Start with vaseline then move to a better oil but get it saturated

5. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I use Linseed oil for all tool handles, and have used it to water proof gloves so it works well for leather also.
    I no longer buy those dang fiberglass handle shovels, etc I thought they would be great, but sometimes you can't improve on wood.

Rancher

ochit, Alf60 and Lancer like this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Palm sweat. It's kept mine in good shape for many years;)

Yard Dart, ochit, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  7. Pro Tool industries offered a product something like mink oil for their woodsman's pal leather. Don't know if t's still available. If lea is loose you may have to replace all of it. Then keep the handle lubed.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Id say mink oil or neatsfoot oil. . I used to do leather tooling & those seemed to work best.

Tully Mars likes this.
  9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I remember a few years ago, looking through my stuff for a tin of mink oil. Jimi asked what I was looking for so I told her that I needed my mink oil. Her response? "I've done oiled them minks."

oldawg and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Be careful! Using too much oil can really turn a leather handle to mush. The finest leather preservative I have ever used (and, yes, I've used a lot of Lexol) is the same one used by the Metropolitan Art Museum in NYC: Pecard's Leather Treatment. But, why am I telling you this? I thought the whole world knew about Pecard's!

By the way, I'm almost 75 years old; and I still have my high school baseball mitt. I got it in my freshman year, all the way back in 1958! Know what? After about 25 years of occasional treatments with Lexol; and another 40, or so, years of occasional treatments with Pecard's my well used Wilson's baseball mitt looks and feels as good as it did back in the days when I first cleaned it up before retiring it, and put it away in a plastic box for storage!

It's really a beautiful piece of leather; which is, I suppose, why I've kept it for so long. (I played some really good ball games – both here, and in Canada – with this mitt! But, oh jeeze, I wax nostalgic!) :p

11. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

neatsfoot oil would be my choice

12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I use Ballistol on just about everything leather but boots. On boots it's Redwing (neatsfoot) oil.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7