Drinking Straw Kits

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ganado, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Here in AZ the summers are so hot neosporin in the car 1st Aid kit doesnt survive long so instead of buying cheap single use neosporin packets I started making these. I got this from Brian's backpacking blog.
    [​IMG]

This got me started thinking... What else can you do with this kind of one use kit

I carry sewing kits in everything, purse, cars etc. When 911 hit and we couldn't carry scissors on the plane I started carrying sewing kits in a medicine bottle. Which is ok but still bulky. This guy does sewing kits for backpacking with straws and it doubles as a bobber for fishing. He pre=threads a needle for clothing and a needle with waxed thread for sewing gear.

[​IMG]
    DIY: Drinking Straw Sewing Kit

What other creative ideas do you have for using straws for 1 use kits, sewing, fire, medical?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    arleigh, kellory, GOG and 3 others like this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Spices for exalting your chow. Salt, Pepper, Garlic. Onion Powder. You could carry a whole spice rack with almost no container weight.

Definitely meds, if they fit. Haven't checked, but I think a standard gel cap will fit inside a milkshake straw.

A small stash of waterproof cash.

Gun oil: Just fill & seal, then poke a pin in it to make an EZ applicator. Duct tape over it to reseal between uses.

Small hearing aid batteries, perhaps. Waterproof, compact, and easy to find when taped to a bunch of other straws.

Eyeglass repair kits. They come in a small bottle, but it isn't necessarily waterproof. It's true that duct tape can fix glasses, but life is better with the right parts.

Dry tinder: just light the straw and it becomes part of the start.

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

UncleMorgan likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Pretty smart cookie Ganado,
    Actually I carry several straws and other tubing , varying in size , a large aluminum one as a blow gun. and a few with in it for emergencies; like a tracheostomy, or temporarily re joining a length of severed artery.
    Didn't really occur to me to use them to store things in .
    thanks .

UncleMorgan, Ganado and Aeason like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I use a cut down aluminum arrow shaft as a 22lr. Speed loader for my Glenfield model 60.
    I like the idea of straw kits.

UncleMorgan, arleigh and Aeason like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@arleigh what size aluminum pipe do you carry as a blow gun? if I get time maybe we can experiment with poison arrow tips =) [wannamesswitme]:lol:

UncleMorgan likes this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

you can get larger straws at dollar stores.. the will hold all sorts of goodies water purification pills, Vaseline, detergent, gold bond powder, honey, springs, fishing baits... etc

UncleMorgan and Ganado like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't remember where I got it but i't's about 11 mm ID and a little over a foot long .
    A wad of paper and a pin can deliver any thing you want it just depends on your imagination .
    For very close range targets ,i.e. birds squirrels and such it doesn't take a lot of force .and being cheap to operate one can spend hours practicing with spit balls watching TV.

Ganado likes this.
  9. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I'm a scrounger, I freely admit. In restaurants, I keep any unused straws that land on my table, and any unused napkins. The napkins usually wind up in the car, where they are much more useful than the average tissue.

The straws can wind up anywhere. I'm not above the occasional spitball fight with the grandkids.

Ganado likes this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. Meat
  3. DKR
  4. HK_User
  5. The_Prepared
  6. Bishop
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. hot diggity