DUI checkpoints and the New Year

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grandpa Patch, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

As usual, our local and state police are getting ready for this evening. There will be DUI checkpoints up and operational by this evening and will continue through the night. Every year many are arrested for DUI and many more are just harassed by the LEO's. We have people who do not want to speak with the officers, roll their windows down or provide any information, as they feel they are being illegally detained for no reason and that their rights are being violated. While I personally agree that I should not be harassed, detained without reason or burdened with unnecessary questions or attempted discussions by the LEOs, I also see the numbers of arrests made every year for DUI and understand that the LEOs have a difficult job to do this evening.

As I do not leave my house on New Year's eve this is not an issue for me. I hope every enjoy's their own celebrations for the New Year and get home safely. Take care to avoid or keep your distance form those who do not care about their safety or yours as they swerve down the highways and city streets.

Sapper John, Zimmy, techsar and 7 others like this.
  2. BenP

BenP Monkey++

My goal is to be in bed by 9:30.

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

They won't have to worry about me being in their way tonight , so they can do what they've got to do . I hope they all make it home safe .

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I too avoid driving on holidays. Of course, being a nondrinker helps too. ;)

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

There's actually NO excuse to DD ever!!!
    Uber, Taxi's, D.Driver,walk your drunk ass home,mule and horses.

6. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Early dinner and will drink when I get home and in the rack by 10

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never been in a DUI checkpoint. I know they have them but they must have them late at night or something.
    Nowadays it is smart to do as told because I just saw a video of some guy getting shot for fixing his daughters car. It was awful.

Just had burgers with the boys and I am in for the night.
    vil2_reveillon3.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Watching telly (military history), eating a late dinner, listening to the holiday artillery across the street. Somebody in the crackerbox development always buys the noisy stuff!
    Illegal in Florida, but the local constabulary don't care as long as no property or people are injured.

9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Same here! Staying home and waiting for the artillery barge at midnight!

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Folks that have issue with LEO checkpoints for drinking and driving need to STFU and comply as needed! If you go out, you take on the risk, and the Cops are doing their job because of assholes who do drink and drive and then hurt or kill some one, maybe some one they know, so tough button it cupcake!

Be safe every one and Happy New Years to all

11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

WITH WHO ??
    @BenP

:)

Same here so dogs are Good .

I drink at 6AM before the cops are out ;)

Kidding , were back at the ranch after a Fuel run , Im good till 2020 now +++
    Sloth

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  12. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Tonight (New Year's Eve) and only tonight will I agree with your statement. We have way to many stupid people getting behind the wheel and if I had to be on the road tonight I would cooperate and move along. The police have it hard enough tonight.

The other 364 days of the year I will remind you that we do not live in a Police State and without Probable Cause and an arrest, I can not be illegally detained. Too many LEOs with a attitude and badge that make them unquestionable and always correct. Having a badge doesn't not make them correct. It makes power hungry assholes who think they can get away with anything by saying "I'm an Officer of the Law and you must comply."

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Arizona on Hiway 19 will detain you as long as it takes for the traffic in front of you to move through the check point! I have been through tbose several times, never delayed beyond the limits of traffic, and the only question was if I'm was a citizen! Helps to drive a loud big block 70s muscle car! I have seen folks get pissy with the LEO, and while they are right, it's not a good idea, they will look at you harder, maybe a random check of your car and your identity and that of those with you! The Patriot act gives them that power, so it's best to smile and say have a nice day, reather then have to stand there in the desert heat with a wound up German Sheppard high on Ritalin and Coke sniffing your junk and deciding if your really an American or not!

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Not an issue here, just chat with them like they're regular folks and move on down the road...but it has been several years since we've been out on New Years Eve...too many idiots to risk it nowadays.

15. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Wife and I went to dinner and came home fine. I'd never want to be a cop (because of the justice system) but am glad they're out there.

I'll go along with anything except a vehicle search. I don't have anything to hide but I don't want to be reassembling my car on the side of the road. A dozen LEO friends have advised the same.

16. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Any injustice that is accepted by lack of resistance from the citizens of a country will eventually become the norm or even a law. Just take a look at the 2nd Amendment issues that are raised everyday by legal citizens.

Mention guns rights or immigration in the news and everyone comes out with an opinion and argument. It is easy to ‘voice’ your opinion via the internet and social media these days. Mention taking action by resisting an injustice and most people will voice their opinion and then sit and watch, as it is too uncomfortable or inconvenient to take action themselves. The Patriot Act does give LEOs some measure of authority or permission concerning specific issues, but it does not give LEOs (local, state, federal) the right to violate your civil liberties as a law abiding, citizen who is simply travelling, shopping or driving down the highway. Immigration and entry into the United States should take place at our borders, not 20 miles inside our borders. These ‘immigration checkpoints’ that are 20 miles inside our borders do not stop illegal entry. Then if you have a passenger(s) with you, these officers think that they have full authority to ID everyone and ask a series of questions. While DUI checkpoints serve a valid safety issue they are also areas for out of control LEOs to push the limits of what is legal and acceptable conduct by our LEOs

I do not drink alcohol, use drugs or take any medications that cause an impaired state. I am courteous to LEOs, just as much as I am courteous to my doctor or local store clerk. I do not just bend over and let them 'give it to me' when they ask, demand or order something that I believe to be outside of the law, not in my best interest or pushes the limits of their perceived authority.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

My local police are masterful at setting up unavoidable check-points around bends and in valleys. You're on them before you even know what's happened. They must've had more important duties this morning. I was out visiting family into the New Year, and saw no police presence at all. Not enough traffic to keep them busy anyway.

Zimmy, Grandpa Patch and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7