Black powder metallic cartridges

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gunbunny, Sep 27, 2008.

1. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I just got done loading a box of 38 Special 158gr Lead RN propelled by .7cc of 3F black powder. I've never tried this particular combination before, but thought it would be fun and educational to try.

I researched black powder metallic cartridge reloading and found a wealth of information from the cowboy action shooting community. I'm going to try 30-30 next.

I'd chrony the results, but unfortunetly I shot my chrony's sky screen and have to get some replacement parts. Note to self: don't move your shooting position in the middle of a string of shots!

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Only thing I don't like about shooting BP is all the cleaning. I watched some BP rounds out of a semi-auto shotgun the other night. The action was spitting unburned powder out as the shell ejected, sort of a fire hazard off to the side LOL...the action would cycle enough to eject the shell but wouldn't travel back far enough to chamber the next round; completely quit ejecting after three or four shots. Can't see where there would be any problem with a pump-gun though.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Love the smell of BP. I've squirted a few #6 British loads out of my SxS to the great amusement of the guys shooting that round with me. (Except the guy downwind --)

Cleaning isn't too bad, fill the bathtub with hot (REALLY hot) water, pump a swab in and out (as long as your arm holds up) scrub 'er out, let 'er dry and oil hell out of 'er.

4. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Freaken rained ALL weekend. I'll have to try it next week.

5. andy

andy Monkey+++

i love black powder. just wish i time to get out and burn some more... though i never actully "hit" anything with them *gasp!* i only use them while reenacting and i don't really want to k!ll yankies

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7