Best Place To Be, Geographically, When SHTF

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ByAnyMeansNecessary, Aug 9, 2023.

1. ByAnyMeansNecessary

ByAnyMeansNecessary Modern Day Renaissance Man

This may have been discussed before and I missed it, if so I apologize.

If SHTF tomorrow and you could push a button and be anywhere in the US you wanted to be, along with everything you needed, where would you choose to be?

I'm talking about considering things such as:

Climate
    Natural Resources
    Isolation From/Proximity To Possible Population Hubs
    Etc.

Yard Dart, Zimmy and CraftyMofo like this.
  2. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

Right here.

I grew up farming in a drought-prone region. then, after a 20-year career in the Navy working with nuclear weapons targeting, after I retired, I returned stateside, I immigrated to Maine, I bought 150-acres of forest and I built a house and farm.

This region is drought-free.

This region has a thriving sub-culture of off-grid self-sufficient homesteaders that I have been able to blend in amongst.

beemerphill, Yard Dart, Zimmy and 6 others like this.
  3. ByAnyMeansNecessary

ByAnyMeansNecessary Modern Day Renaissance Man

That's pretty awesome.

I hope to be in the same position when I retire, kinda the reason I asked the question.

I know most likeminded people on this forum are probably tied geographically to a location, either by employment or family. And that place may not be their ideal location.

Zimmy, CraftyMofo and SB21 like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm here in the high mountains of central Colorado on my ranch, let them come and get me, 9400 feet above sea level is where I rest my head, not too many people can take that altitude, let alone function effectively for any length of time, or any physical exertion, nobody is going to come here! I have a year round stream that powers a ghrist mill and generator so I can flip the switch and be just fine! It's all ranches up here, including ours, so food ain't gonna be an issue, plus, there are all sorts of game animals around here, and we all have gardens and orchards, so again, no issues with food! There are only three pass's to get up here, ALL have several choke points so it's easy to block them up solid and keep people out, you ether have to hike in, fly in, or a couple of serious Jeep trails which we all know about, so again, nobody is getting here with out an invite!

5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

IT HAS , WAKE UP

Zimmy, Ura-Ki and CraftyMofo like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Troof!
    Been like this 30+ years!
    The first Chinese we allowed in so they could attend "University" was when it started, little bastards didn't need to come to America for higher education, they came here to spy and steal secrets, amd we welcomed them with open arms!
    Then we tried making friends with the Rooskies, tried to shake hands with the bear, and look where we are today, billions in debt, and on the brink of war with the very people we welcomed!! Those little fuckers are laughing at our STUPIDITY, how could the most powerful nation on earth have fallen so hard after the end of WW-II!

SB21, Yard Dart, techsar and 6 others like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Greed. Corporate greed. Individual greed. Greed and power. One feeds the other. Mankind hasn't and will never change.

One of America's problems is also one of our major strengths: freedom. In an authoritarian or totalitarian society, we could simply not allow Chinese or Russians or etc. to even come into the country or throw them all out and consequences be damn because there wouldn't be any consequences. I remember visiting a village that Stalin emptied in one night, a village of thousands, sent them all to Siberia. He didn't trust the Asians, never did and probably for good reasons. The neighbors woke up the next morning and the village was empty simply by a stroke of a pen. Done. Gone. America did do something like this during WW2 with the Japanese-Americans out of fear. The difference was the crisis of WW2 as opposed to the simply will of Stalin. In Covid crisis, our Republic also torn up the Constitution and did as it pleased. I guess what I am saying here, while our Constitution does protect us to an extent it is not a guarantee against mankind's power and greed. Our enemies have learned to use our Constitution, our laws, against us. Looking at the USA now, you could say Senator Joe McCarthy was correct way more than even he thought. LOL!!!

Anyway, we can't throw them out or deny them access without suffering the damn consequences of undermining our own freedoms. We're damn if we do and damn if we don't and, yes, it is damn frustrating.

EDIT: Have you ever stopped and thought how if we could just implement a few laws how better and safer our country would be? Just a few like, Term Limits, Balance Budget, New Immigration Act... Maybe I will start a post about this as would like to hear everyone's ideas and discuss the pros and cons of them.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"...be anywhere in the US you wanted to be, along with everything you needed, where would you choose to be?"

