DIY Percussion Caps for BP firearms with Percussion Cap Nipples.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by chelloveck, Jan 15, 2024.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

DIY Percussion caps.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    duane likes this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

All good ones. Match heads kinda work. Using primers is good, but slow. Best for long term was cap gun caps, but don't know how to make them or store them long term. Cap maker die was very useful tool. Can, it. and caps would be good long term stash. Old time books tell how to make priming powders, all rust heck out of guns and are unstable. Would want to clean gun if shooting black power anyhow so no biggie. Thank you Cheloveck.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

For long term storage of cap gun caps, and Percussion caps, an air tight container with desiccant pads similar to the ones used in pill bottles would probably do the trick. Use cotton wool to help stop the Percussion caps from rattling about.

duane likes this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The cap pouches used in the Civil War had wool lining to prevent the caps rattling. I really need to find a way to make #10 percussion caps for my reproduction 1853 Enfield rifle.

chelloveck and duane like this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

As A kid in the 1940's I fired my great grandfathers civil war rifle with civil war powder, balls and caps, about 80 years old. All worked although caps were corroded and mine balls were white. No special care, stored in a trunk in bedroom so not extreme heat or cold and dry. He had the caps, balls, and powder in the arsenal packing, not soldier issue. If you are going to scrounge, do it big time!;)

While it would be a machining problem, seems like you could reverse engineer the cap making die to what ever you wanted by changing bore and drive pin.

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7