Derecho

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Aug 21, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Did I spell that right?
    The only one I in was when I was at Langley it hit in the middle of the night, it was probably the last time Chesapeake VA had a tornado back around 2009. Which just by pure coincidence was also at the very tail end of a solar minimum...
    I was sound asleep like a bed bug tucked snugly in between Amy shewmers rolls.

It starts out Derecho? ha.
    Few minutes later, I sense a disturbance in the force. Then it goes from nothing to oh shit in about 15 seconds. Then Oh shit hail, nope not hail, tree branches. Panic. Bigger pieces of tress and there goes the neighbors tree and there goes our tree. Some pieces of a house, Really panic.
    It went so bad so fast.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Same time as that derecho was moving through the country we had our own weird storm move through the TX panhandle and western OK. Blew some semis over, blew a train off the track up in OK. Saw some cloud rotation but it never amounted to anything. We were outside trying to pull the aquaponic tent down before the wind sent it to the next county. The wind was insane, and it also came out of nowhere, was nuts for about 15 minutes, then nothing. Lot of people thought it was part of the same system but weatherman said nope, smaller scale storm.

Some of the pics out of Iowa, wow.

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

We don't have Cheerio winds here.

Just Williwaws - different mechanism, same wind speed..

[​IMG]

4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Holloman AFB had a weather instrument set up with a station ever mile in a grid back in the old days. Attempt to see effect of wind etc on low altitude missiles. Got some real weird results that indicate that the standard models were not really correct. Wind bursts of 100 mph, down drafts, sudden changes in wind direction. all kinds of local effects take place. Makes perfect sense to me that you could have a wind speed of 100 mph at your house, or a couple inches of rain, and the "official" records indicate 20 mph and 1/2 of rain 20 miles away.

Cousin lived in Alaska and commented on "local" conditions, blue sky and 20 miles away whiteout conditions, fog in inlet and at 500 feet, 100 mile view to mountains. Said it didn't take too long to get paranoid and being so could help keep you alive.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

This young man is very lucky !
    Great attitude

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Andrew is the one that had me concerned...Friggn house came alive for several hours
    Walls were breathing,Roof was going up and down.
    I was to stupid to evacuate,Somehow I haven't changed much....lol

7. I left P.T. about 13:00. 20 min trip home across town. BIG black cloud bearing down on me. Lost power. came back on the next Saturday at about 19:00. Niece 45 mi away (in Clinton) got power next Thursday. Lots of downed maple trees. One fatality farther west. Lynn co.(Cedar Rapids/Marion) really took a hit.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Check out this Vid
    Connected ??

TinyDreams likes this.
  9. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

we had a "micro-burst" overhead a number of years ago - it's a metrological event just short of a tornado touching down >>> that was 100X worse than what we got on the 10th - but the derecho knocked out power to a cool million homes around the Chicago area - another million thru out the rest of the state - 14 tornados in N IL created by the storm - not much crop damage ....

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

I posted just to have the ALL BRAINS of Monkey think and dot connect , ?

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

We know the military tried to control weather over Vietnam and it was some what successful. They were able to extend the monsoon to flood out the ho chi minh trails for longer.
    It is best to wage war on your enemies with out them even knowing it.

12. Cruisin Sloth

I know when rain is coming a day in advance , the chem trails are hit hard over the pacific, till my solar harvest is cut in half
    Sloth

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If I remember correctly the government was better at making the weather turn rainy than they were at keeping it dry.

TinyDreams likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7