B & S Engine Oil Change

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Illini Warrior, Oct 2, 2024.

1. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

just picked up a Troy-Bilt power sprayer on the cheap - changed out the carb and she's running like a champ >>>>

went to change oil on the B & S 7.75hp - 175cc engine >>> no frigging drain plug visible - checked with Troy-Bilt and they claim a forever oil - no change deal - just add new oil when necessary .....

anybody change out the oil on one of these deals - outside of tipping the whole sprayer until it runs out the dipstick check?

GOG and duane like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Use a Marine type suction pump and suck it dry! Never heard of a Lube for Life engine, don't believe in that bullshit, so get some good Mobil 1 high perf, with ZINK additive and run that!

3. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Can you drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the crank case and put a threaded plug. Lube for Life I agree BS guess BS engines now don't last long enough to need oil changing

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024
    duane, SB21, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I use a AC vac pump with a 5 gal propane bottle i have modified to hold the oil.
    Suck with a small tube and then new oil of good quality , run hot and another change with full Synthetic & additives (MOA) here .
    Sloth

duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

I don't believe in the high milage synthetic oil claims - much less "forever" >>> I question the oil that's in there now and I don't think there's many hours on the engine .....

I'm looking for the B & S specs on that particular engine to see if there might be a crankcase plug that Troy-Bilt is covering with the sprayer pump unit - ????? - that's what I was hoping to see in the replies

duane, SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. kckndrgn

Doubtful, I have a Troy-Bilt push mower that claims the same thing, just add as needed. I use the pump I mentioned to pull out the old oil and add new each spring.
    Next thing we know the auto manufacturers will be saying the same thing, just add oil as needed don't bother with changing it.

duane, SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Some new Volvo's do NOT have any dipsticks , you need to open up the drain pipe that's built in the plug . They are building time expired or just enough to get over warranty
    S

duane and GOG like this.
  9. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

They can get away with this because most people today don't know shit about any thing mechanical

duane, kckndrgn, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  10. No transmission dipstick on my 2019 chevy pickup

duane and Zimmy like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

No such thing as "forever oil" in a combustion engine.
    I say outdoor power equipment oil on engines that don't have a filter should be changed around 20 to 50 hours. More often if the engine is operated in a dusty or wet environment.
    To remove the oil ise an oil sucker or run it out to gas and drain the oil by removing the fill cap and tipping the engine over.
    Select oil by running by expected winter start and maximum run temperature.
    If the engine runs cool for whatever reason, less than 180f a 20 weight is good.
    If the oil hits 180 to 230f then a 30 weight oil is fine.
    220 to 250f then you probably want a 40 weight oil.
    Anything over 250f you probably want a 50 weight oil.
    Push mowers, air compressors, wood chippers, wood splitters typically get hot enough to use 30 weight oil.
    Generators, pressure washers, pumps if you run them full speed and riding lawnmowers run hot usually want a 40 or 50 weight oil in them.
    For the winter rating don't worry about it if you don't run it in the winter, lawnmowers, pressure washers, other pumps usually don't get ran in the winter so don't go out of your way to use a 0w or 5w oil in them.
    Pull start gerators that you want to use in the winter up north you will want that 5w or 0w oil.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2024
    duane likes this.
  12. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

No way to check or add to my Subaru transmission either. Considering it is hard to find transmission problems reported on vehicles with less than 400k miles, I find it amazing.

duane likes this.
  13. kckndrgn

My wife's 2015 Outback does have a fill/check hole but you have to access from under the car. How do I know this? Well, my son was asked to help change the oil on the car. He drained the transmission fluid, then added 5 or so quarts of oil to the engine. Yeah, I was not happy but at the same time it was not the end of the world. Drained the overfilled oil out and added the correct amount. However the transmission fill plug was jammed in and I could not remove it. Ended up taking the car to our mechanic and they did a transmission service (new filter and fluid). The car has just under 200k miles, so probably a little past due for some transmission work.

Cruisin Sloth and Zimmy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7