Checking Out Your Charitable Giving.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Aug 31, 2019.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Sad to say but there are all types of scams, cheats and just plan self serving scum out there that are not what the say they are. Most of this ilk have not a clue about how easy it is to prove their "works"or lack of such a thing as running a true charity.

As always it starts with simple questions of what they do for your community. Once you get the feeling that something smells then it might be easier than you think to prove your conclusions.

All Charitable Organizations must meet IRS Rules in having such a status. Most are connected with local churches or other benevolent groups that donate or support their work in other ways.

All such groups must be approved and checked on by the IRS with a form 990. The 990 is where you start your search for honest groups.

Later, coffee is not made yet and I am running out of steam.

The Purpose of IRS Form 990. Organizations exempt from income tax nonetheless have to report their activities to the IRS each year. This annual reporting is a requirement created by the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). Annual reporting is done on Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax.Jun 25, 2019

Just how do you check out and collect information?

990s become public information and are collected by Pay For Service as well as other non pay entities.

Along with that you will need to check the status of local groups as to their standing in your County.

This is best completed by spending a few bucks ($49 or so) for a down load that covers the 990s s well as IF they are actually a certified .org.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man, I just went to a catfish benefit lunch for BIL with prostate cancer......No-one there gives 2 flips about reporting diddle squat !

3. That is the way to go. Most big charities get corrupted and the money just ends up benefiting bureaucrats, locally, the small charities aren't much better.

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  5. HK_User

A local benefit is usually a short term event and is not usually a 990 Charitable Organization.
    In a 990 Charitable Organization all workers are 100%> NOT PAID.

Seepalaces and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. HK_User

Large or small you need to define if it is a 990 In a 990 Charitable Organization all workers are 100%> NOT PAID.
    That is the reason to check each county to see how they are listed and if they fail to report a 990 then you can be assured they are wide open for graft and greed.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. HK_User

This is an example of a fairly new TRUST.
    This trust was required due to a change in US Laws and the need (By the Gov.) to divide out political and non political groups. In this case the National DAV has to be political to secure some of the changes such as the Blue Water Sailor Act and the DAV Chapters in your local Counties have been affected by this law change .
    The Chapters cannot be involved in political activities in any way.

Until now the Local Chapters were grouped with the National DAV no matter that the National DAV forbids them to become embroiled in political activities.

With the above Trust in place then the Chapter can perform on Grants, the money is sent to the Trust and distributed to the Chapter that ask for the grant. Again all reported on the 990.

Human Services : Social Services (Grantmaking)

DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Charitable Service Trust
    Empowering veterans to lead high-quality lives with respect and dignity

[​IMG]
    Impact Information is available from our partner, GuideStar

Score
    (out of 100)
    Rating
    Overall Score & Rating
    Financial 88.71
    Accountability & Transparency 100.00

This rating was published 05/01/2019 and includes data from FY2017, the most recent 990 received at that time.
    Why isn't this based on more recent data?
    Back to Top ▲
    Mission
    The DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Charitable Service Trust supports physical and psychological rehabilitation programs that provide direct service to ill, injured, or wounded veterans. Programs supported by the Trust target several groups of physically and psychologically injured veterans. Programs supported by the Trust typically include: providing food, shelter and other necessary items to homeless or at-risk veterans; accessibility or mobility items for veterans with vision or hearing impairments; therapeutic activities; physical and psychological activities for rehabilitation; and other forms of direct service for veterans and their families.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. HK_User

As an example the statement below come from all Chapters yearly Audit from 990 forms.

"How much of DAV donation goes to veterans?
    Yes, the DAV is a tax-exempt organization, and all contributions are tax-deductible according to IRS regulations. How much of my donation goes to help disabled veterans? 85¢ of every dollar spent in 2018 went to program services for disabled veterans and their families."

The 85% is excellent as Volunteers are not paid and the 15% reported as not spent for Vets is accounted for in such things as travel and lodging spent by the Chapters for Official meetings, Money spent for Rent, Utilities and actual amounts as shown on the 990.

An example is a State training session, in this it can cost in the neighborhood $1000 to attend a 3 day training session. Volunteer's trips must be voted on by cheaper members at a Chapter Meeting and the Member can request this reimbursement from their Chapter but only after they return with full valid expense account. All request are checked by the Chapter Treasury and a CHECK is issued which requires two authorized Chapter Officers as signers. This all per the DAV Bylaws.

