Earthquake in SF

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TailorMadeHell, Aug 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Sitting here and reading the boards just started feeling strange. Was like I was at sea or something. Crazy back and forth motion, then I found it was not my body moving so much as it was the building under me. Yes, folks, just experienced an earthquake or really weird aftershock. Whole building was rocking. I survived however and no damage to report. Will post when I find out more information on it. Have fun.

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I had that same feeling this weekend! What a coincidence! Figured out it was the bottle of wine that I drank, the moving feeling went away the next morning!

3. TailorMadeHell

Sniper, that's why I'm a big advocate of seatbelts on household chairs. Got to keep all you drinkers safe from that crazy feeling. :D

Okay, I found out it was indeed an earthquake. So far I don't know where the epi-center was, however it was a 4.7. Life is going as normal as usual except for me. I want out of CA as fast as possible, though I know it won't happen anytime soon. Haha.

I have learned that I have some learning to do. I have to figure out where you should go when you are on the sixth floor in the case of an earthquake. I have no idea. I thought maybe stand in the doorway, though that wouldn't help any. The skylight in the hall is made of glass and that would be fun dodging huge glass shards. If I went down and out to the street, then I would have to run like all getout to get there and it may not even do any damage as just experienced. If I go out the window to the roof of the building next door and it damaged a lot of stuff then I would be dodging two other tall buildings and may get hit by rubble.

I think my best bet would be to try and slide under my bed and hope for the best, or I could dive inside that closet thing I have. Would keep the rubble from directly impacting my skull. That would be an okay thing and with being on the top floor, there shouldn't be that much anyways. Maybe about four or five foot worth of cement and structure. Hardest part would be once the floor gives way, I would go for a really big slide. Though in my makeshift slide vehicle (The closet), I may be able to get up unhurt and exclaim, 'That was so cool. Let's do it again.' :D

Okay, just as I was finishing this up, I found secondary effects of the earthquake. My shaving kit that was sitting on a small table finished falling off of it. I think it was a little shook up. Hahaha.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Im glad your ok, get out of Kali man!!!!!!!!

5. TailorMadeHell

But I want to stay. I want to build me an underground shelter and watch as the earthquake hits and the earth opens up and swallows it and my preps as well. What about the nuke attacks? How else am I supposed to get that glow in the dark skin tone? You know in CA it's all about looks. Besides, after they take away our guns, there won't be any criminals to harm us. :D

Out of CA, as soon as I can man. As soon as I can.

6. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

TMH.
    I think someone up above is trying to tell ya you don't belong there so heed the advice and run like hell. On the other note I have no idea where you would stand for a shaker. but I guess it would be a helluva ride in that closet of yours.

Take care Be safe Poacher.

7. TailorMadeHell

Soon as I can get myself in a better situation, I am out of here. Got to hang out till then. Just hope the big one doesn't hit while I'm here. Haha. As for the ride, yes that would be fun. I have been assured by some of those in the know about earthquakes that I stand a good chance of surviving with me being higher up as usually the buildings like to pancake and those below my floor could be a little bit of ooze afterwards. The closet should provide enough protection for my head so I don't get hit by debris and also would act as a column to hold up some of the major debris until it slides past me. Going Sunday to meet with a couple of NERT guys that will let me in on the process of earthquake safety.

It just felt really wrong for the floor underneath me to be moving around. Ya know. Didn't set well in my mind that it's a natural process. Haha. When I get more information on whether I am assured my new job I will find out if I have to spend any time in CA. I hope not. Hope after I get it, I can motivate somewhere else. I am going to try and make my next and last move to a neck of the woods where I can then set up my prepping. That too needs to be done quickly as the world looks like it's getting more and more out of whack. All you can do is hope and prep.

1. Brokor
  2. duane
  3. DKR
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. BTPost
  6. Yard Dart
  7. ladrillero
  8. Motomom34
  9. Grand58742
  10. ghostrider
  11. Clyde
  12. melbo