E-Power

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Nov 10, 2023.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

MSN
    Duh. I was a city employee once and even plowed snow. City officials are often the dumbest dumbest human beings alive. EV plow trucks for Pete’s sake! Lol.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

NYC - showing the real cost of political virtue signaling. Enjoy your Venezuelan hookers, yo....

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yeah, it's sad how many otherwise intelligent people are buying into this canard of EVs for ALL duties. Inner city commuting, okay. Trucks hauling loads, or plowing snow all day.... no. Just no. But they will waste millions in tax dollars and cause a lot of problems before they learn.

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

You give them too much credit...
    ...they'll never learn.

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Or, they do like OryGun and spend all their road maintenance money on homeless and city art projects and have ZERO funds to plow, sand, salt, or otherwise maintain the roads this year! They even sent out several notices warning the public that there will be ZERO snow/ice services this season! Seeing as how we have 7 major mountain pass's in this state, THAT'S going to seriously effect trucking into and out of this fucking state, literally the ONLY interstate with out a pass is the I-5 North to Seattle, any other direction out of this state has at least ONE major mountain pass!

duane, Yard Dart, techsar and 3 others like this.
  6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Guess no one learned from the EV school busses that regularly burn and otherwise fail.

duane, SB21, techsar and 3 others like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Our Wi-Fi runs when our truck runs, lol. Imagine idling a diesel truck for hours on end so your strobe lights, spotting lights and Wi-Fi don’t run your batteries down. Oh yeah, all of our battery tools need their batteries charged too. Lol. HorseFace Kerry couldn’t imagine what it takes to put up lines. Lol.

8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Problem is, they won't learn. And when they're proven wrong, they'll blame the right.....for being right!!

duane, Altoidfishfins, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Wait till one of them schoolbuses explodes and burns up a bus load of kids.
    I've seen here recently where a couple of busses have burst into flames ,,, and they can't even put the fires out. Yep ,,,that's gonna turn off this EV crap.

10. Seawolf1090

The darkly funny thing is, those EV charging stations are powered by diesel, either a portable trailermounted rig or major power station supplying the grid. EVs just shift the exact point where dinojuice is used, doesn't eliminate it. But silly ecogeeks don't realise that.

duane, Altoidfishfins, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  11. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Ecogeeks don't realize anything approaching reality. They live in their own little fantasy world.

duane, Meat, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

278 million registered light vehicles in the US. Imagine plugging all of those in just after the 5:00 PM rush hour.
    Talk about Grid Down.

duane, Meat, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  13. Seawolf1090

California will soon learn that painful lesson when they force all dealers to sell only EVs, and start shutting down gas stations. Their institutionalised stupidity knows no bounds.

duane, Meat, Altoidfishfins and 2 others like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yes sir ,, of all the places in the country ,, that seems to be the worst place to start ,, they can't hardly keep the power on as it is .
    But , they voted for it. , good for them .

Idahoser, duane, Meat and 2 others like this.
  15. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I was plowing one night when a freak snowstorm hit us, 4 feet of snow! The town was completely crippled for about 3 days including police and fire. Our trucks were pretty worthless too and when I told my Pops he said “Aren’t they set up with triple rails?” Huh? He added “A single chain on duals is only slightly better than nothing!” Pops should have been our bosses instead of our bosses. Lol. “Loggers are stupid” he often said but I never believed that. Lol.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  16. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I think it's awesome. Creativity that industry needs may bring up improvements. The money will be there.

Let shitty other states pay for it.

Seawolf1090, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  17. duane

duane Monkey+++

Had a local kid driving a Tesla sports car driving on an icy road. Car slid off road and hit tree, Three teenagers in it, two got out, third was trapped and of course it caught fire. Got the girl out of the wreck with broken bones, burns, and lung damage due to the smoke. Firemen were never able to put battery fire out as it just kept reigniting. She died a few days later during an operation. Local talk indicates that it was lung damage due to the battery fire that killed her and that without the fire she would have survived. Main reason driver was not found guilty was that the accident was not really that severe and if it had been a normal car, the seat belts, body structure, and basic design would have limited the damages. Tesla hit tree, broke in half, and battery burned giving off toxic smoke and causing burns.

Teen driver in fatal Rindge Tesla crash pleads guilty; mother of victim chooses ‘grace and forgiveness’ | Manchester Ink Link

While the government seems to be down playing the smoke risk, one study shows Li-ion batteries give off fluoride gases that are deadly when burned.

Toxic fluoride gas emissions from lithium-ion battery fires
    The study concluded that :

This study covered a broad range of commercial Li-ion battery cells with different chemistry, cell design and size and included large-sized automotive-classed cells, undergoing fire tests. The method was successful in evaluating fluoride gas emissions for a large variety of battery types and for various test setups.

Significant amounts of HF, ranging between 20 and 200 mg/Wh of nominal battery energy capacity, were detected from the burning Li-ion batteries. The measured HF levels, verified using two independent measurement methods, indicate that HF can pose a serious toxic threat, especially for large Li-ion batteries and in confined environments. The amounts of HF released from burning Li-ion batteries are presented as mg/Wh. If extrapolated for large battery packs the amounts would be 2–20 kg for a 100 kWh battery system, e.g. an electric vehicle and 20–200 kg for a 1000 kWh battery system, e.g. a small stationary energy storage. The immediate dangerous to life or health (IDLH) level for HF is 0.025 g/m3 (30 ppm)22 and the lethal 10 minutes HF toxicity value (AEGL-3) is 0.0139 g/m3 (170 ppm)23. The release of hydrogen fluoride from a Li-ion battery fire can therefore be a severe risk and an even greater risk in confined or semi-confined spaces.

This is the first paper to report measurements of POF3, 15–22 mg/Wh, from commercial Li-ion battery cells undergoing abuse. However, we could only detect POF3 for one of the battery types and only at 0% SOC, showing the complexity of the parameters influencing the gas emission. No POF3could be detected in any of the other tests.

The way I read it is the tests indicate large battery fires, solar power or electrical vehicle sized, give off gasses measured in the kilograms, while lethal doses are about 170 parts per million.

While the fires may kill you with there heat and deadly gasses, we don't want to give up on the electric everything. The following article about a Tesla fire plays down all the dangers. Move on folks, nothing to see here.

Why the Fire that Incinerated a Tesla Was Such a Nightmare to Put Out

If a retired 85 year old mechanic can find this data on the net in a 10 minute search using duck duck go, why isn't it reported in the major news outlets and why is the government down playing the dangers. They have no problems recalling millions of baby cribs when there are 4 deaths and some injuries and at least part of the reason was the parents or store did not assemble them correctly.

Largest crib recall in U.S. history announced

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    Meat likes this.
  18. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I would imagine that E-power would do fine on set routes with little traffic problems. Mountain passes and etc are out for now obviously. Funny how there’s no push for less traveling on jet-airplanes and cruise ships for the masses, don’t those emit? Less of almost everything is really our only hope here.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  19. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

HorseFace Kerry was popping off about coal and etc. I can’t get past his new face, it’s more hideous than the unusually long face he used to have. It’s disturbing to me that this old fart is still relevant to some, bragging that he’s more “militant” than ever. What a loser.

Tempstar and CraftyMofo like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7