Capacitor question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TnAndy, Oct 21, 2021.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

For those of you with more knowledge than me about such things.

I have a small fan motor that quit. Fractional hp fan used to inflate greenhouse plastic layers. Once started, it runs 24/7/365. I'd like to try a new start capacitor to see if that will get it running again. It's a CBB61, 1.2uF, 370v. I found a somewhat similar looking one on Amazon for ceiling fans, but it is 4uF. Would that make any difference ?

Thanks

2. Try Surplus sales of Nebraska or All Electronics.

SB21 likes this.
  3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Risk there is burning the stator windings.

4. Esar145a

Esar145a New, but not very fresh...

If you put two In series you will have 2ufd and will probably be close enough. Measure current and see if it is within it's rated value. If so all is good. Still it's always best to keep to original value whenever possible.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

You might want to check and see if your fan has a start switch. Often they will fail and then the motor is never in the start function as it is a small centrifugal switch which can be dirty.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Dunerunner likes this.
  6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

So happens I replaced my first capacitor in a ceiling fan today. Not feeling proud but embarrassed about all the fans I threw away over the years.

HK_User likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Amazon has 'em: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08764Z2WY/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Six bux for two. 450V is an improvement over 370v

upload_2021-10-21_19-23-21.

TnAndy, Cruisin Sloth and HK_User like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

uF is important to match , higher voltage is nothing to worry about , lower yes.
    Good find @3M-TA3

Esar145a likes this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You can test them on your tongue to see if their sill good, if your tongue explodes, it's still good! [raspberry]

Thunder5Ranch and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

AC start capacitor's are not DC condensers
    They do bleed ac through the winding, but they can hold a punch for a very small time.
    I do remember leaving the odd condenser on the bench

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have swapped capacitor sizes in an induction motor. But I was trying to lower start/run amps and increase power factor.
    Maybe try any approximately 1uf capacitor with a voltage rating of at least 370v or higher.

12. Esar145a

Esar145a New, but not very fresh...

Exactly right!

My throw away Harbor Freight Gator generator failed and after troubleshooting replaced the capacitor with a new higher voltage rating. Working better than ever....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7