communications

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Marvin L. Steinhagen, May 18, 2020.

1. Does anyone have experience with the MFJ 1699 T/S antennas? They look to be based on (knockoff of) the Outbacker.

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I once bought another brand of the same thing. Don't get your hopes up. They will tune but all of your power is eaten up by the tuner. The VNA showed it to be very, very narrow banded. YMMV.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have a similar base loaded whip antenna mounted on our 2006 White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck with a canopy... I feed it with a Kenwood TS-480SAT 100watt transceiver w/ Builtin Autotuner.... If I get the manual Tapes at least close to resonance, the Antenna works as good as a short loaded vertical whip antenna can... Pictures of our truck are posted somewhere in the Comms forum, that were taken just after installation...

0A8ABA40-A866-4ED0-BBDA-BD1397322392.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  4. I read several reviews, most were rather glowing, one was 180 dg opposite. Guess I'll look at some others.

5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Someone makes one that looks like a spring with a slider. Some of the club guys use those and say they are great. Don't recall the name.
    I run a TS-480SAT as well, but with a Little Tarheel II antenna.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7