I got sidetracked and didn't answer the poster's question. Right here, in North Idaho. Why? The people. I've been here 8 years now and the people living here, and those coming here, are like-minded common-sense individuals, adamant about personal freedoms and less government. 'God and Guns' type people. They have learned from the mistakes in Oregon and etc. and do not intend to make the same mistakes. When I first arrived, folks here were a different mindset, mainly they just wanted to be left alone - hell - that's why they came here or remain here but being common-sense folks, they quickly realized that individuals in that mindset get plowed over and buried by the Left but there is strength in numbers so now they organize quickly and reach out. So, here I am and here I remain because of the people of North Idaho. I wouldn't trust the South parts, especially around Boise, but those snowflakes down there know they better watch themselves and be careful how they push and where.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm in hot dry NM. The heat and lack of water will take care of most of the people I don't want around.

Ura-Ki, Zimmy, Altoidfishfins and 2 others like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If I wasn’t in Hospice Care, We would still be at our place in bush Alaska… No Roads in or out, only by boat or bush plane…our 100 Sq Mile neighborhood only has 10 or so residents.. and we have known all of them for Decades…

SB21, duane, johnbb and 7 others like this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I'm sure that there are better places to be than Alabama with no AC, but I'll stay right here... I might want to be farther out of town, but this will do! My people have been in this county for nearly 200 years, and this little piece of Alabama Red Clay for 100 years. This is where I make my stand, to live or die for Dixie!

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The only drawback is the proximity to Spokane. I thought long and hard about Northern Idaho and my main reason to hesitate is the probability of a Golden Horde coming out of that nearby metro area.

I'm really curious what the like minded locals think abou that threat and how to mitigate it?

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I've located a part of Eastern Idaho just west of the Tetons that is perfect for SHTF survival for a wide variety of factors. The local population is patriotic with a high percentage of military participation, is highly educated in STEM, not afraid to get their hands dirty, and most that aren't in agriculture have a background. No water issues, local small head hydro, teams of research scientists and engineers to keep things running. Socially family orientated and patriotic.

The area is easy to defend due to mountains and lava fields with only a few roads that all have natural choke points that are easy to defend. It's also positioned at a point where "Golden Hordes" would be pretty thin and not likely to go that direction as SLC hordes would be more interested in Pocatello - Twin Falls and on to Boise, and Boise hordes would likely to follow the path to SLC.

Hordes/raiders coming from the south would easily by stopped at a choke point near Blackfoot caused by lava beds. Destroy and block the road and nothing is getting through. Alternative entry points mean lengthy travel to get around other obstructions, each of which is also easily contained.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Zimmy like this.
  14. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

If i had a choice, western montana/idaho, or alaska. But everyone and there dog thinks the same.

Gator 45/70, CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Victor, Driggs, and Tetonia are some of best of Small Town America… I spent 3.5 years in that area, during the late ‘60s and early ‘70s..This was before the Westside Ski Area was opened that connected across to the Eastside Teton Village Ski Resort…

16. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

On former family land a couple hours west of San Antonio and well off the highway.

All you see at ground level is a rocky dry hell covered in cedar trees. The hidden canyons and arroyos are each a green oasis with natural springs, pecan trees, and grass as high as your waist. Lots of animals to hunt and great foraging. Formerly occupied caves to live in. Perfect.

mysterymet, DKR, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You could shift a little further east into Montana and be that much safer, especially the northern side, that gives you a super buffer against the hoards your worried about!

I don't think it's the city folk you need to worry about, in any numbers at least, it's the crazed liberal collage crowd from Seattle who think everything is theirs for the taking by right! This is where the worlds most proven tactic comes into play, stacking bodies where they are easy to see, the bigger the pile, the less likely a fresh group is gonna wanna try you!
    I still think upper Idaho where Bandit lives would be near perfect, you got the needed challenges to keep MOST of the hoards away, and can deal with the few who really want to try you! I used to have plans for the Steens Mountains, Even found a perfect spot you could only reach by SERIOUS 4X4, or Bush Plane, wife and I scouted it several times, NOBODY had ever stepped foot in that area! Another place we found was near Lassen on the south east side, though the wet side just west of the rails was pretty good too, again, you need a serious 4X4 or Bush Plane to reach those areas, the chances of having any uninvited guests is slim to none!

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I live just south of the Devils. anus and have been here all summer
    Feels like he's eaten habanero chili with beans. mixed with Fritos and has been blowing out the end results all month.
    Bring it on you red-horned bas*ard, You ain't getting a rookie here!

19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You live in Portland?

mysterymet, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

My area in north Idaho is restricted by two river crossings, so anyone controlling those bridges can keep the unwanted out. There's also a plus in having a Sheriff that thinks right.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7