Big Wheel Moto!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ura-Ki, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Been rethinking my Duel Sport/Enduro bike, I'm not using it as a Duel Sport, mostly off road, and after playing with my neighbors grand son who has a Honda Fat-Cat and his old man has a Yamaha TT-220 like all the coastal towns and cities have for their police, I decided to convert my ATK 604 over to a Fat Tire bike, and it turns out there is a company that does this very thing, though SUPER expensive, I can make my own version, I have the tools, skills, and access to used parts, so what could go wrong! LOL

The way I figure it, any good idea is worth stealing, as long as i'm not selling it or making a profit by selling parts, we should be fine! I wondered how they got the chain drive from the engine to the rear tire, Jack Shaft,, DUHHHH, problem solved! My only issue is with the ATK, it's not only a right side drive, but dosn't have the rear brake on the wheel, it's on the drive sprocket shaft, so I'm going to have to figure that out! Also, ATK are known for their Auto Chain Tension system, which is how they got their name!, and I will need to see if I can make that work still with the new parts and conversion!

Gator 45/70, Kamp Krap, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Looks like a fun project,,

Kamp Krap and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You know, I kind of like the idea of a Fat Tire motorcycle. It will be interesting to see how much weight fat tires/fat rims, to include whatever else it will take to make the transition, adds to the bike. Google says your ATK 604 is currently about 285 lbs. For me, I would want an Enduro version, as the fat tires would be nice on the pavement and give more traction on the dirt roads, but I'd still have the ability to hop curbs or logging trails, probably not cross-country but that's okay. I wonder if they make one, I doubt it... looking now.

EDIT: Doesn't look like there is a Fat Cat type enduro motorcycle in production. Wonder why, no market? You might be onto something here Ura-ki because I think the idea is great! Maybe it's too niche a market for the majors but...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Found a bunch of used parts on Fleabay, so I purchased and hope to make it all fit! LOL
    Found the hardest parts, a set of Triple Clamps from a Honda 3 wheeler, in fact,, I bought the whole front end from the guy, don't know if my forks will fit the new setup, so I am hedging here. I also bought a couple of front rims with brakes, they are three piece and if I got it right, I might be able to adapt one to run on the rear, only needing to swap one hub side to get a sprocket to fit. Need to wait till I have the rims to measure for tires, then it's off to the races choosing the best tires to play with! I still need to build the rear swing axle and jack shaft, I got everything I need ( I think) so I just need to start getting exact measurements and start cutting and welding! I'm getting really excited to see how this thing rides, if it's at least as good as the neighbors Fat-Cat, I will be super happy!

SB21, 3cyl, Tempstar and 2 others like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Make sure you show pictures during the build ,

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7