Army Runs Large Scale Tests on XM7 and XM 250

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by duane, Apr 7, 2024.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

US Army has started to issue the XM7 and the XM250 to selected groups for actual field testing and has issued contracts for optics and weapons. Don't know how it will work out but larger bullet, 6.8, suppressors, and operating rod action, so it has a chance. Sights do not include metal backup. Flash hider - suppressor should help in both dust signitures and hearing protection. Like old story about how you knew a tanker. HE WAS THE ONE THAT COULDN'T HEAR.

Army to field new rifle, machine gun and optic in 2024
    In 2024 US Army plans to equip soldiers with 6.8mm XM7 assault rifles & XM250 machine guns | Defense News December 2023 Global Security army industry | Defense Security global news industry army year 2023 | Archive News year

The optics are all computer and high tech. One estimate on cost per unit was $10,000 to 12,000. But it in theory be able to talk to your hi tech future helmet and to other computers. The quickest promotions in the next generation are going to go to the best surviving jammer operators and everyone is going to out to kill them so the new tech actually works

Army finally picks an optic for Next Generation Squad Weapon
    NGSW-FC « Daily Bulletin

Because of weight of new equipment and new round, combat loadout is going down about a third to 140 for rifle and 400 for XM340. Spray and pray will be in a couple minutes for either weapons system

The cartridge is a little strange, case has metal base, locking ring, and brass body and a high chamber pressure. It is about 80,000 PSI versus the average in military rifles of about 60,000. What the pressures etc will do to barrel wear will be interesting.

Sig 277 Fury Ballistics Chart

Here is army pictures of the rifle.

XM7 NGSW-R XM5 SIG MCX Spear 6.8mm assault rifle data

Interesting comments, sound good, don't know.

Sig Spear 7.62x51 is out and she's a porker | Page 4 | Sniper's Hide Forum

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    DuxDawg, CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I see a future where High Tech is actually a BAD THING! And battle field survivability will be the ultra low tech, Iron Sights, Dumb Bullets, and MK-1 eyeballs! All this new tech makes war unwinnable against a peer force, it will come down to the team with the ability to fight with out tech that will win!

Edit, being able to fight Low Tech against High Tech and not only survive, but thrive, that's the key, look at how well a bunch of Ukrainia are doing against Mother Russians finest, you throw millions of dollars against a problem, Ukraine throws low tech brain power and the unbeatable will to win at all costs, that's some powerful lessons we should be learning!

DuxDawg, 3M-TA3, duane and 1 other person like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Gee, a battlefield RF emitter on each Grunt....
    What could possibly go wrong?

“Comrade Li, I have multiple emitters at 300 Meters! Prepare a fire order...”

DuxDawg, Brokor, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Less ammo is the way to go, don't want to hurt any of those guys, gals and whatevers on the other side!

duane, CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Ummm, the Ukes are having their lunch handed to them unless you are listening to all the bullshit coming out of DC and the MIC bought and paid for generals that are about as useful as a jar of piss in a hurricane. Ukraine has had the best of NATO equipment and so called training but they don’t have air support and the West doesn’t have the industrial capacity to make all the ammo and equipment that the Ukes need, Russia does and in this case artillery wins the day.

duane and Zimmy like this.
  6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

80,000 psi chamber pressures will eat those barrels for lunch.

duane, DuxDawg, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Hmmmm. Seems we had our asses handed to us in Afghanistan and we had all of the latest tech then too.

duane, Zimmy and Altoidfishfins like this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's more about maintaining the image of the military being technologically superior than it is about actually fielding these new weapons. It's all a PR/Marketing campaign in reality, it is not an actual assessment of capabilities. I do know a little bit about the testing, having spent some time around some of those who only test experimental weaponry and equipment. Not everything we see is really going to ever make it to actual fielding and being issued to troops. Some of it may be used for special operations and black ops, or even tested long term as a fallback. And the guys from the labs really need something to do every day, so it's just good practice to keep some of these ideas out in the open but never fully finalized.
    I do see an eventual change to a new type of ammunition, perhaps lasers or railguns, who knows? The future of warfare is always fluid, evolving from day to day. The battleships of days past were defeated with air superiority, and land warfare witnessed the lack of need for heavy armored vehicles, especially in a desert. Further, the advent of drone technology has opened the door to a wide range of remote deployment of assets. I see no problem at all in the notion of humans being replaced with a technologically superior drone/robot and weaponry.

DuxDawg, duane and CraftyMofo like this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"Because of weight of new equipment and new round, combat loadout is going down about a third to 140 for rifle..."
    I cannot see this happening. Going into combat with only 140 rounds, less than 5 mags? Hell, even support troops in Vietnam carried more than that (200 rounds).

The battlefield is definitely changing $2M tanks are destroyed by ~$75K Javelin missile. An unmanned fighter drone could pull far more G's than a piloted fighter could, carry more weaponry, fuel and if shot down there is no body to recover, no casket to transport, no insurance or benefits to worry about. Big changes coming to the battlefield. Personally, I think the days of the big carriers are over. They will still have their place to project power and humanitarian scenarios but not so much on the battlefield.

DuxDawg, Brokor, duane and 1 other person like this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Soon we will have the weapons we wanted to fight the last war we lost so we can have them ready in time to fight the next war we lost. After that we will decide on a whole new weapons platform that would have been perfect for our most recent loss so we can use them inadequately for the one after that.

DuxDawg, 4x4, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  11. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

A good solar flare/CME and we’ll be looking for good rocks, a nice tree to make a bow, certain plants for cordage, a nice sharp piece of flint.

duane, DuxDawg and Brokor like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I hope the first test will be called the hamas experiment.

duane and 4x4 like this.
  13. 4x4

4x4 In the Basket of Deplorables

I don't believe it was because of the equipment it was due to poor leadership and too restrictive rules of engagement. The blue lipped Kenyan got a lot of good men killed.

14. 4x4

4x4 In the Basket of Deplorables

That's just the basic loadout they set them up with. No NCO is going to limit their Joes if they want to carry more. It will get heavy quick but I've never heard anyone say anything about how many mags and frags you want to carry as long as you have the basic loadout. All of this said, I've very skeptical of this whole project. I think decisions were made with a huge budget bankrolled by the taxpayer.

duane likes this.
  15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

We keep getting our collective asses handed to us by armies of goat herders and rice farmers using low tech weapons, and our response is to weigh our soldiers and marines down with more futuristic high-tech equipment and weapons that deliver less bang for more bucks. The biggest things that need changing is US foreign/military policy and the woke culture in the military. Wars, and military actions, should be rare and the military should be allowed to do whatever is necessary to win!

4x4, duane, DuxDawg and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7