Binoculers and optics

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Oddcaliber, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Having the ability to see things at distance is a great tactical advantage. This is where good binoculars come in handy. Spotting game or observation of people around your AO can make a difference in your decision making. I have 6 pares of binoculars that I got cheap. Quality glass and even some vintage models. So,what are you looking through? BTW,I did use the search function!

Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Oddcaliber likes this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've got some ancient Bushnell's at the house and a newer pair in the car, but given a choice I'd rather identify things further out.
    My Kowa TSN-821M with a 20-60x lens lets me keep an eye on things that are waaaaay out there.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nut-N-Fancy, here Nikon Aculon

ochit and Oddcaliber like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have expensive taste, but usually only spend beer money, except once! I run a pair if 8x50 Steiner mariners most of the time, whether it's flying and spotting game or my landing spot ( your going in where?!?!?!) I also have a pair of the old Mil Mirato M-21 8x56 that are simply amazing. Others I have, a folding pair of Mirato "Opera" Binos, approx 6x25 and they are super small, light, and sharp. Dad has a twin to these from Zeiss, yo7 couldn't beat them for quality for years and years, I think his were made before WW-2. And lastly, I have a serious pair of El-Cheap-O Nikon 12X24x56 variables I use, they have to be rested to be able to see well, the glass is nice and clear, and the focus and zoom function flawless, best $75 bucks I have spent! I use them for long range spotting, especially when I was fighting fires, they were cheap enough so that if something happened to them, I would t have cared! For a good and reasonable Binos, Nikon or Leupold are great, if you don' mind used, factory reconditioned any of the good high end Japanese or European glass would be well worth it! You can usually find them for about half, and they will come with a good warranty! That's how I got my Steiners!

ochit, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have several pairs of binoc's, cheap and expensive, and low light TV camera for half as*** night surveillance, works ok, but IR lights it uses can be seen for miles by other IR units. I went for a ride on police chopper, can't afford them, but the heat sensing unit they had ruled the night. We flew over a wooded area and the ground based members of the team and the deer lite up like beacons. If I was seriously determined to survive TEOCAWKI, etc, I think you would have to have a good sniper rifle with a good spotting scope for a spotter, decent binoc's for terrain security, and night vision for threat surveillance and heat sensing for targeting. The cost of buying that would be in the many thousands, neighbor worked for Raython and they made a military target designater that was about $60 thousand or so. Then you have batteries, spares, calibration, etc

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I agree on the great difference between inexpensive and top-end binoculars. I had a regular customer come in a few years ago to have his hunting truck fixed. On his dash, among tobacco pouches and old chewing gum packs was a dusty pair of binoculars, casually tossed up there like the rest of the junk. I picked them up and had a peek at a building about 1000 yards away. I was shocked with the crispness, the clarity and the sharp colors. I dusted off the label...

Swarovski.

8. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Certain tools need to be quality especially optics good glass is ground & polished edge to edge giving superior light transmission and clarity even in moonlight. serious hunters pay more for their scope, bases and rings than rifle then pop for equality binocs.

One bit of advice name is not synonymous with quality, some have entry level quality models made out of country with less durable parts or less effective glass coatings and not carry an equal warranty so buyer beware

Oddcaliber, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

For the last 20yrs it has been a pair of these....

M830r 8x30r

...they have been all around the world with me and I remain more than happy with them.

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I got 2 expensive sets, a Leupold and a Vortex, both are 8x42 if I remember correctly. The Vortex set gives the best for light and clarity. I got a small set in the bugout bag, which are Bushnell, not great but do the job. Come to think of it...I haven't seen the vortex binos around lately. One must be careful around here as things have a tenacity to grow legs and walk away on their own.

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

A mate has a set of Vortex 15x binos he leaves on the verandah of the hut we often hunt from, many hours have been spent passing these around as we take turns to glass the hills around us. Buggered if I would carry the damn things up a hill though... !

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7