Mosby Campfire Chats–5AUG2024

Discussion in '3 Percent' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 17, 2024.

1. survivalmonkey

survivalmonkey Monkey+++

You had approximately the same class schedule in 2023 and ‘24. Is that schedule likely to remain about the same in the future, or were these years atypical?

I would imagine it will be pretty similar. There may be potential for more classes next year, but at a minimum, it’ll be similar.

—————————————————-

Thank you for sharing your experience with raising kids outdoors! I’m starting from the ground up with my siblings who just moved to town, and the 9yo is pretty excited so far!

The key, I think, is to remember that we’re not raising kids. We’re raising future adults. If we coddle and protect them too much, they never learn self-reliance and decision-making. I give my kids a LOT of rope to hang themselves with, even when we’re outdoors doing shit in the backcountry.

——————————————————

A nice old time recipe for herbswurst can be found on youtube, look for the War Kitchen Volume II: Bread and Iron. I like old recipes and examples of what field rations were in the old days, and this recipe I can vouch for being both long lasting shelf stable, easy to cook in the field, and energy/nutrient dense. Is essentially a split pea soup with bacon, but in a format more energy dense and faster to cook. Much better than the hard tack I made (use no salt or sugar, which attracts moisture) that despite soaking in soup, coffee, river water, saliva, etc still tastes tragically bland and without soaking can deflect light antitank weapons. Maybe not tragically bland…the real tragedy would be starving…but if I have to march to war for a few days patrol, I’d rather bring a small loaf of whole wheat sourdough bread, which has similar nutrient profile (better actually) and keeps well for days (as opposed to years) and goes down much easier.

I always forget about that channel on YT, even though I’ve watched a lot of their videos, and was going to try a few of the recipes. Thanks for the reminder!

Tip on the hardtack: salt does absorb moisture, but so does flour. The salt in hardtack actually helps as a preservative, and the more salt you add, the more flavor it will have. You can also add seasoning and stuff, unless you’re a historical reenactor. Dried herbs and stuff won’t hurt the hardtack at all.

Read more at:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/campf...paign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link

Continue reading...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7