A volunteer is allowed to claim a lower amount for Charitable Travel i.e taking a Vet for Medical Care. In this the Federal Travel Mileage is only the actual cost or a reduced mileage rate of something like .11 a mile.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I simply do not give to any charities or NGOs - well - I say that but admit I still do have a soft spot for the vets. It's pretty hard for me to pass by an old-timer with his 101st Screaming Chicken hat on and not drop something in the plate but normally I don't give to any of the others.

I think my bias started years ago when the International Red Cross was making rude remarks about Americans and solidified when I saw first-hand how some of these charities live and operate overseas. No, thank you. I will give directly to an individual but never to an organization.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  10. HK_User

Understood!
    For myself I spent 3 years as a Ride along until I was sure of the purpose and trust I should give as a DAV Member. I have slowly become aware of the By Laws and the Purpose of the DAV.

But by spending long hours untangling a hand written Chapter Audit and put it in order on Quick Books and develop a P&L for a independent accountant doing our 990 did sort out any of my doubts on where the money goes.

Soon we will be upgrading an older Vets home and with Cement Ramp and a multitude of Safety bars and repairs we will spend in the area of $3000.00.

That's a lot of donations to collect.

As well that kind of donation, work and money would never be handed to a vet panhandling on their own.

I'll be there to make sure it is spent correctly and accounted for.

We'll be around to help that old vet "an old-timer with his 101st Screaming Chicken hat" when they can no longer walk, drive or attend meetings.

BTW, lately we have completed claims for 4 widows as well as female vets in a quantity never seen in this area.

Motomom34, Bandit99 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

LOL, The old country Pentecostal will open up a can of tongues,Start wailing and screaming while flopping around in the aisles before they worry about reporting diddle squat,Same group that teaches gun safety in school...If you ain't from there chances are you will never truly be accepted.....as is most small communities in Louisiana.

chelloveck and HK_User like this.
  12. HK_User

Ever been to the Missouri Ozarks full of hard working Farmers?
    Or the Old time Brotherhood Religious Group in Indiana and Illinois?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

No, We have Mennonites here also,Very independent group also and keep's to themselves,Hard working people too !

HK_User likes this.
  14. HK_User

Lots of Mennonites in the same area.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I am in the habit of donating to small local charities, or large organizations with a substantial local footprint.

This way, I don't have to do any research or look anything up. I can see the results for myself in the community. For example, I give to a local food bank. When I drive past the place there are many, many people in need picking up their groceries. There are trucks bringing in new donations. They supply soup kitchens and church pantries. The place is a flurry of activity. I can see the good they are doing with my own two eyes.

My employer pushes us to give to United Way. I won't go near that. I'm sure they do a lot of good but no one really knows for sure what happens to the money. Why not just skip the middle man and give directly to the charity of your choice?

mysterymet, Gator 45/70 and Merkun like this.
  16. HK_User

Pretty simple, if you are happy with your view then go for it.
    If you want to know who receives money from the local United Way simply ask them. They have a list of those folks (UW calls them partners) and even the amounts are open!

A not so recent change is that you can select who gets your local contribution.
    The same with a certain Tax Preparation Co.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

That's always puzzled me. So I gave direct instead of sending it off for the beak wetting.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I do not give donations to religious charities....especially if they have links to religions which protect and defend kiddy fiddlers. Congregants can stump up the money for child sexual abuse legal defence expenses, and compensation payouts....and churches can sell off church property to meet the costs of meeting the penalties of their criminal enterprises.

Sydney archdiocese runs ads seeking donations for Cardinal George Pell's legal fees

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. HK_User

If it works for you then enjoy.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Waydah

Waydah Monkey

I'm not inclined to spend $49 to check out some "charity". Simply not interested. I give to the local Salvation Army, as I explained in another thread. We donate to organizations like "God's Pit Crew" for immediate hurricane and flood relief efforts after those type event occur and relief supplies are critical. I donate to my local volunteer fire and EMS. The remainder, especially those national and international organizations can pound sand.
    Keep in mind that not only can supposedly charitable organizations be less than genuine, but recipients of charitable giving can be as well. Food banks are a good example. I know kind-hearted people who volunteer at local food banks and kitchens and the stories they tell of the rip-off artists who abuse the food banks is enough to sour anyone's notion that those really in need are the largest beneficiaries. People quickly learn to work the system. I worked at a location that has a food kitchen next door. They served a hot meal each day for lunch. Year in and year out the same people showed up to get their free meal. (Many drove, parked up the street, and went in to eat). "Customers" began showing up around 10AM and sat outside having a real social get together with their iPhones and expensive basketball shoes until the meal was ready.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7