Mosby Campfire Chat

Discussion in '3 Percent' started by survivalmonkey, Dec 30, 2019.

1. survivalmonkey

survivalmonkey Monkey+++

The Patreon address, because a number of people have asked, is Patreon.com/Mountainguerrillablog

While I’ve been remiss in posting here, they’ve been getting their posts weekly…and with well over 500 paying subscribers, I must be doing okay with my content over there….
    ————————————–

You’ve already sold me on the performance of the AR over the AK, but which is the better option in terms of sustainability or logistics in the face of a tough times scenario with limited future access to spare parts or professional gunsmithing? In other words, which one is best from the auxiliary team’s perspective?

Is the US military carrying AKs? Are there any law enforcement agencies in the US carrying AKs?

——————————–

What are your thoughts on exterior lighting for security in a grid up situation? Is it safer for the property to be dark, or is perimeter lighting advisable?

Depends.

If everyone around you is lit, but yours is dark…you stand out and the place may look either deserted/abandoned, or just ripe for the picking because of easy hidden approach routes. On the other hand, our exterior is dark. You can’t see our place from the road, even if you come up the county road, and exterior lights would just make it noticeable. Second, you’re not sneaking on to our place without the dogs alerting. I can choose to respond by stepping outside with white light…or with NVG (and I usually respond with NVG, so if it’s something like a skunk or a raccoon in the feed bins, I can see them before they run off because of the white light…that means, even if it ends up being a person, unless they’ve got NVG too, I’ve got a distinct advantage.

If I lived in town, or in the ‘burbs, I’d be lit up like a Max Security Prison though. I’d probably be getting nagged by city council to reduce the lighting…

———————————-

I have been ruminating on the ‘when shtf’ article from last week. I have used the two burner Colemans (propane ones), but they seemed mostly good for warming up canned food or making coffee. Tough to cook on for groups since the burners are so close together. And you can’t bake on a stove. Have you given any thought to dutch ovens, or even a wood fired outdoor oven?

To be sure, propane and butane camp stoves suck giant horse penises! When I’m talking about the Coleman stoves, I’m talking about the White Gas versions.

I’ve got several cast iron dutch ovens, and love them, and they get used several times a year for skill maintenance. Definitely part of the tool chest. We are going to build an outdoor earth oven, but it hasn’t happened yet.

————————————

What is your target set up for pistol practice? Paper targets stapled to cardboard mounted to wood frames? Steel?

Both. I typically use IPSC/IDPA silhouettes for pistol work, but a lot of the time, I’ll spray glue an index card to them to reduce the A-Zone. At 10yards and out, I use steel a lot. I actually just replaced all the steel on our range, and we are now shooting nothing larger than an IPSC A-Zone, all the way out to 200 yards…So, with pistol work at 25/50/100 yards, it just got a lot more challenging than when we were shooting 1/3 silhouette steel….

Continue reading...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7