Does any one own or rent a Genie 34′ Towable Boom Lift

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Dec 23, 2020.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Just need some first hand information to checkout a purchase.

Owning one is better than a slip and fall and a trip to the hospital.

I don't bounce like I use to.

"Featuring a 44″ x 27″ basket size and 60-MPH towing speed, this unit comes equipped with hydraulic outriggers, surge brakes, leveling sensors, an AC outlet in the platform, and a parking brake.

This electric towable articulated boom lift with jib operates on 24v DC power and includes a 110v charger.

Reaches to 34′ height and provides more safety than ladders and scaffolding."

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I dont know much about them ,, but wish I was using one a year ago when I was thrown out of that tree that broke my ankle. But I'll be using one when I start cutting trees again.

3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

That’s pretty cool actually. I’ve never seen one before. :D

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and HK_User like this.
  4. HK_User

I like this type as it is smaller and a self leveling type.
    I spent 3 months one time wiring phones and IT circuits in a "plant".
    You'd be surprised what happens at lunch time in a plant when everyone goes to lunch and you are in the rafters 25 feet up in a battery powered lift.
    Mine had a engine powered generator that could be started and stopped as needed.

5. Manlift WAY MUCH better than a fall. I used many different brands of lifts over the years. My personal favorites were JLG. I have used two different models of genie. They will do the job, but like I said not my fave. Will owner allow a test use? If You are comfortable with operation and price go for it. Don't forget safety restraints and maybe hard hat..

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  6. HK_User

Things are best for me from a certified dealer. So much safety now days, Logs and test are required to include when sold for hours of battery use and of course test of batteries if used.

Like airplanes no logs no insurance company will cover the purchase.

7. HK_User

These can be real Job losers for those who become speed devils.

Same as scissor lift and long reach units.

8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

In Alaska we used the Lull lift truck but it required a driver. I’ve been on the 120 foot Genie (I think that was the height) Amazing machine yet a tad spooky up high. Yikes!

9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I rent a TZ50 from the local rental place now and then for taking down the occasional dead tree in spots where there is no good way to drop it between buildings. Also a must for changing some of the up high lights. Can say you have to book it 3-4 Months in advance as it is constantly rented out. Pretty straight forward in its operation and very stable even when fully extended. Also has a decent size platform to work from. Thought about buying a used one but just can't justify spending $25,000-$35,000 on something I can rent Friday through Sunday for $250.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  10. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I've rented that same lift from the local rent-all several times. REAL handy when you need to be up in the air for something.

This a used machine ? How much does it go for if you don't mind me asking ?

Gator 45/70, SB21 and HK_User like this.
  11. HK_User

Just started looking and I'm most interested in a unit that has the full set of hours or New.
    YMMV but I'm in this for the long term so it matters to me about some KUBOTA type 0% financing on a new machine.
    Too bad Kubota does not have some type unit but at least this is a US machine.
    I don't know about your area but safety inspections are required in some states and a warranty if used, for safety concerns as many of these have specs/pms to be met to be sold used.
    Of course the general range is $28,000 but that depends on the time and place and stock on some dealer's lot.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  12. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Cool.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and HK_User like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I rented one to cut down a tree from the top to the bottom next to my house.
    They are pretty nice.

Gator 45/70, Meat and HK_User like this.
  14. HK_User

One of the reasons I like them is to be able to start at the top of an overgrown fence line and sart from the top down.

That and I expect a bad drought and fire season.

Then again I need to redo the house and garage from the top down.

Gator 45/70, Meat and SB21 like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

How does your weather fair going into solar maximum? What was your weather like around 2009 and up?

Gator 45/70, HK_User and Meat like this.
  16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Genie puts out a nice product. We use their lifts pretty much weekly if not everyday in commercial construction.
    If you are buying a used model, look over the hydraulics and mechanical's closely.....

Gator 45/70, Merkun, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  17. HK_User

In industry we kept rentals and had on call service. Just a lot to do with insurance companies and contracts. Used are nice if you can find low hour rental units.
    Most are junk and not reliable or advertised in unreal prices as bait to suck you in.
    I have watched the same add(several adds different parts of the country) and they never change so that is suspect.
    Local rental company here has a JLG of the same type I have been dickering with them as it has low hours and they charge for bringing it back dirty so it stays clean.
    I'll be using what ever I buy to paint/pressure wash and maintain the house and barns.
    So better if I keep it on site.

SB21 likes this.
  18. HK_User

We had 6 years of drought but the last 2 years have been unusually wet and warm in the winter.
    I'm a little heavy on calves right now but the Covid backlog and euthanasia by large producers means I did not cull and sell off as most.
    So if the dice roll right I'll be ok come spring time.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  19. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Make sure the safety switches work and the stabilizers don't leak down. Also make sure the ground emergency down valve will work. Other than those items the electrics are pretty straightforward and as long as they aren't a total POS, it should last a lifetime around the house.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and SB21 like this.
  20. HK_User

Did I mention the 1/4 mile levee, rocks, oak trees, mesquite trees, palmetto cactus, 4 miles of fence line and 3 lakes?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7