Mosby Campfire Chats–16DEC2-23

Discussion in '3 Percent' started by survivalmonkey, Dec 30, 2023.

1. survivalmonkey

survivalmonkey Monkey+++

https://www.patreon.com/posts/campf...paign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link
    I’ve seen some online tutorials say you should cross the PVC pipe to assist with turning. Have you tried that?
    I’ve never tried it. If we ever get enough snow this winter, to use the akhios, I’ll try it out and see how it works. So far, snowfall has been minimal enough, and temperatures warm enough to melt most of it, that I could ride all the way over the top of the mountains on horseback with no problem.
    —————————————–
    Good post. I know it’s peripheral to the theme, but for most people an infatuation with timber framing is a major obstacle to getting shit done. Stick is many times faster than timber and has a much easier learning curve. Stick-framed cavity insulation provides decent thermal characteristics, with an easy option for excellent thermal via continuous exterior insulation. Vented rainscreens cladding in stick-built is extraordinarily durable. Timber has no cavity and attaching sips to timber is a pain in the ass. If you don’t believe me, check out any week-long timber class graduation pic. Invariably it’s 12 people standing around a small timber shed that would have been a stick-framing day project for one guy with a nailer and circ saw. Newbies should avoid being a hard way hero and adopt stick built.
    You’re not wrong, entirely, but you are wrong.
    To be sure, stick framing goes up faster. No argument. That’s why it’s used. It also has a much less steep learning curve than timber framing does (especially if we’re talking actual timberframing, versus post-and-beam with metal fixtures and fasteners).
    Here’s the catch though…

Continue reading...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7