EMP and pacemaker/defib

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Dusty308, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dusty308

Dusty308 Living between the lines

Hello Ya'll,

Just looking for some input on surviving an EMP with a pacer and defib?
    Any thoughts?

I'm screwed? lol

Dusty [coldfire]

2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Yeah me too... that's why I wear my tinfoil hat!

Rancher

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Since low EM and radio frequency interference (RFI) sources like microwaves and welding equipment are covered with warning about pacemakers it's probably not going to be fun to have one during a high energy employees event.
    Since I have never heard of solar flares interfering with pacemakers I think you are good there.

4. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Unless you live in a faraday cage, I'd say you are pretty much screwed in the event of an EMP. Since most folks with such devices are usually also on some of the meds I take, it probably just speeds up the process a bit anyway though.

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

As my cardiologist told me, the reason I can't have an MRI is not because the device is not shielded, but because the leads into the heart act as a huge antenna to any magnetic field...

Rancher

sec_monkey and Sgt Nambu like this.
  6. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

One doc wanted to add one to my body accessories a couple years back, but my regular cardiologist and I agreed that, as long as when my heart goes into 3/4 time or 2/4 time, it still puts out at least 35-40 bpm which keeps me going so why mess with something that works...however marginally.

7. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Three places that can be subtly dangerous that you'd probably never think of are (1) the local Verizon phone store, (2) any computer store with a lot of, 'live units', and (3) your dentist's office. Anytime I get near a table full of powered-on tablets and/or large cell phones — if the display has enough devices turned on then — Whammo! I'll start to get dizzy enough to have to leave the room. At the dentist's office be sure to keep the control cord on his handheld ultrasonic cavitron scaler away from your unit, too.

Not to fret, though. I had a really serious episode of cardiac failure back in 2009. Nobody thought I was going to make it. Heck, I didn't think I was going to make it, either! If you're new to all this I would STRONGLY recommend that you ask your cardiologist to enroll you in your hospital's cardio-rehabilitation program. (Normally, the insurance companies don't want you to do something like this because it's a lot cheaper for them if they just let you die!) In my own situation it was the regular, carefully monitored exercise that really brought me back, 'from the edge' fast.

Another thing you might have to ask for (I did!) is for the ICD's manufacturer to give you a home monitor that will read your UNIT (not you!) once a day in order to guard against any kind of device anomaly that might occur.

(You'll learn to live comfortably with the thing; just like we all do! I'm about to start my 9th year; and who would 'a thunk — I actually died on the table; and, after speaking briefly with a couple of angels, I decided to return so that I could spend a little more time with my beautiful wife!) ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    mysterymet, ghrit and tacmotusn like this.
  8. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

Wow, I had never thought of this!

Pax Mentis likes this.
  9. Dusty308

Dusty308 Living between the lines

I have no interference from microwaves or power tools of any kind. I do have a newer model. No MRI's I would agree. Doc said no power tools but they don't bother me so far and I have used them regularly. I do have a home monitor that checks me monthly. I was sitting in the ICU with my family when I went into total heart failure. God is good. My heartbeat was 33 a minute prior to that and I was out kayaking for 2 days prior to the incident. When they say you can't die from a broken heart that's a lie. I was lucky.

Thank you for your comments,
    D

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I had a friend with a a pace maker that was so powerful I could feel/hear it standing just a few feet from him .
    My ears ring tenentious , I can't even imagine mental challenge of the tick of a pace maker going on 24/7 .
    I'm wondering if a mylar vest (hidden inside clothing) might offer some protection , at least if the distance form the EMP the signal is weakened ,your chances might be better than having nothing at all.

Dusty308 likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. hot diggity
  3. Waydah
  4. Meat
  5. UncleMorgan
  6. The_Prepared
  7. Ganado
  8. HK_User
  9. apache235
  10. The_Prepared
  11. Bishop