California... to mandate... newly constructed homes include solar panels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, May 7, 2018.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

(Sorry for the ellipsis, trying to make subject easy to understand)

California is expected next week to mandate that most newly constructed homes include solar panels starting in 2020.

California expected to mandate solar panels for new homes This is one of dozens of stores on the web...

Not forced by political weenies trying to buy greenie votes with people's money - but forced by non-elected Regulators..
    "The California Energy Commission will vote on the new solar energy standard Wednesday, Southern California News Group reported."

So - Q to the hive mind:
    Iis it really preparedness if being forced?

No comments needed on the People's Free Democratic Republic of California, I get that that they are alost cause.

Is this a good thing for the people? Unknown if synchronous inverters mandated or if this is part of stand-alone systems...

Also Unknown just who will collect the kick-backs....

Altoidfishfins and HK_User like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

TESLA

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's a good thing, but shouldn't be forced. Encourage, educate, rebate & incentivize, but do not force.

Bandit99, Dunerunner and sarawolf like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

This corner of the hive says forcing is not right. Persuasion, if it works, is fine IF the persuadee can afford the inevitable cost. At this point, solar is serving poorly as a preparation.

OK, put on your tinfoil hats-
    Moonbeam has figured out that making everything cost more will drive potential californiacs away, thus reduce the demands on his overloaded social systems. As the financial burden can no longer be carried by a lot of his constituents, not a few of them will leave the state, thus reducing his tax based income. Brilliant, now all he needs to do is raise the taxes on those that remain, give himself a raise and retire to one of those (now cheap) solar houses.

Bandit99 and Lancer like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

No consideration as to whether your new home is positioned to make adding solar beneficial? Whether there is sufficient cost to benefit? What ever happened to Government not requiring you to buy a product you don't want or cannot afford? Freedom is truly dead....

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Cruisin Sloth and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Maybe. You can still know nothing about it and pay someone to maintain it and be just as SOL when the grid collapses with solar as without.

Maybe...actually no. People will have one more thing they know nothing about that they will likely pay through the nose for the support of rather than learn to do so on their own. It obviously has the potential to be a "net benefit" but forcing someone to do something, especially for an additional cost, is never good and never ends well. I assume you meant Sine inverters (pure sine vs modified sine) and given that the Government in that state f***ed up the GAS CAN, no, it probably isn't. The exception would be if the law was written, lock stock and barrel, by the industry...in that case, maybe it is included.

People are involved, there will be kick-backs, and rest assured that it won't be the average Joe citizen.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Here goes another .gov mandated law pushed on the consumer and benefiting .gov while the consumer pays for it. How long will it take to track the kickbacks for this , and to who ?

Cruisin Sloth and Bandit99 like this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Bah! Who cares what California does anymore...if the people there are so weak that they allow their elected officials and now their 'Commissions' to get away with it - well - who cares?

As others here stated, it is not the fact that solar panels are a bad thing, they're a good thing, but having them forced upon you is wrong.

Cruisin Sloth and SB21 like this.
  9. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

It's my state and even I don't care. but don't forget, the state is so heavily weighted towards the left that 40% of us have no vote.We vote in June and I guarantee that everything I/my wife/our friends, vote for will fail...... This is truly 'taxation without representation'....
    Leaving is not always easy....family/kids/parents/jobs/etc...

10. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Like healthcare?

Anyhow, I concur with those that feel that mandated solar (or whatever other product or service you may choose) is not just wrong, it's unconstitutional and un-American.

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I fear that this is happening in to many places across our country , and we may be to far gone to change it. BUT,,,,,if it is to be changed,,,,it may be up to us ,,,,US,,,,the ones that are damned near to old to give a shit. Don't get me wrong,,,,I care,,,, but would our efforts be wasted on a generation that would reject our efforts either way ????

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Solar on a house that is GRID -TIED is dependent on the grid power for it to work , If the Grid go's down so does the harvest & back supplying ! For the system to be made that if the Grid go's down & it is to switch over and keep supplying the said one solar house , that system will be twice to 2.5 times more to install & also higher maintenance to be done !!

JFI

This force is to reduce the power that the state supply's & keep the wiring infrastructure down , less upgrading due to wire size of runs etc.

JUST remember IF your forced to do this , Pick your ROOF to last 50years Minimum time . Drop the cheap covers !!

Sloth

3M-TA3 and Bandit99 like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The mandate is on new construction, it has no effect on standing construction .
    IMO photovoltaic solar has been around over 100 years. It is something that should have gotten started long ago.
    Secondly it will out live most roofing on many homes currently existing. Some of my working panels are over 50 years old .made by ARCO
    My own solar is not on my home but on my shop trailer along with a wind mill and I am not grid tied with it, but the fact I have solar is being recognized .
    Most all counties have building codes here in California , and they attempt to insure that it remains safe for potentially several buyers down the road .
    I have been in homes in other parts of the country that frankly are no more than a holly wood back drop . 3/8" ply wood floors on stringers with 2 foot centers, this on a second story building.
    Places with no building codes do not care about public safety. Who bares the responsibility if some one is hurt ?
    Types of wire and it's routing are code defined and its for your own safety .
    Power issues will continue to escalate ,and personally I'd much rather see more solar than another nuclear power plant . Or tell you what we build another nuclear power plant next to your house ?
    Nothing can stop you from putting in a battery system on this new construction .
    Isolation switching is not rocket science ,
    I guess it is terribly inconvenient to learn something about one's use of energy .

14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I agree. It truly is 'taxation without representation' and even though we have heard the movement to split California I sincerely doubt if that will be allowed. I wish for you and your family benefit it would and, for what it is worth, I think more and more of us are seeing and feeling this 'taxation without representation' throughout the country while our non-representing representatives do nothing but give 'double-speak' to pacify the masses. California just leads the pack on this due to its huge economy. I am constantly asking myself what of value do I get in return for all the taxes I pay. I can at least see where my State tax benefits me but see very little of value from Federal which, of course, takes the largest slice. I do see wastage, mismanagement, and the majority of my money spent worldwide in ways I disapprove and benefits me not. It would behoove the entire country if the 40% in California did finally rise up and demand representation or be allowed to split off. Gosh, I wish that would happen because the signal would be too clear to be ignored but...they will not allow it. They. Our ruling elites.

As far as leaving the state... I think all understand that while in theory it may sound very simple but in practice, in reality it can be near impossible for some, probably the majority of those 40%.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7