Distance off your cabin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Swedish woman, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Swedish woman

Swedish woman Monkey

What are the distance from out your cabin to the paved street, neigbours and closest town?

Our distance are:

Paved street 26 kilometers
    Neighbours 63 kilometers
    Town 75 kilometers

GOG, Cruisin Sloth, Zimmy and 8 others like this.
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Having been around the Mediterranean Basin countries but not to the Nordic region countries, I was surprised by how sparse the population could be where you are at. I thought I was off the beaten path, but you have me beat greatly. Even @BTPost who is one of our members in Alaska is a remote town person compared to what you have described. I am 1.2 miles off county maintained limerock road. 2.4 miles off asphalt pavement. Now have 6 other families living within .5 miles of me (used to be alone). and, I am 8 miles from nearest town.
    BTW, Welcome to Survival Monkey. I am sure that there is plenty you could share, being that you live so remote. Please teach us a few things you feel we should be aware of. I look forward to your future posts here.

3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Hello Sweden and welcome!

It sounds like you live in peaceful environment! Our closest town is about 10 kilometers from our home. There is nothing much there except a Café and a grocery store but the grocery store just opened last Spring. We have pretty good roads but our road to the house is gravel/dirt.

Do you have mobile phone service?

I assume you are using satellite internet, yes?

What type of wildlife (deer, antelope, elk, bear) do you have around you?

We hope to hear more from you in the future.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Being that far out from the local population sounds like you're living in paradise to me . Would love to see some pics of your area if possible .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Since I live in da middle of da 'hood, all of those numbers are zero.

Just the same, it is a really short drive to Alaska....

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Paved Road that connects to Anywhere else.... 250 Miles
    Nearest Neighbor ..... 3 miles south
    Total Close (100Sq Miles) Neighbors 12 if everyone is Home....
    Town is 60 Miles and three Mountain Ranges away
    Only way In or out is Boat or Bush Plane....

SB21, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

For me, is can be measured in Meters...And counted on one hand....

SB21, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My retreat is probably 15 miles to the nearest big city,Have a few neighbors the one a 1/4 mile south of me is a major concern and locals believe him to be a loon with a room full of guns and ammo.
    I believe hes the type to sneak in at night to take what is yours.
    I have plenty pictures with him and the boy trespassing on private property,Mine included.
    Its only a matter of time before I go after him.

Zimmy, oldawg, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My cabin site is about a mile from a paved road, 15 miles from the nearest town.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I’m in trouble,I live down a 1/2 mile dead end road off a major four lane hiway. There are five houses that either my sister or my sons live in. There is a lot of traffic that come down the road just looking. One guy came down and stopped,and drained his motor oil because he didn’t want to get his clothes dirty.

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Unfortunately:
    Paved street 10 meters
    Neighbours 10 meters (on two sides)
    Town 0 meters
    Farms 200 meters (thankfully)
    Nutcase protestors 30 kilometers
    Where I'm headed >1000 kilometers

We won't be as far from "civilization" than you, but will happily not be as crowded as we are now.

What do you do for a living that far away from others?

12. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Paved street 150m
    Neighbor 5m
    Town 20km

13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Cool. :cool::cool:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Lucky !!!
    .KM here
    Thats Point KM here , can hear chainsaws
    S

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  15. Swedish woman

Swedish woman Monkey

We hava a good mobile phone service it is slow (g3) but on the high hills are the repeaters of it and with an cell phone subscription we have free internet on the cell phone, internet works slow but i connect a tablet via bleutooth with my cellphone it works...

Animal life, lynxes, raccoons moose , reindeers, beavers, otters, brown bears, arctic foxes and much more

16. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Swedish woman,sounds like you are living the good life.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and oldawg like this.
  17. BTPost

Sounds like you live next door to us... Our Cell site is on Hoonah Mtn @3500Ft and 15 miles away across Icy Straights... It takes an External Antenna and Booster Amp to really make it work, here and we got 4G two years ago, but NOT LTE yet... Our issue is the 4G here only has a 3Mbs Bandwidth, due to the limited Microwave Bandwidth between Hoonah Mtn and the Fiberoptic Trunking in Juneau, Alaska... In the summers, every time a Cruise Ship docks in Hoonah to let the Touristoes out to walk around, (5000 Passengers) the Hoonah Mtn CellSite Crashes due to Overload... The Site only has 96 total Channels available, and those 5000 Folks all want to send pictures of their Dream Alaska Vacation, back home, to "Mildred"....

18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Sounds like Paradise to me,,,,:D

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Envious

oldman11 likes this.
  20. BTPost

Took 20 years of look’en and another 30 Years of work’en to get where we are now... We now have our OWN PLACE, with 2 Cabins, Powerhouse, 2 Toolsheds, Garage, backhoe, Sawmill, three 4Wheelers, a Rhino, a Suzuki Samuri, and a Ford Bronco... Plus Comms & Computers coming out our ears...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7