Building Another Fuel tank Grill/Smoker and.........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunder5Ranch, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

IT NEVER FAILS. I grind everything baby butt smooth feel. look and grind it beyond baby butt smooth....... And then the first time I stick my arm in and rub the edge.......... I find the dozen damn burrs that my fingers and eyes said were not there! And pull my arm out all chewed up lookin and bloody LOL.

DSC01788.JPG

Should be a pretty nice grill when I am done with it though. 3' wide and 6' long down the middle. Pic is before I ground everything arm shredding baby butt smooth :)

DSC01785.JPG

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Bend up the feet on one end and it looks like Bob Sled...

3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Owww!

Pretty good looking grill, worth the blood and sweat.

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Pre seasoning with a little long pork sauce ?

5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Quest fer parts today that I didn't have in the iron pile. Twin 2" Black Pipe Smoke Stacks. DSC01789.JPG

Thought finding the diamond grate would be hard to find locally then remembered the trailer dealership I use also builds custom trailers with diamond Mesh steel floors and can get all I want from their shop at their cost.
    DSC01794.JPG

Of course their cost is still not cheap :)
    DSC01795.JPG

Dual Cast iron 6" with dampers smoke stacks making it a quad stack Smoker. Give me a very wide range of airflow and circulation options in the chamber. Did this on another tank smoker I built and loved the way it worked.
    DSC01790.JPG
    DSC01791.JPG

Putting Cast Iron Swing doors on both ends for loading and feeding the wood. Also just going to use them for the air intake. I figure it is easier to crack the door for air flow than the screw with putting a slide or swivel air intake control in. Should be able to get more than enough draft action to make oak or hickory turn the whole thing cherry red if I wanted to :) Or seal it up for a cold smoke session.
    DSC01792.JPG
    Going to make the flanges on the inside from black stove pipe. I have about 20 sections of 8" I will never use for anything else and its easy enough to bend to fit the curves.

And since we don't get enough snow fer bob sledding here BT I bought 4 casters to put on the rails and am going to put the drawbar on it and the harness on a hog and have the hog pull me around the farm with me sitting in it :)

And looking at that last picture I now know why my water pressure seemed low when I was watering the plants this evening LOL.

6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I see they aren't bolted up yet, but I'd really turn the dampers at least 90 degrees so I wouldn't have to walk around the back to adjust 'em.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Expanded steel mesh is never cheap

looks like it's comin along nicely

Gator 45/70 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm not knocking your design,,, I'm sure you know what you're doing,, but the last one I built ,, I put the firebox on one end and ran an 8 inch pipe inside the barrel from end to end so the heat would distribute equally inside the barrel,,, that way I had a damper between the fire box and the barrel to regulate the heat inside the barrel,,, just a question,, do you not have a problem regulating heat inside the barrel that way ??

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Won't put the firebox on until winter. Not enough time in my world to weld it together and then brace, bolt and weld it onto the smoker right now. Clock is ticking to get everything ready for the Big Show and I have 28 Days left before set up and 1,999,809 other things to get done between now and then.

That being said I may never put a fire box on it since it is going to be as much of a open grill as it is a smoker. But the 4 stacks and two swing doors is how you regulate the internal temp. Fire on one end with one door open and stacks opposite side stack open and all 3 others closed say left to right circulates the heat counter clock wise using just the draft. Close the doors and close the 6" dampers and open the 2" stacks and let air in through the fire side door and you get a more even smoking heat. It will have 4 thermometers on it so I will have a real good idea of what the heat is doing inside and adjust fire size, air flow and circulation as needed.

If I add the fire box that is a entirely different critter and I would weld in some plates and baffles for better heat distribution in a offset set up. But test burn on it today I had no problem maintaining 150, 250, 400, and 800 degrees fairly evenly and with a hot burn fire ran it up to 1700 degrees internally basically to burn out any fuel residue. For smoking in this one the fire or fires are on the ends right now. For open grilling the fire is on a 30" wide 68" suspended grate that can be raised and lowered. Raises and lowers just like a old well crank, only the bar is steel, and its 6 cables attached to the corners and sides of the fire grate. The grate when lowered does create some baffle action to disperse the heat more evenly for smoking with the end fires. Think I am explaining this so you will have a good idea of how it works.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Nuff said ,, yes sir,, you are one of the busiest guys I know. But yes sir,, I got your concept. I didn't mean to be implying you didn't know what you were doing. (y)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Noo I didn't take it that way at all. Just trying to explain the difference and the function of two doors and 4 smoke stacks. More of a South/Central American style set up than what is much more common in the USA.

LOL Basically building this with a lid :) ANd the Fire moves up down in a 20 inch range instead of the grill top moving up and down :)
    4a313e158ae1731c62cf98eb97e1336f.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

And the smoker trailer has arrived! Last part I need for the Mobile Smoker/grill build. 52" wide and 10' long. Ended up getting it for $250. A few crunches in the rails but nothing I can't heat up and hammer back to straight. And we now know that it can travel at 80mph on the Country Back Roads :)

Oh and look in the background, the stand the fuel tank came off of :) That shelf on it is going to have the mesh for the fire grate on it and inside the smoker/grill. The angle iron is going inside to hold the Expanded steel cook surface. Yep love me some old iron :)

DSC01801.JPG

Gator 45/70, oldawg and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7